PDA

View Full Version : Predator exchange/Living at nellis

Marly Lite
12th Aug 2006, 19:32
Have seen a recent trawl for volunteers to go to Nellis AFB to a certain UAV. I dissmissed it straight away but on reflection I can see some benefits...

So, assuming that:

a: I am accepted.
b: desky will let me go.

Can anyone let me know whether a youngish singly pilot will enjoy his time? Job satisfaction would be good but I'm prepared to sacrifice a little job satisfaction for a great lifestyle for a few years. (ie why trawl, is this not a good job??)

Basically i'm concerned that Vegas looks good but will wear thin quickly. Looking for knowledge from anyone in the know. Cheers, Marly.

Winco
12th Aug 2006, 20:52
Marly
Have you never done a Red Flag?
Vegas is great, but not for long! It's a complete mad house, where the lunatics run the asylum!
I loved going to 'Flags' for a couple or three weeks, but that was enough for me I'm afraid, it was great to get back to sanity (well almost anyway!)
And why would you want to fly a toy anyway?
The Winco

Background Noise
12th Aug 2006, 21:13
This is not a trawl cos its no good - just the usual 'its coming up, who's interested' signal. There are folks out there now, get in touch and ask them.

QFIhawkman
12th Aug 2006, 21:35
As background said, It's a trawl, but you're not guaranteed it! There'll be plenty of applicants!

Pros: You'll live in the states for a while, your accent will probably get you laid. It will look good on the F6000.
Cons: You'll be working for a foreign Air Force. It will be (in various parts) confusing, and infuriating. (But mostly infuriating!). THEY are not as professional as you may think! And american chicks will expect you to be Tom Cruise... i.e. you buy all the drinks... you're an aviator!

Have a go anyway son. How many other people get the chance?

Good luck

Flap62
12th Aug 2006, 23:18
A Good job!! Flying a couple of hundred weight of balsa wood around the desert!! Bugger me, you must be desperate!!

goatmanni
13th Aug 2006, 03:56
The signal states that it was probable that personnel would do at least 4 months OOA during the tour. Ask your deskie - it'll be more like 4 months every year! (thats what a colleague was told). Spending 1 year out of 3 in the sand and then the rest in the madhouse that is Vegas - no thanks.

Runaway Gun
13th Aug 2006, 06:44
As a bonus, BA and Virgin really dig those hours.

It's not like they take that many passengers on flights at the moment anyway. :p

Permanent Sand
13th Aug 2006, 10:53
On a personal note, I have seen all sides to this.

Yes Vegas is an asylum, but also can be a massive eye opener to a single, fun loving guy. It's a bit like London sometimes, full of tourists. You'll either love it or hate it. Also, the British accent will get you layed...many times!

1yr/3yrs in the sand? I'm not aware of current RAF deployment times as I'm more a sandy brown shade. But if that's around the time, isn't that what the average deployment is for you? By the way 2/3 is what some of us are doing these days.

Last but not least. Being aware of the fantastic job those things do, I'd take satisfaction of doing a top job well in front of possible deployment to the sand or other hair raising areas. I know we're all a little peeved at present situations in some way or another, but life goes on.

Good luck in your choice.

PS

BenThere
13th Aug 2006, 12:48
Life really is short. When you get the chance to do something extraordinary, I recommend grabbing it. You'll find plenty of time later for the mundane.

Additionally, people I know who live or have lived in Vegas tend to love it, and it has been America's fastest growing city for some time. There is a lot of natural beauty and recreational attraction nearby. It's great motorcycle country nearly every day of the year.

You've got to learn to control the gambling habit, though, or it will eat you up. And pay attention maintaining the air conditioner.

SkyHawk-N
13th Aug 2006, 13:37
I visited the Dayton Air Show and found one of our guys with a Predator and a large Union Jack flag. Got talking and he seems to really enjoy the job and the locations, he seemed genuine about it all but I suppose it could come down to personal preferences. It's probably worth talking to a few of them over there if you can.

Geehovah
13th Aug 2006, 14:43
Professionally be prepared for a lot of hard work. Long hours but doing a job that is right at the front of technology and giving direct support to operations. Expect time in other sunny climes. despite the uninformed BS you read, the operation is run by some talented individuals. Working with our cousins can be frustrating but also tremendously rewarding.

Vegas is Vegas and most people know the Strip and all its distractions. Once you're away from the Strip its like any other US city. Great quality of life but a brutal climate.

If you're looking for a holiday, try elsewhere. If you want a challenge it's unique.

Two's in
13th Aug 2006, 15:44
Vegas is Vegas, but courtesy of low cost carriers like Southwest you can be many places that aren't Vegas in an hour or less for not much money. Same can not be said for Kandahar/Basra. Go and do it.

Farm-for-sale
13th Aug 2006, 18:08
Gents, Ladies, All,

As part of the team out here in Vegas, we are more than happy to answer Q's for interested individuals. An info pack should be with all the desk officers by now, and they have our contact details out here. Best advice is to get this info from the horse's mouth and not Rumint. Look forward to speaking with you soon enough.

Cheers

SASless
13th Aug 2006, 18:15
Cons: You'll be working for a foreign Air Force. It will be (in various parts) confusing, and infuriating. (But mostly infuriating!). THEY are not as professional as you may think!

Good thing the job is in Las Vegas....at least the folks with upturned noses will not risk drowning in a drizzle.

Could be the last?
13th Aug 2006, 18:25
Q?

Is it pilots only? or is it open to WSOs?

foormort
13th Aug 2006, 20:52
Marly Lite
give any exchange a go. I am at Nellis, though not with the Predator team. What an overseas tour has given me is a sense of perspective on our own Air Force. I have been able to understand what bits I value and what I would love to change. There is a great deal more to Vegas than the strip. Come on out to the states and have a blast.

brit bus driver
14th Aug 2006, 21:44
Second that. My exchange tour was a blast (not that this is strictly an exchange, as I understand it). The chance to immerse yourself in another culture, see how another Air Force operates and then, in 3 years time, sort the wheat from the chaff is one not to be missed.

As for Vegas, yep, it's a helluva town, but as alluded to, nowhere is far away in these days of cut-price air travel. If you're considering it and don't apply, you'll be asking youself "what if?" until the day you hand back the blue suit.

LowObservable
15th Aug 2006, 03:54
Is it Nellis or Creech? If it is the latter, it's a fair distance from LV and Indian Springs is... well... not exactly the world's garden spot.

Spotting Bad Guys
15th Aug 2006, 09:09
Either way, you still live in LV - and given where most UK pers live the commute isn't much different in terms of time, although Creech is about twice as far.

Marly Lite
16th Aug 2006, 00:20
Thanks chaps. I need to do some more research on the job. The vegas accent thing has me sold though:E

SASless
16th Aug 2006, 00:46
The whole concept sounds like a lot of fun....interesting work...party town to live in...no rain to speak of...excellent travel destinations within driving distance...good food for very low cost....Hollywood entertainment....great place to start a fortnight holiday. If you have kids....a great opportunity for them to see some wide open spaces. Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Moab, San Diego, the Grand Canyon, back roads Nevada, the Pacific Northwest.

TheInquisitor
16th Aug 2006, 17:33
I have been asked by my desky if I'd be interested, and am giving it some serious consideration.

What kind of accomodation can you expect out there? I'd be doing it accompanied! (Yes I know, the words "Vegas" and "accompanied" in the same sentence conjures up some confusing thoughts!)

The info available to the deskys still seems to be quite thin on the ground, so if anybody out there has the 'inside story', feel free to PM me.

Fast but Safe
16th Aug 2006, 17:49
Feel free to PM me too!

Thanks.

truckiebloke
16th Aug 2006, 19:37
its my understanding that the job has been allocated already.... unless there are more than one jobs....

TheInquisitor
19th Aug 2006, 01:40
I understand that there are several posts coming up available.

Prop-Ed
19th Aug 2006, 18:03
I have looked into this job quite a bit. For me, it comes down to a lifestyle choice. The chance to live in a foreign country (that doesn't have "stan" or "Ira" in its name) for 3 years, being paid a substantial extra whack and having all the opportunities that go with living in Nevada make it a no brainer.

You only live once and I reckon you should see/do as much as possible in the short time we have.

Sure, it's "flying" a UAV but if you know anything about the job this "toy" does, you will also know it's anything but a toy.

Work to live, don't live to work! :O

P.S. The accommodation out there is what you can find within the rental grant the government gives you!!!!

TheInquisitor
19th Aug 2006, 19:49
Any idea how much that is for a Flt Lt?

Prop-Ed
19th Aug 2006, 21:53
I am led to believe it is in the region of $1800 per month for the house rent.

LOA is around $20 per day.

Prop-Ed
20th Aug 2006, 09:30
CK,

I understand your argument in relation to wanting a “real” cockpit. However, if you are close to retirement, then I’m sure you are aware it is a very different air force than the one you joined. Exchange posts are folding faster than superman on laundry day due to lack of funding and the chance of back to back flying tours from entry to exit in the RAF are 0².

The reality is, a ground tour is inevitable and the way I see it, this is a fantastic option. I have spoken to a number of pilots from both ME and FJ backgrounds who have returned from flying predator. All have stated it has been some of the most rewarding and challenging “flying” they have done.

There is more to life than not flying for a few years.:cool:

SASless
20th Aug 2006, 13:25
I love the comment about "real pilots" wanting a cockpit....not a computer mouse!

A "Real Pilot" wants in on the "action" where what you do means something....not just swanning about the place telling people you are a pilot.

There may be little risk of harm on the UAV job....but it sure sounds like an "operational" assignment where one is involved in the fight. That sounds like "doing" rather than "talking" to me.

Perhaps some that are so opposed to such a tour prefer talking to doing.

Prop-Ed
21st Aug 2006, 08:38
Well said SASless. :D

Does anyone know how the new slots out there are being sold to potential candidates?

CBA_caption
21st Aug 2006, 09:00
I'm reminded of the Dos Gringos lyric:

"They shot down a predator, well that's one less slot for me!"

Classic

Spoke to current chap whilst at Nellis recently and he was loving the job.

CBA