PDA

View Full Version : Dash-8

DaveO'Leary
11th Aug 2006, 19:22
Never been a pax (until next week) on a turboprop Dash-8 is it a bumby ride? See It's CATII
LGW-PHL

Dave

crew the screw
11th Aug 2006, 20:21
Noisey, bumpy but great. yep CAT 2. Try and sit down the back. quieter so easier to chat up the lovely hostie!!

Enjoy the real perf t/o / landings @ PLH:}

NudgingSteel
11th Aug 2006, 22:54
I beg to differ (apart from the hostie bit, can't comment!!!)....both the -200 and -400 ones I've flown on have been surprisingly smooth and comfortable, although yes noise is a bit of a problem in row 7 of the -400, where you are sitting about 24" from the propellor. Although nowhere near as bad as the back of a 737-200 from take-off until top of climb. That was pretty uncomfortable!

TightSlot
12th Aug 2006, 11:25
Philadelphia? Long legs for a Dash-8!!!

Eliason
12th Aug 2006, 11:29
The Dash 8 can be as smooth as any other airplane. Maybe if it is turbulent, you might feel it a bit stronger than on a bigger plane - but usually it's not to bad I'd say. (than again - I never did a real foen-approach in Innsbruck :E )

On a normal day no problem drinking the coffee (if you get served any :\ )

But than again - maybe it only seems smoother at my end ;)

If you're on the -300 it's row number 5 where you look straight over on the props :eek:

nivsy
13th Aug 2006, 12:05
I love the dash 8 as a pax. Used the aircraft often between Glasgow and Bristol until BA put on the cigar tube Embraers.

Flew Air Nostrum Dash 8 from Lisbon to Malaga couple of weeks back. Pleasure of flying again obvious. Cheery and pretty cabin staff, Cajva in a proper glass - coffee in a proper cup and choice of food and real plates and cuttlery with really good leg room.

My outward leg ws by Iberia AB320 and the MD87. (via Madrid) and like a tin of sardines and have to pay for everything

Dash 8 - Aircraft was clean, quiet and just great!

Nivsy

10secondsurvey
13th Aug 2006, 13:21
Flown on the Flybe Q400's many times, and prefer them to regional jets. The Q400's are nowhere near as noisy, in my opinion, as some of the older turboprops I've flown in.

On short flights, there is little difference in journey time compared with say, an embraer 145.

Middle Seat
14th Aug 2006, 20:36
I love flying the Dash-8, and I will always pick a dash-8 over a mainline if I'm given an option. I've flown on Dash-8s operated by Horizon, USAirways Express (don't know which provider), as well as Caribbean Sun.

The newer Q-series aircraft are much quieter than their older sisters, and sometimes more comfortable (all depends on the operator layout). Horizon offers all leather seats, and complimentary micro-brews and wine on flights, so that's always a fine option after a day's work (won't find freebie wine or beer on many US domestic flights).

Cloud Chaser
17th Aug 2006, 14:16
Standard fit on the Q400 is Cat II although they can be upgraded to Cat IIIa if an optional head-up display if fitted to the captains window.
Regarding the bumpy ride, it can be more noticable than some aircraft but comparable to types of a similar size.

Avman
17th Aug 2006, 20:34
Had a few rides lately on the Q400. Smooth and surprisingly quiet for a turboprop. Sure it'll bump about in weather, but, in my opinion, no more so than any other airliner of a similar size. I liked it.

P.S. Didn't realise that the DHC-8 had an ETOPS Extended Range version (LGW-PHL) ;)

FunFlyin
23rd Aug 2006, 14:50
How was your flight? :p

Eliason
7th Sep 2006, 08:43
Just to put it somewhere further up front again:

DaveO'Leary - please update us! How did you enjoy (or not?) the flight??? :)

Hampshire Hog
7th Sep 2006, 16:06
Lovely smooth (usually quiet) little airliner. They have some electronic noise reduction, which doesn't always work. Your ears will tell you when it's not!

I've flown on quite a few owned by Flybe. One peculiarity on some models (airline dependent) is that they don't all have automatic prop feathering. This means that the pilots put the prop to fine pitch shortly before landing - in case of a go-around - which can cause a noise (and feeling) that alarms some pax. Fine when you know what it is.

HH

10secondsurvey
7th Sep 2006, 16:16
slightly off topic,

I read somewhere on pprune, that Flybe are now the largest regional airline in the UK. Can anyone more in the know confirm this is correct?

BusterHot
9th Sep 2006, 10:30
HH

Not quite true. All flybe's -400's have "Autofeather" but it's only used for take-off, not for approach/go-around. Take-offs without AF are not allowed.

Until recently, on final approach, the condition levers were advanced from the cruise rpm setting of 850 to 1020 to give extra power in the event of a go-around. This was both noisy inside the cabin and on the ground. Aircraft are progressively being modifed to allow reduced Np approaches. A "Reduced Np" button is pressed, "Reduced Np Landing" is annunciated on the ED, and as long as the condition levers are advanced to 1020 within 15 seconds, "Reduced Np" stays armed, the rpm remains at 850, but when the go-around button is pressed the rpm automatically advances to 1020. Neat. Less noise on final approach.

SAS have had the mod for years and according to those that've had to use it, it works a treat. Makes you wonder why we have levers at all - probably only for type commonality between the -300 and -400.

Chesty Morgan
9th Sep 2006, 10:36
- probably only for type commonality between the -300 and -400.

Exactly right. A couple of buttons wuold have done the job instead:ugh:

flyingbug
10th Sep 2006, 10:00
I believe that the levers were left (as you mentioned) to keep aircraft types (300 & 400) similar enough for a common type rating. Having said that, its a shame because the Q400 would have been great fully modernised with full autothrottle to compliment the EFIS system. The operating systems are in most respects v. close to Airbus, however Bombardier left just enough sufficient older style systems (ie levers) to overcome re-rating concerns.