PDA

View Full Version : ICD for rare heart condition

jonnyvtec
11th Aug 2006, 13:40
I was due to start training with NATS last year until my medical where i was identified as having the Brugada syndrome (Sudden Adult Death Syndrome) from my ECG, i had a medical with NATS who then refered me to the CAA,

The CAA couldnt grant a licence as there isnt enough understanding of this and with a risk of 'semi-incapacity' or 'total incapacity' they said they had to play it safe ad not give me a medical cert.

Now since then Ive had an Implantable Cardioverter defibrillator fitted which i guss removes the chance of total incapacity as I'll almost certainly come round if my heart went into VF thanks to the ICD.

Do I have any chance of getting a medical to allow me to perform ATC duties with NATS, I just want to exhaust every possible avenue to get into NATS as Im pretty fed up with Engineering.

Any input at all would be great.

Thanks

rhovsquared
14th Aug 2006, 02:35
Actual Medicine and the releavant laws can be far removed from one another, you really need to ask an AME from your county

it's one reason I don't talk about issues here more I know pathophysiology, but not the laws :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

rhov :)

jonnyvtec
23rd Aug 2006, 20:05
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Whats an AME

rhovsquared
23rd Aug 2006, 22:13
sorry, AME = aviation medical examiner,
actually, with a AICD you run less a risk of 'sudden cardiac death' than a 'normal' person; 'cuz, basically you have a portable ACLS [Advanced Cardiac Life Support] team -sort of- right there!!! 24 hours a day:} , most folks don't. and today's devices:ok: :ok: :ok:
1.keep the apointments pertaining to the scheduled checks of the device,

2. inform the folks if for whatever reason there might be-that it is there, if you need an MRI-scan-they'll ask-but just in case ;) .

One PACK Maybe Operated On Take-Off Without a Thrust Penalty:}

rhov :)