PDA

View Full Version : Differences in cancellations from carrier to carrier

WHBM
11th Aug 2006, 10:32
Interesting to look at how the current situation is handled differently by different types of airlines.

Both BA shorthaul and EZY seemed to have made some pretty clear sweeps, certainly all the domestics and many of the European flights just scrubbed.

Overseas carriers coming through Heathrow do not seem affected to anything like this extent with their departures.

The UK charter carriers, who at this time of year are probably getting more flying hours out of their fleets than even Easy or Ryan, as they schedule flights through the night, seem even less affected, with few/no cancellations at all. Some delays but often no more than par for the course with them at this time of year, Flyjet even arriving early on one occasion, some sort of record surely :)

Why the differences ? Same security procedures for all.

Avman
11th Aug 2006, 18:45
Don't know about BA, but EZY have been cancelling loads of flights due to crew shortages for some time. This incident has given them a good excuse to cancel some more and save on some valuable crew hours which can be put to good use later. Pure speculation on my part of course.

TightSlot
12th Aug 2006, 11:37
A press release from my employer (charter), relating to August 10th includes the folowing:

We operated 194 sectors - 1 in 5 departed ontime, 1 in 4 departed within 15 mins and just over half (53%) departed within 1 hour
All flights were operated - no cancellations or consolidations
To my knowledge, there have not been any cancellations or consolidations since then.
I'm slightly (quietly) proud of this!!!