PDA

View Full Version : Duty Free

blazing_air
11th Aug 2006, 08:49
I apologise if this has been covered before, but can you still get in the duty free shops for some cheap fags and take them on board in a clear bag, as it is past central search ??

rugmuncher
11th Aug 2006, 09:28
Depends on "local interpretation" of the current policy!

Although, if you watch the BBC you will see images of one woman sitting with her plastic bag and within it her passport, a packet of fags and a bic lighter!!

:ooh:

MichaelJP59
11th Aug 2006, 10:30
According to the recent briefings, you can only go through security with the minimal stuff in a plastic bag, but once there you can purchase anything you like.

This should be a bonanza for the retail shops in the terminals!

Xeque
11th Aug 2006, 12:15
Buy it on arrival. It's probably going to be a lot cheaper than BAA's Duty Free prices.

fly_high
11th Aug 2006, 15:50
Remember, it's "Duty Free" and not "Profit Free". As folk have said, there are sometimes better deals to be had on arrival.

White Hart
11th Aug 2006, 19:01
According to the recent briefings, you can only go through security with the minimal stuff in a plastic bag, but once there you can purchase anything you like.

Not sure about this. Mrs WH (she works for American) just got home from T3 LHR, and her briefing was that anything other than what was (legally) allowed in the plastic bag was forbidden onto the aircraft. If you bought it in Duty Free, it most definitely did not go onto the flight with you. She says there were numerous instances of SLFs at the departure gate with DF puchased items - they were all sent back to DF to get a refund - no exceptions. (note - this may only be the case for SLFs going to the USA)

Dan Air 87
11th Aug 2006, 20:17
This is very worrying news indeed as my Mrs loves going from LHR for the shopping. Taking her through next week to the USA for a few days and my life will be hell if she can't go shopping and take it with her on the plane. Wonder if the airlines are still selling duty free's from the crew??

All of this lack of shopping must be a huge blow to BAA's profits. Now instead of going shopping for things we can't carry on to the plane we will just have to go to a bar and bide our time there!

fly_high
11th Aug 2006, 22:53
This is very worrying news indeed as my Mrs loves going from LHR for the shopping. Taking her through next week to the USA for a few days and my life will be hell if she can't go shopping and take it with her on the plane.

If this level of security remains I should imagine that the larger stores will begin to offer delivery on items purchased post-security. If you can't take it on board and can't consume the item before you travel then they'll either have to find some way of getting it sent to your home, or shut up shop.

TSR2
12th Aug 2006, 19:21
Current situation 12th August.

For all flights except those departing to USA destinations, passengers may shop freely once through security control and take duty free purchases on board the aircraft.

For flights to USA destinations duty free purchases may NOT be taken on board but arrangements can be made for collection on return OR delivered to home address.

BEagle
12th Aug 2006, 19:29
So, the over-the-top security restrictions also grant BAA a monopoly on flogging things from their shops. Obviously the loss of profit caused this change.....

Utterly absurd. I hope that all those inconvenienced by the excessive UK restrictions will boycott BAA's shops until things return to sanity.

TSR2
12th Aug 2006, 21:51
The restrictions are a government directive and apply to all UK airports not just those controlled by BAA.

Far better an over-reaction than an under-reaction. Inconvenience is a small price to pay compared with the possible alternative outcome. You simply cannot take chances.

christep
14th Aug 2006, 02:22
Far better an over-reaction than an under-reaction. Inconvenience is a small price to pay compared with the possible alternative outcome. You simply cannot take chances.
That simply isn't true. In every other area of transport safety there is a price put on a human life: "how much is it worth spending on sorting out this road accident blackspot" is a calculation done frequently. The price in the UK is (if I recall from memory) about GBP1M. In other words, if a blackspot kills on average 5 people per year then the authorities will spend up to GBP5M sorting it out. If it would cost more than that then they won't do it.

I would say that at the moment the implicit value on a life lost to airborne terrorism is being put far higher (in terms of direct costs and indirect disruption to everyday life) than that in any other form of safety calculation.

Personally, I think there is room for differentiation in the market here. In the same way that I can buy a car with fewer or more airbags I should be able to buy my travel with fewer or more intrusive "security" hassles. At the moment I can exercise that choice only by finding ways to avoid the UK and US...

TightSlot
14th Aug 2006, 06:06
I think we have got as far as we can get here, and with the change of rules on hand-baggage announced this morning, it is time to close this thread.

A new thread has been started by BEagle, SECURITY - Revised Uk Rules (14 Aug 2006) (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=238932) and I've made it stick to the forum top for a while: Please continue your discussions there.