PDA

View Full Version : Council Tax

Wrathmonk
11th Aug 2006, 08:09
I know this subject has been discussed before but I couldn't help noticing the following article on page 8 of the Aug 10th edition of the Daily Telegraph (short article, no link, so reproduced in full) :

TA Medic Wins Council Tax Case

A medic in the Territorial Army has won a three-year legal battle after refusing to pay council tax while serving in Iraq.

I** B****** [my editing], 39, refused to pay while serving during the 2003 Gulf war after discovering that his council tax benefit would be stopped.

Magistrates at Beverley, East Yorks, quashed the demand for £230 in arrears yesterday because local authorities now had discretionary powers to allow TA soldiers serving abroad a discount on their council tax.

Now, back in 2003 I challenged my local council on the basis that when criminals get detained at Her Majesties pleasure their partners / spouse / live in lovers etc are able to claim the single occupancy rebate on the basis that whilst banged up they cannot take advantage of all the council services. I argued that time spent at AAS was probably worse than time in the local open prison but was nevertheless told I was not eligible for a refund / rebate (although, strangely, they did give me a 25% discount when I became a full time [and still gainfully employed] residential student for a year!:p ).

I would just be curious if anyone has successfully challenged their council on the basis of an OOA detachment / deployment or indeed if anyone knows if there has been a change to the rules that has not been given much publicity. Does it only apply to TA / reservists? In fact do the Navy get any rebate for their sea-time or is that what sea pay (not sure if that is what it is called and stand by to be put right by the WAFUs who cruise this site!) is for?

Appreciate this may not be directly related to aviation but getting money back from your local council comes damn close - 25% rebate of my council tax would keep me in beer for a week or two if nothing else!

WPH
11th Aug 2006, 08:34
Wrathmonk,

Slightly different circumstances but I made a challenge to my council regarding the single occupancy discount and after going to the Ombudsman - won!

My wife (girlfriend at the time) lived in our house while I lived in at an RAF base 200 miles away. I argued that I paid council tax for my on base accommodation and that she should get single occupancy discount on our home. The council did not agree. The rules say that no individual can be liable for council tax at two separate locations. When on base you don't actually pay council tax you pay Contribution in Lieu Of Council Tax (CILOT) - a percentage of the base's overall bill. Therefore, you are not actually liable or paying council tax!

I argued that, regardless of how it is wrapped up the individual is still forking out money. The Ombudsman agreed and the council issued a re-bate and allowed single occupancy. The process took about 8 months but kept me out of the bar! Not a bad outcome since single occupancy discount is worth more that not paying CILOT.

This is all from memory (at least 5 years ago), I may be able to get more info if required - PM me.

And good luck!

Regards,
WPH

Talk Reaction
12th Aug 2006, 09:44
I am currently speaking to both my council and MP as I only found out this April (when my council sent an expensive looking brochure stating how council tax was paid which listed exemptions, one of which was that if you were living at HMP you did not have to pay council tax...)

My interest is along the lines that as I live in my house alone, when I'm OOA for 4 months why do I continue to pay whereas, single chav crim who steals a few pieces of Liz Duke Bling and spends 4 months in a real buliding doesn't pay. In reality I can't imagine that it would cost councils much....

:p :ugh:

buoy15
12th Aug 2006, 15:52
Not sure about your council but it's something to do with beauracracy
For a 5% rebate, inspectors (spies) will visit to ensure a valid claim
At least 6 months not lived in whilst your away - prove it!
No squatters or gypsies keeping the place warm?
Removed all the carpets and curtains before you went away?
No phone or electricity bills except standing charges?
No cars parked outside?
Partner is sole occupant of the garage?
Grass not more than 3" high?
Bins not emptied for more than 4 weeks?
No signs of a recent party?
Spectacular but not surprising - your not allowed to rent your house/quarter as a holiday home when at war and living in desert/tent conditions because your defending your country and the local councillors expenses and allowance packages Ha!
Joke about beaurocrats
Ask them to jump out of the window
It will take them a week to reach the ground

Kim Il Jong
12th Aug 2006, 18:41
Live in HMP Akrotiri, you'll still pay council tax on living in accommodation, even though threre's no F**kin council. Daylight robbery.:ugh:

FFP
12th Aug 2006, 18:45
And they say nurses have it hard . . . . .. .

Marly Lite
12th Aug 2006, 19:44
Anyone had a run-in over TV licences? Currently live-in during the week but have own home with fully paid up tv licence.

Now I know that technically I should have 2 licences, but I'm buggered if I'm gonna pay for 2 when I can only be in one place at any one time. (Especially as I don't want to live in either!!)

Any one been stung over this? Do I still have to lock the telly in the wardrobe on every inpection tip-off. ( leaving that innocent looking tv shaped dust-free area on the table)???

SirToppamHat
12th Aug 2006, 20:27
Marly Lite

You don't say whether you live alone at home with anybody? If not, why not simply (?) change the address on the TV licence through the internet ever time you change location?

It would be interesting to know how they would react to this and whether the system cuold keep up with your weekly change of address.

Kim Il Jong

Must be terrible living in the Med ... I can hear hearts bleeding from Kinloss to Portreath. Why not move out of Service Accommodation if it's such an issue?

STH

Marly Lite
12th Aug 2006, 23:34
Sir TH,

Had thought of a weekly change of address, but I think the amusement factor would rapidly diminish!!

Geehovah
13th Aug 2006, 15:07
Wrote to my MP on this very topic a while ago. I asked why I paid CT on my home in UK (unoccupied) yet paid CT on a nominal MQ located in the USA when I receive no free local services. "Double dipping" as it's known in the US.

The reply from the Office of the Deputy PM was that the decision on reduced discount (50% to 10%) on "Second Homes" now lies with local councils. ODPM had consulted (not clear with whom but presumably MOD) and, as they received "few responses", applied the policy so that "the concession was retained where the main home is anywhere in Great Britain".

So I guess those of us overseas carry on paying out twice.