PDA

View Full Version : Who is this git?

Chairmanofthebored
10th Aug 2006, 12:05
I know the 'worlds greatest helicopter' has been discussed plenty.
I have a couple of questions I would rather have experienced pilots answer:
Why no S76?
When did the Lynks become a 'production' helicopter?
Why no Blackhawk?
Why no Astar??
Why no H369?
Why no Mil 17? Hind??
What about the Puma?

Shawn Coyle I know and respect, the Mil 26 pilot I can laugh with, the historian knows his stuff, Dan Reyno knows his business.
BUT who is Q. Smith? Why is he the WORLD CHAMPION of PILOT and what is his history with helicopters. He sure has plenty of sarcastic comments about machines I would gather he has never even cleaned.
Is the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP of helicopter pilots much like the 'world series of baseball' for Britain? Us Aussies should get our own world champs together and do it somewhere challenging like the highlands of PNG, with a 200ft line thrown in, a bunch of brahman to collect, a drum of gas under a tree 100nm's out there with a buggered Garmin 50 and a dodgy drum pump with only one screwdriver somewhere under the seat, a night rescue off the GB reef in a longranger, some venison recovery. You get my drift?

foreigner
10th Aug 2006, 12:58
I think you'll find his "history with helicopters" is great. I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong but he has been, and has trained World helicopter champions, he's been around the world.. twice, and broke some record doing it. He's been North pole to South pole I think 1 1/2 times, and broke some record doing that. Love him or hate him, he is one hell of a good pilot.

canterbury crusader
10th Aug 2006, 13:18
Why does that make him one hell of a good pilot. It might mean he is a wealthy pilot but a fresh ppl could fly around the world if they had the money, and whats with the North pole to South pole I think 1 1/2 times. Is that the same as making 1 1/2 skydives - he nailed the exit from the plane but ran into jet halfway down, still great exit.

sorry

Shawn Coyle
10th Aug 2006, 13:26
As one of the people on the program, I have to say I was more than slightly surprised at the choice of helicopters. There was not any rationale presented as to why these were chosen - it seemed to be the producer's favorites.
And the technical knowledge of helicopters by the people producing the program was pretty low, something I tried to correct.

SASless
10th Aug 2006, 13:41
I had mixed emotions on the decision....although I love Hueys and was flying one at the time of the decision....I shall always be a Chinook pilot in Heart and Soul!

Thridle Op Des
10th Aug 2006, 14:14
Sadly missed the program, I came to the conclusion that if I had 'Discovery' on TV then I would develop the 'Nuclear Submarine' suntan and never leave home! SAS you just miss those things swapping ends with the stab out!

TOD

rudestuff
10th Aug 2006, 15:02
I think its a matter of budget - maybe those were theonly ones they had enough archive film on - or could afford to rent for filming...

I agree - should have had the 500, bo105 and a lot of others

R22 one of the 10 greatest helicopters? come on....!

rotorspin
10th Aug 2006, 15:08
cue the robbie 22 fans for a 30 page debate on why the 22 is a top 10....... :ugh:

helicopter-redeye
10th Aug 2006, 16:07
.... BUT who is Q. Smith? ... and what is his history with helicopters..... You get my drift?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Note, syncho eye rolling ..

twinstar_ca
10th Aug 2006, 16:43
just for the record, it's mike reyno, not dan.. mike's the owner/publisher of vertical magazine... :ok:

rudestuff
10th Aug 2006, 20:20
Why is he a git?

He may have that 'Wing commander' 'tache thing going on, but he seems like a decent bloke to me.

Are you a git?

Chairmanofthebored
10th Aug 2006, 21:24
Nope, I'm a geezer.
Mike not Dan... Right. My blue.
I'd just be nice to see an accurate representation of our industry - the real industry where men and women, are exposed to risk, living in shocking parts of the world and performing incredible feats of flying daily. Shawns illustration of hovering was excellent and now I assume SAS was flying the Iroquois?
Anyone with enough money and a Garmin can find their way to the North Pole. I have been close a couple of times but was too busy making a living to goof off and visit. The same is for the South Pole.
Now the lad who landed on Everest - he achieved something.
Its a shame it's jaded my impression of DC.

topendtorque
10th Aug 2006, 21:30
but a fresh ppl could fly around the world if they had the money

I didn't see the program,
Q, - or, - Tricky Dickie - did you say old boy?

The best? jesus you blokes lets start with the 47.

John Galt
11th Aug 2006, 00:13
Charman of the Board. Just for your info the 'World Series' of baseball was named after the 'World Newspaper' in New York from many years back. regards JG

maxeemum
11th Aug 2006, 00:20
Yeah the B-47, I think I recall seeing an episode where, Skippy chucked the pilot out of the front seat, strapped in and flew through the Waratah national park solo looking for stranded hikers on a limestone ridge. If the Kangaroo can fly it how hard is/was it?

Go Skip Go!!!!!

:D

Nigel Osborn
11th Aug 2006, 02:02
Max
I was the pilot Skippy threw out!!! That was a long time ago; 1967!!

Q.S is the son of Mary & Mike Smith, ex Royal Navy. Mike was an excellent pilot but quite mad, so it's not surprising that Q inherited those genes!:ok:

maxeemum
11th Aug 2006, 02:28
Tony Bonner? Is that you Nigel?, mate those shorts you wore were spray painted on! Would have made an emerg egress bloody difficult.

:ok:

Max

Verbatim03
11th Aug 2006, 02:37
Is that the same as making 1 1/2 skydives - he nailed the exit from the plane but ran into jet halfway down, still great exit.

Haha that is classic!

Nigel Osborn
11th Aug 2006, 03:34
Max
No, I'm not Tony! He was taught to start the 47 & then we would hop in & do the flying. As the 47 was on fixed floats, we would rock it on the ground so that it looked like Tony was flying it as the camera was angled upwards. All very basic in those days. The whole crew were a great bunch & we all had a ball.

RINKER
11th Aug 2006, 09:37
If it wasn't for skippy i would'nt have become obsessed with helicopters (showing my age now) and my bank balance would be a lot healthier.Go skippy go my ar*+e.!.

topendtorque
11th Aug 2006, 13:27
We can all learn a bit from Skippy - lands on two legs every time with a tail for balance. Wasn't there a second series skippy as well?

no the 47 is not hard to fly max, I've seen plenty of ex mil jocks so far above 500 ft while they're trying to sort it out that I used to get neck ache looking at them, must be that lack of augmentation stuff.

But a smoth as glass 47 on a crystal clear crisp morning, a panorama of fat cattle waddling around in gently waving 'vision splendid' country, now that is the way to go to work!

But seriously for a moment seems we have a comp here - who is the maddest smith of all?

Genetically one is stamped,
around the poles they both fly.
PPL's and money to be burned,
the oz model was shot at by rifle fire.

Both appear to be on an ego trip,
whatever did they do for us common lot?
I'm buggered if i know who is the biggest trick,
you tell me, ours gave us a hot refuel for our lot.

imabell
11th Aug 2006, 22:50
i was lucky enough to get thecontract for the last two series, 26 episodes of skippy.

they were made at warner bothers studios near the gold coast.

i still operate the aircraft a 47g2a built in 1966, hotel bravo yankee.

http://www.bluetonguehelicopters.com.au/pprune/skippy.jpg

:cool:

maxeemum
11th Aug 2006, 23:16
Yes I must admit the B47 looks like a lot of fun to fly, lots of visibility. When I tell folks the first helo I ever touched was an AS350B straight off fixed wing they look at me like I am on serious drugs. 350's to S-70's and some 206 mixed in for good luck, its all good. Loved skippy as a kid and to IAMABELL and Nigel well done, that gig would have been a blast. Growing up in a Rangers station with choppers to hang around in and bush walks through the Waratah NP would be a kids dream.

Have only flown manual fuel in emergs and like most things in Aviation, once youre in ths slot "Don't F - - K with it". So I can't comment on ungoverned throttles on the collective head on early 47's. BUT.........

Back to the thread which Smith has the biggest P--IS?

Max

:cool: