PDA

View Full Version : Allergic to Perfume

747dreamliner
10th Aug 2006, 08:05
I am allergic to perfumes and they give me headache! I couldn't find any information regarding this in the whole net. I am yet a student, Can anyone please advise me if it's going to cause many problems for me in the future?
Thanks,

gingernut
10th Aug 2006, 10:16
Its unlikely, unless you have a very smelly girlfriend.

All joking aside, there are some very effective treatments which should be able to damp down your immune system in order for you to cope with your symptoms. Don't take any of these and fly a plane without checking with a reliable source, which won't be found on this forum I'm afraid.

747dreamliner
12th Aug 2006, 07:29
Thx for your post! I feel more relaxed now! I am afraid you are completely right!

Mac the Knife
12th Aug 2006, 18:12
....a reliable source, which won't be found on this forum I'm afraid.

Speak for yourself, Jim...

Good tactic that. Discredit everyone so your own b*ll*cks won't show up so much!

:ok:

gingernut
13th Aug 2006, 10:34
Sorry you feel the need to be so personal.

I find it difficult to understand your attack on my character, especially as you have never met me, but I guess your outburst says more about you, than it does me.

There is realms of advice on this forum that reflects current opinion and evidence- if you spend enough time on here, you soon realise who the credible posters are. (yourself included). By the very nature of medicine, there will be occasions when opinions differ, and this forum does offer a vehicle to debate the options in a mature way. (the "limping child" thread is a good example.)

However, it does concern me that some posts on this forum, offer advice which goes against current opinion, which could lead to possible harm. Unfortunately, it's sometimes difficult for the uninitiated to differentiate between the two.

Have a good week. If there is a particular bit of b*ll*cks you disagree with, let me know, I'll be happy to look at it again.

Evileyes
13th Aug 2006, 16:49
gingernut,

You said:

"Don't take any of these and fly a plane without checking with a reliable source, which won't be found on this forum I'm afraid."

That is vastly different from saying that no medical information given on PPRuNE (or any other reliable source as you put it) can replace that of a qualified Flight Surgeon/AME, which would have been correct.

Advice is valuable and available on this forum but in fact, the Flight Surgeon/AME's answer is the only legal one for aviators.

However, stating that the posters on this forum have no crediblity reflects poorly on your credibility as well. If you can't contribute to these discussions without slinging rocks perhaps you should find another outlet?

gingernut
14th Aug 2006, 08:44
Yes looking back on my original comments, they do appear a little inflammatory.

I have no doubt that some contributions on this forum are highly credible and reliable, however, there are many occasions when advice placed on this forum goes against current medical thinking, and could lead to harm for a vulnerable, worried individual who has no reliable way of scrutinising such information.

(I can cite many examples- I'm sure you can find them yourself, but feel free to PM me if you require examples- I'm don't wish to identify well meaning individuals in an open forum.)

Perhaps the role of the moderator should be looked at in more detail- should you have more of a scrutinising role ?

I hope you find my criticism is constructive. I'm not having a go at individuals, but I do think that there is scope to improve the safety and effectiveness of the forum.

tart1
14th Aug 2006, 09:33
On the subject of perfume and headaches ... I also find that some perfumes give me a headache and also the smell of vanilla.

This isn't usually a problem as I can obviously avoid wearing strong perfume but I find that some people wear such excessive amounts of perfume that it is impossible to avoid it if one is sharing the same space.

The worst place to get stuck near someone wearing industrial quantities of scent is a restaurant. This has happened to me a couple of times and it has meant that my meal has been ruined. :* It is more anti-social than smoking IMVHO. (At least you can ask to be moved away from someone smoking but it is embarassing to ask to be moved because of the way someone smells!) :* :*

It would be nice to find a cure!!

min
14th Aug 2006, 10:29
You appear to have some 'issyouse' with this forum, gingernut. To put things into context, I'll refer to the quote at the start of the forum:

"News and debate about medical and health issues as they relate to aircrews and aviation. Any information gleaned from this forum MUST be backed up by consulting your state-registered health professional or AME".

Personal opinions in answer to queries are always just that - personal opinions, and should never be acted upon without consideration. Whilst I don't want to answer on behalf of my fellow moderators at this point, our role is not one of 'scrutinising' in general. It is has never been our role to answer definitively, any medical queries that are put forward. They are put forward for answer/opinions/thoughts/experiences of those that contribute to this forum, many of whom have exceptional knowledge, qualifications, and a wealth of experience. Our role pertains more to facilitating discussion, rather than being 'educators' or 'counsellors' per se. Thanks for the constructive criticism, but I do feel we are comfortable with the way the forum works at this point in time.
Apologies for threadjacking, back to the perfume :)