PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Security ex-UK

Gerontocrat
10th Aug 2006, 05:53
My wife is travelling back home today following a short visit to the UK. As recommended by most airlines, she always carries her jewellery as hand baggage - thus ensuring that it can not go missing. Under the new regulations announced today (http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/page/dft_about_612280.hcsp,) everything, including handbags, must be checked in.
While I support all security measures, I wonder if anybody can tell me who will be responsible for any losses due to lost baggage? I must add, she is returning with Ryanair!

cavortingcheetah
10th Aug 2006, 07:06
:hmm:

I suppose one could hire one of those little jet things that are so popular these days. I believe that the smaller ones are not very expensive to rent.
But if family moolah doesn't stretch to that and, by the sounds of it, if one has to lower oneself to travel with the rabble, it doesn't, then jewellery should be covered under the specified items part of one's 'All Risks' insurance policy.:E
The airline will only be liable for, I think, a statutory and stated amount. In Ryanair's case perhaps anyone might expect the worst case scenario.
One reasonable solution to the quandary here would be for the wife to dress up to the nines for the flight and wear all her jewellery on board the cattle steamer. She might look a little out of place with all the other Ryanair verminous ruffians, although I am sure that she would be a conversation piece; but at least she might bring the ice home.

oliversarmy
10th Aug 2006, 10:05
she could always wear it, i mean, that is the general idea of jewellery :ugh:

slim_slag
10th Aug 2006, 10:21
If it's decent jewelry that's insured through your home contents policy, which is the only practical way of insuring the stuff, it will probably only be insured out of the house if it is being worn.

MichaelJP59
10th Aug 2006, 12:29
So are you not even allowed to take a newspaper or a book on board? Seems a bit extreme!

Middle Seat
10th Aug 2006, 16:18
How about sending it via a DHL or FedEx shipment, heavily insured? It is costlier, but you may have greater comfort that way.

...if they'll let you ship such items.