PDA

View Full Version : Flying From East Midlands to Sounthend

ghandou
9th Aug 2006, 21:09
Hi guys,

I want to plan a flight from East Midlands Airport to Southend Airport but am having trouble deciding on my route. Has anyone flown this journey before and if so what route did you fly and to which ATC's did you communicate with along the way? Also I'm a bit confused about when to file a flight plan and when it's not really necessary, would this type of journey entail a flight plan?

Any info would be of great help :ok:

FullyFlapped
9th Aug 2006, 23:00
Two simple answers : a straight line takes you through Stanstead zone, and the chances of a VFR transit through their overhead are, in my humble experience, pretty slim : or you route around. The simplest, non-transiting, non-very-low-level-corridor route will be something like East Mids-Cambridge-Earls Colne-Sarfend, and I'd talk to (assuming a week day) East Mids, Cottesmore, Cambridge, Essex and Southend.

You could go west of Stanstead, either transiting through the Luton overhead (which you'll almost certainly be approved for, as long as you're confident with your RT and can keep heading and height accurately - can you ?;) ), or underneath the Luton CTA (eg BKY - BPK). However, these are all increased workload routings, and whilst that's good for your experience, the very fact you're asking this question indicates you might want to try the simpler options first ?

As to your question about flight plans, you don't need one if you're going VFR outside of controlled airspace.
However, I really think it would be a good idea - rather than to take advice from here - for you to spend some time talking to your CFI about this before you try this trip.

Be safe and enjoy !

FF :ok:

ghandou
9th Aug 2006, 23:08
Cheers FF. You're 100% right I would def prefer to try the simple route first. Your route pretty much matched the one that I've come up with but it's always nice to get a second opinion. Really appreciate it, cheers buddy.

Jinkster
9th Aug 2006, 23:23
fully flapped is correct, if you can navigate around the east mids zone then luton shouldnt be too much of a problem - they will more than likely tell you to fly over the runway numbers etc.....

Stansted - very busy usually so be prepared to route around - usally down to stapleford then across or stay north and route around.

people to contact -east mids - cottesmore, luton, essex and southend.

have a good trip and bring us a stick of rock!!

S-Works
10th Aug 2006, 08:45
Can you get rock in sarfend? I thought it was all jellied eels and pie and mash served by southerners with dubious accents?

Twiddle
10th Aug 2006, 11:31
Doesn't seem to be much of an issue getting over Stansted so long as you are confident on the radio and actually do fly at the height, direction and speed you say.

Be ready to take an orbit for seperation with their commercial traffic, be ready to expedite if you have speed in hand.

I flew Southend to Manchester (Ashcroft), straight over Stansted on the way out and the way back last weekend with no issues at all, likewise the week earlier flew to Wales and back from Andrewsfield, didn't bother to even ask for a crossing on the way out as you could hear that they were completely buried, but on the way back it seemed a bit quieter, we asked and crossed with no issues.

Bottom line, if it's been 5 minutes and so busy you can't even get a call in, don't bother, but other than that, ask away, you might be surprised.

aluminium persuader
10th Aug 2006, 12:10
If you're not going through the Stansted zone talk to Wattisham rather than Essex. Much more likely to be able to get a word in edgeways. 125.8

Barnaby the Bear
10th Aug 2006, 23:12
Wattisham probably on summer break. :cool:

Twiddle
11th Aug 2006, 00:05
I think the military understand that the UK, by agreement, will only be invaded Monday to Friday 9am-5:30pm excluding bank holidays, anything else just isn't cricket....

Good luck raising most MATZ controllers at the weekend!

aluminium persuader
11th Aug 2006, 10:56
And invaders are responsible for bringing choccy biscuits!

Wattisham this wk are open 1000-1800L, next wk 1730-0130L but may be closed Friday, wk after 1000-1800L

May be closed early if the army stop flying.

Don't ask me how I know; could tell you but then I'd have to shoot you! ;)