PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a clean engine.

Capn Notarious
9th Aug 2006, 16:28
This is the place to ask about turbine blade and engine washing.
I believe that the turbine is spun but has no fuel injected/ignited.

What is the cleaning agent.
Is a special port used for the infusion/spray.
Does this port get a wire through the fitting to prevent it loosening.
Would domestic owners be allowed to do their own, or is it the sole preserve of the engineers.
Please outline the negative aspects of this procedure.
By what % could the quality of an engine be maintained and is the procedure related to the hours flown & conditions of the environment.

Gomer Pylot
9th Aug 2006, 17:34
With some engines, the water is injected as the starter is run. With others it's injected while the engine is running somewhere above idle. See the engine manufacturer's recommendations for this.

What is the cleaning agent.
Water. Preferably processed by reverse osmosis, or distilled.
Is a special port used for the infusion/spray.
Yes
Does this port get a wire through the fitting to prevent it loosening.
It's a tube, with a connector to the wash bottle on one end, and the other end is pointed into the air intake, in most cases. No wires, it's held in place by clamps.
Would domestic owners be allowed to do their own, or is it the sole preserve of the engineers.
I suspect that depends on the country and its authorities.
Please outline the negative aspects of this procedure.
I don't know of any.
By what % could the quality of an engine be maintained and is the procedure related to the hours flown & conditions of the environment.
To the environment, certainly. In the Gulf of Mexico, we do it daily, regardless of hours flown. The salt in the air will quickly degrade the engine if it isn't washed out regularly. Our engines, washed daily, regularly make TBO. Without the daily wash, they won't come close. I don't have exact figures, but I suspect we get an extra 20% or more, but that would be less in places that don't have the salt in the air. Air pollution, though, can be just as bad if not worse. See the manufacturer's recommendations, as I said above.

chinook<NL>
9th Aug 2006, 20:50
there is a big difference in wash and rinse.
wash the engine goes with soap and can improve engine perfomance(power assurence), to rinse a engine(water) keeps your engine in a good condition(salt).
to wash/rinse an engine you have to crank it. after that dry run it