PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use skype?

raytofclimb
8th Aug 2006, 18:42
Off to sunny sunny south atlantic in the not too distant future and wondered if anyone has used skype or similar to dial into the Death Star. Is it really as simple as it sounds? i.e broadband+headset+credit on skype account etc.

I usually get the wife to dial a prefix which gets a cheaper rate than BT but it still costs a fortune after 5 weeks. The other alternative being to switch my provider, but thats a chafe.

Ta

Ray

windriver
8th Aug 2006, 18:57
I can`t think why anyone isn`t using Skype!

PC to PC is so convenient and the video is excellent - Recommend a decent headset/mike for best results.

Fox2long
8th Aug 2006, 18:57
Mate have been there recently Mrs Fox could use skype to call in. No facility to call back to blighty on it though!!!! 005 007 + ext No. PM me and I'll give you a list of numbers you require!!!!

The Rocket
8th Aug 2006, 18:59
Raytofclimb,

Don't think it's possible there fella. For a start, as you say, you need broadband which the Death Star definitely doesn't have, just exceedingly slow 56k dial up.

Secondly, last time I was there, the Comms flt Stazi wouldn't even allow us to install a webcam for use with MSN, or use any kind of plug in headset device, for some ridiculously petty reason.

Try and find out if there are any 'ways around the problem' regarding UK switchboards and prepayment accounts. There usually seems to be in my experience.

Oh, and one more thing....

Unlucky:E

:p :p :p :p

rudekid
8th Aug 2006, 19:00
It would be fantastic to be able to use Skype as it really is that simple, but last time I was in the death-star (Sep 05) there wasn't enough bandwith to make it work.
A mate's been down there for a year and he only had dial-up.
Hope I'm wrong and that they improved the service....You could always use it to dial into the phone network and not to a PC. It wouldn't be free, but probably cheaper than other deals.

Otherwise you could always drink and dial...:}

Fox2long
8th Aug 2006, 19:10
Ray,
Just talked to Mrs Fox, which is a first when we're face to face, she reckons it cost her approx 3 quid for 20 mins to call in!! Use the AT&T card to call Mrs Ray and get her to call back on skype it's still way cheaper!!!

Zoom
8th Aug 2006, 20:05
Try www.jajah.com and then you will wonder why you ever bothered with Skype for phone calls. Mind you, I don't know how it works with the Death Star, whoever she might be.

raytofclimb
8th Aug 2006, 20:40
Thanks for your input- I'm familiar with the setup down there, this will be my third stay at HMPMPA.

Some of you think that it's not possible due to the lack of bandwidth down there; I was under the impression that Mrs Tofclimb could use the computer in Blighty and call me at work or in that Pole Dancing club I've heard they have orgies and stuff in. Why would that require any more badwidth than if she dialled direct from our BT line?

It's effectively a PC to land-line call and I know generally how it works but wondered whether it's compatible with the AT&T monopoly before I subscribe and fork out for a headset.

Ta

Ray

philghughes
8th Aug 2006, 20:52
Im using a tesco internet phone from germany back to the uk. 2p per minute to landlines and free to anther tesco phone. The phone is £15 and works well

TheInquisitor
8th Aug 2006, 20:55
I can`t think why anyone isn`t using Skype!
I can't think of ONE reason why anyone IS using this expensive con!

If you want to call someone with a phone, use your phone - it costs bugger-all in most cases, and only becomes expensive if you're calling the other side of the world.

If have a computer and want to talk to someone with a computer, use MSN - it's FREE, regardless of where either of you are. You have the choice of instantaneous text, video and voice.

I think the only reason ANYONE uses it is so they can go around telling their mates "I use Skype!", because it is somehow seen as fashionable. It is, however, entirely unnecessary.

...as is this Tesco "Internet Phone" nonesense. You still have to be in front of your computer, with your computer on, to use the thing. In which case, just use MSN and save yourself £15!

farsouth
8th Aug 2006, 21:20
If you want to call someone with a phone, use your phone - it costs bugger-all in most cases, and only becomes expensive if you're calling the other side of the world.
If have a computer and want to talk to someone with a computer, use MSN - it's FREE, regardless of where either of you are. You have the choice of instantaneous text, video and voice.
I think the only reason ANYONE uses it is so they can go around telling their mates "I use Skype!", because it is somehow seen as fashionable. It is, however, entirely unnecessary.
...as is this Tesco "Internet Phone" nonesense. You still have to be in front of your computer, with your computer on, to use the thing. In which case, just use MSN and save yourself £15!

1. "The Deathstar" referred to IS the other side of the world - RAF Mt Pleasant, in the Falklands - calls on a BT line cost about £1 per minute - cheapest I have found is One-Tel at 26p a minute
2. 56k dial up in the Falklands costs 10p a minute to civilians, therefore MSN messenger is not "free" (Broadband is only being trialled and is not fully available yet - there is only one comms supplier - Cable + Wireless - with no competition)
3. "Internet Phone" is not necessarily nonsense - my internet supplier gives a wireless modem that allows a standard cordless phone to be plugged in - therefore you do NOT need to be sat in front of the computer and it serves as a free second phone line
4. As far as I understood, Skype to Skype calls are totally free, so not sure why that is an "expensive con"

TheInquisitor
8th Aug 2006, 21:29
"The Deathstar" referred to IS the other side of the world - RAF Mt Pleasant, in the Falklands

I'm well aware of the aforementioned place, having done several detachments there.

And the beauty of the place IS the lack of affordable comms - meaning you have the perfect excuse not to have to listen to the Nagger and her pointless gossip from home for half an hour every night, eating into valuable drinking time!

4. As far as I understood, Skype to Skype calls are totally free, so not sure why that is an "expensive con"
So is ANY kind of PC-to-PC communication.

SASless
8th Aug 2006, 21:52
I have been using Skype for about a year now.....computer to computer is FREE.

In one day....talked from the USA to Nigeria, Germany, the UK, and within the States....chatted about two hours all told....Free!

bayete
8th Aug 2006, 22:28
Hi,
Been there going back soon and no doubt will back back again!! If you have access to your own net take a mic with you and accept the slow connection speed v cost of phone card. (make sure that you have a comp with speakers or plug in headphones, MSN messenger works as well as Skype for this.)
Another option is..and you aint seen me roiight, phone your work on GPTN and get them to *(R)ecall 0 and dial your home number, therefore it costs the local call to your other half. Of course you can have a concience (sp?), ask the sqn or Ops to transfer you to your local cheap phone provider (onetel, 1st telecom etc).
I'll be there end of Sept if you have any Qs or spare Stella.

rudekid
8th Aug 2006, 22:45

Well I'm glad you've got a firm understanding of the questions being raised... Did you perchance fly hunters?:rolleyes:

GreenWings
8th Aug 2006, 23:37
Hi rayt,

am down in the sunny SAI at the moment in Area 51, where we get 40 minutes welfare internet access per day on a reasonable link. The place is quite empty as I sit here typing, surfing PPrune, gmail and amazon at once.

The facility here doesnt have Skype, though I wish it would, as it has MSN messenger and Yahoo chat-whatever-its-called, I have a dialup facility in my room but havent used Skype on it - I wouldnt for VOIP, the connection speed varies between 42 and 52kbps and is not that great. A Ten-quid phone card lasts about 90 minutes when used for internet.

As mentioned before, the 005 007 +ext could be used with SkypeOut for a fraction of the cost of calling direct, but back the other way, I cant say as I havent used it. I use it in Blighty all the time to video call skype-skype and SkypeOut to Australia for very few pence.

PM me if you want more details.

cheers

-GW-

Talking Radalt
9th Aug 2006, 01:52
Bluey = free.
Bic pen = free.
Cost of postage = free.
Option to read "....and I finally took your advice and bought myself a nurse's uniform*" again, and again, and again = priceless.
For everything else, there's Cable and Wireless.
*Needless to say this only works with blueys incoming to MPA. 28 sqn haven't reached the Falklands yet.

Blacksheep
9th Aug 2006, 02:49
Advice from a telecomms man.

I'm currently heading MIS/IT out here in Borneo and we monitored bandwidth use for a skype call at up to 63 Kbps. That's a lot of bandwidth: costing out the increased monthly rental in moving our IP/VPN links from 2 Mbps to 10 Mbps (to integrate Skype's - or any other VOIP - calls into the total network load) would more than cancel out any cost savings on the calls. 63 Kbps is bad enough on a 128Kbps ISDN leased line but is totally impractical on a 56K dial-up connection. My wife calls me from UK using a call card she buys from the local corner shop (which is why she calls them Bangla cards!) and gets 2 hours IDD call time for five quid - and the only place more expensive than Brunei to call from UK is Australia.

Get your wife to buy a few Bangla cards and call you on the proper telling-bone. :ok:

Spurlash2
9th Aug 2006, 08:48
GreenWings
Can you confirm rooms/cabins/grots/chariot space/caboosh/sleeping pod/gulch's (pick fave name for your pit :zzz: ) at your location can plug into t'internet? It almost sounds up to date down there!

OverTq
9th Aug 2006, 09:18
Blacksheep - I'm with Talk Talk which cost 10 quid a month. Calls to Oz are free for the first 70mins per call! Sadly, Brunei doesn't figure in their list.

GreenWings
12th Aug 2006, 23:37
GreenWings
Can you confirm rooms/cabins/grots/chariot space/caboosh/sleeping pod/gulch's (pick fave name for your pit :zzz: ) at your location can plug into t'internet? It almost sounds up to date down there!

Spurlash2,

some rooms have phones in them , it depends on what job you are going to do down there and whether you will be on call. There are phones in the corridors so people use long line extensions to plug into them. Its worth asking the guy you are taking over from before you leave, as not all rooms will have phones/lines in them.

-GW-