PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan XH558, It Looks Like It Is Over.

Peter Barron
8th Aug 2006, 13:29
Well, it looks like it is all over for getting Vulcan XH558 back in the air.
I have just had a look at the web site and the news is not good, if one million pounds is not raised by the end of August then that's it.
It is a sad day for aviation preservation that the Vulcan will not fly again, it was the greatest airshow performer, it defended our country during the cold war, it flew the longest bombing mission ever when it bombed the Falklands and it is a big part of British Aviation Heritage but sadly it looks as if it will never fly again.
A lot of people have had a pop at the people who have tried to get the Vulcan back in the air saying they didn't handle it right, they did this wrong, they did that wrong, well, nobody is perfect and it seems that mistakes might have happened but in the end AT LEAST THESE PEOPLE TRIED and fair play to them for that, they tried to give us a chance to see one of the greatest British Aircraft back in the sky where it belongs, it is just so sad that all their effort seems to have come to nothing.
Peter.

ATNotts
9th Aug 2006, 17:28
Very sad that they cannot find a sponsor - but they would probably do better if they could offer a Vodafone, Coca Cola or other global brand a big logo on the tail in place of the RAF scheme!!

Trouble is today corporate Britain is inwilling to sponsor anything for its own sake - they want a tangible return and a Vulcan billboard (heaven forbid) would probably fit the bill!

chevvron
9th Aug 2006, 17:56
Lottery money? Doubt it as there's no ethnic minoritys or homsexuals who'll benefit from it.

MReyn24050
9th Aug 2006, 18:09
Very sad that they cannot find a sponsor - but they would probably do better if they could offer a Vodafone, Coca Cola or other global brand a big logo on the tail in place of the RAF scheme!!
Trouble is today corporate Britain is inwilling to sponsor anything for its own sake - they want a tangible return and a Vulcan billboard (heaven forbid) would probably fit the bill!

I agree ATNotts, but not just the tail why not on the whole of the aircraft. As an enthusiast of the Aviation History & Nostalgia Forum I know this must sound like sacrilege, but surely it must be possible to get a major branded company to sponsor the completion of the restoration of XH558 allowing them advertise their product in a similar fashion to Red Bull's Sea Vixen G-CVIX. Once the aircraft has a C of A should sponsorship diminish then it shouldn't be so expensive to keep it flying. At least we would once again see this magnificent aircraft in the air once again.
Mel

fly_high
9th Aug 2006, 18:50
Maybe somebody can clarify this... if certain RAF aircraft are preserved in flying order, such as the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, why isn't the Vulcan included in some sort of Cold War Memorial Flight? That way they could have RAF backing (and presumably some RAF funding).

PAXboy
9th Aug 2006, 18:57
Firstly, the RAF has been cutting it's display budget for years and I cannot see any chance of the memorial flight being expanded.

My guess is that the machine would only be able to display for a limited number of hours each year and only at/over specified sites due noise and safety. A corporate will want their billboard to be available all year round and at many venues. For example, if a corporate sponsored the repair of 50 vintage cars (trying to find equivalent sum of money) then they can parade those cars at any racing ground in the country or any city square that they choose. XH558 cannot be made to do that.

Yes of course the machine has unique attractions but I cannot imagine a corporate even agreeing to see the folks for half an hour. There are so many offers for places to stick their names that they can pick and choose and would not choose one that has narrow appeal and narrow visibility. Lastly, in what ways does a Cold War bomber link with 21st century corporate values? (OK, enough jokes about Halliburton already)

It's just that there is nothing that a modern company want from a machine that is old and noisy (they will say) and can no longer do some of it's most startling things. It's speed and performance are limited and were only ever done at high level. If they cannot find a pure enthusiast multi-millionaire, then it is over. Since any pure enthusiast multi-millionaire would have already been part of the gang for years ... it is over.

Peter Barron
9th Aug 2006, 19:50
chevvron

You are so right about the lottery money.

It needs someone Big, Corporate, Aviation, there is only one person :D

Its a shame Dicky Branston didn't get on board, it could have had a nice neat little Virgin logo on the nose and if he was putting the money in I am sure every aviation enthusiast would fly Virgin instead of his rival BA if they had to go somewhere.

So if you happen to be reading this Dicky, we need you :ok:

chevvron
9th Aug 2006, 20:42
Maybe someone could have a word with Roman Abramovich; it could do a flypast at every Chelsea game>

Tiger_mate
9th Aug 2006, 21:19
A Virgin or Red Bull Vulcan?

I would rather see it grounded forever. There are some ways of getting the old girl airborne that I find unacceptable, and whilst I like the Sea Vixen, the colour scheme is a disgrace.

Evileyes
9th Aug 2006, 21:40
More (much more) background and discussion:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222368

matt_hooks
9th Aug 2006, 21:43
Not really relevant to the thread, but does anyone know if the Vulcan at Southend still does fast taxis?

I think it is so sad that such giants of our aviation history should be left to rot away. The Vulcan is such a magical machine and I'm sure that it has enough devotees that anyone willing to stump up some of the cash to alow her to fly again would see huge returns on that investment!

The other aircraft I would love to see flying over UK skies is the GE Lightning!

treadigraph
9th Aug 2006, 22:17
GE Lightning? ENGLISH Electric, not General Electric dear boy! ;)

Would be good though, wouldn't it... Vulcan and Lightning, but I fear 'tis but a dream...:{

Peter Barron
10th Aug 2006, 14:31
Dear All.

Please sign the form at the bottom of

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/hangar/2006/xh558/xh558.htm

Your name will be sent to the Lottery Fund asking them to put more money in to the Vulcan

You never know, it might just help.

Peter.

REF
10th Aug 2006, 19:10
Southend Vulcan is performing its fast taxi run on Saturday, 6th August 2006.

I've added my name Peter, thanks for the link

andrewmcharlton
10th Aug 2006, 19:11
See the other Vulcan forum for some important figures and information received today from Felicity Irwin. Thanks.

Peter Barron
10th Aug 2006, 19:37
REF

Glad you have added your name :D , lets hope many more people do.

The Vulcan is just so near to being ready for its roll out and taking to the air again that it will be a crying shame if it doesn't :{

We need to see this again.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/GEMINAIR1/xh558.jpg

atb1943
11th Aug 2006, 12:47
Tredders writes: Would be good though, wouldn't it... Vulcan and Lightning, but I fear 'tis but a dream...

Guess you'll have to transfer 558 to the RSA, where I understand MB-H is hoping to get four, yes four EE Lightnings flying at the Ysterplat show in September...dream on, don't cost nuthin!

cheers
atb

matt_hooks
11th Aug 2006, 19:10
Sorry, of course I meant EE, think I was half asleep when I wrote that!

I have also added my name, can you imagine the crowd pull for any airshow that could boast a Lightning AND a Vulcan?

tezzer
23rd Aug 2006, 07:43
It was geatured on the BBC news programme this morning, highlighting the need for £250,000 by the end of the month. Very sad, I hope that they get it.

beamer
23rd Aug 2006, 10:22
Good - I repeat my earlier observation, drain the oils, hangar the thing and give it a fresh coat of paint.

Nov71
23rd Aug 2006, 20:40
When you think a £2m grant has just been awarded to restore Mrs Gaskell's (18thC novelist) crumbling house in Manchester, there seems to be no official body to keep our aviation heritage flying.

Last saw Vulcan & Lightning fly on same day at Woodford Air Show (sadly also defunct). A none-aviation friend just stood with his mouth open.

Just been talking with american 8 year-old, the Vulcan is his favourite aircraft and he knows the shape was the inspiration for Concorde wings.

The aviation industry (civil & mil) could sponsor flying exhibits whilst providing a working resource for future aviation engineers & designers

Cricket23
23rd Aug 2006, 21:18
I have added may name to the Lottery Links and have also made a donation on www.savethevulcan.co.uk

.......every little helps:ok:

C23

REF
28th Aug 2006, 10:25
anyone know what the latest is? Only a few days to go before final decision is made isn't it?

SeptemberFury
28th Aug 2006, 21:02
I too have added my name to the Lottery list, but alas, I feel we are too late.

As a member of the Midland Air Museum in Coventry, we regularly hear of things regarding the Vulcan and it's not looking very good at all!

Even though the HLF have granted money too the VTTS, they have still not received it all. The HLF will only release money into it when the trust fund have raised a certain amount. Each time the VTTS reach £250,000, the HLF release £250,000. They have not received all the money yet! If they reach the target figure required for the HLF to release the rest of the money she will continue to be prepaired for the deadline. This is why it is so frustrating for them, the money is there but they just can't reach it!:*

Inverted81
31st Aug 2006, 08:31
DID I HEAR CORRECTLY THIS MORNING?

Just caught the end of BBC breakfast news and according to them a "mystery benefactor" has come forward and provided the remaining funds.....

Can anyone confirm this?
:eek:

Inverted81
31st Aug 2006, 08:39
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/5300748.stm

FANTASTIC!!!!:}

foxile
31st Aug 2006, 15:05
Great news,

Having spent my early teenage years living under the approach to Waddington, in the late seventies, I am very happy to hear this. I was at Brunty to see 558 make her last landing and can't believe it was so long ago. I now look forward to seeing her next take off and re-living those childhood memories.

Still a lot to be be done I know but well done to everyone involved. :ok:

Foxile

derekl
1st Sep 2006, 10:39
The mystery benefactor is Sir Jack Hayward, the 83 year-old owner of Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Lovely man!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/01/nvulcan01.xml

EGBKFLYER
1st Sep 2006, 11:53
IF I had his kind of money, it's the sort of mad thing I'd want to fund too - well done him!:ok:

ormus55
1st Sep 2006, 12:06
what a great guy. fantastic news.
my pathetic 10 quid is being sent off today.

gaunty
1st Sep 2006, 12:20
Well done that man, what a wonderful, wonderful gesture.

The "widows mite" he says;
'In truth I tell you, this poor widow has put more in than all who have contributed to the treasury for they have put in money then could spare but she, in her poverty, has put in everything she possessed, all she had to live on.'"
probably not exactly, but it is still a truly munificent donation.:D

I will forever remain, in Western Australia, an ardent fan of the Wolverhampton Wanderers. :ok: