PDA

View Full Version : Officer Training

browning
7th Aug 2006, 11:49
Can anyone point me in the right direction for more information on officer training apart from the RAF website?

foldingwings
7th Aug 2006, 11:54
Why? Are you about to enter the IOTC? What specifically do you require?

Rev I. Tin
7th Aug 2006, 12:00
Ooh, you're gonna get some stick off the old uns for not using the initiative to find it yourself etc...

Beagle will probably fall off his chair!

Right direction for info (http://www.oascprep.co.uk/oasc_introduction.html) on RAF officer training.

Wrong direcion for info (http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/) on RAF officer training.

Good luck!

browning
7th Aug 2006, 12:02
I want to become an officer in the regiment but want to go to the AFCO clued up with respect to what to expect and how it all works. I am also looking for information on what I need to know so that at the AFCO they don't delay my application in any way. Basically I was looking at going to Sandhurst but the RAF is more appealing. I would be grateful for any advice

rusty_y2k2
7th Aug 2006, 12:52
The site that Rev linked to above is a good starting point - I too am applying to the RAF and have read through that site before. It'll only take you 30 minutes or so to read through everything on the site and it'll give you a great idea of what you'll need to do when you get to OASC.

Try and talk to some pilots too, get in contact with your nearest base and see if you can arrange a visit etc. Not only will they be able to give you advice about getting in, but they'll be able to tell you what it's like once you are actually in!

From what I can ascertain, motivation is a big part of getting accepted - if you can prove you've put in the legwork then they'll be much more impressed. Don't aim to do enough to "pass", aim to excel. Training is tough (even tougher if you want to fly FJ) and they need to know you won't fold under the pressure, and can push yourself to succeed.

This info comes from someone as inexperienced and new to it all as yourself however, so don't take what i say as gospel! This is just from what I have picked up from talking to ex/current RAF and my own researching. Unfortunately I am only really going to get one stab at this (I am so old my bones are creaking - 22, coming on 23!) so I am doing everything I can to give myself the best chance - I would suggest you treat it as though you only have the one opportunity too, it's a great motivation factor!

Stuff
7th Aug 2006, 14:11
Try and talk to some pilots too

But he wants to become a Regiment Officer... better off talking to some Regiment type people about JROC and suchlike!

rusty_y2k2
7th Aug 2006, 15:17
Ah well in that case yes, adapt it to suit. Many of the points are still pertinent though i think!

cockneyrock
7th Aug 2006, 15:38
I want to become an officer in the regiment but want to go to the AFCO clued up with respect to what to expect and how it all works. I am also looking for information on what I need to know so that at the AFCO they don't delay my application in any way. Basically I was looking at going to Sandhurst but the RAF is more appealing. I would be grateful for any advice
You will need to do a Potential Regiment Officers Acquaintance Course (PROAC) at RAF Honington. The AFCO should try to get you loaded onto one of these, if they don't, ask to be sent on one. The aim of the course is similar to the Royal Marine Potential Officers Course although PROAC doesn't currently have the same "selection" role as POC (this might change in the next year or so). The PROAC will give you all the information you need about life in the RAF Regt and will point you in the right direction in ensuring you do the correct background reading prior to OASC.
The best thing to do is try to get a visit to an RAF Regt Sqn. The AFCO should be able to help arrange this. In essence, by time you get to OASC, you want to be able to go into the interview and talk about where the RAF Regt are based, where they train, what their role is in very broad terms, how they are structured in very broad terms (Sqns, Wgs etc). Also, if you can have a rough understanding of how you career is likely to develop (Eg, Basic Trg, Flt Cdr, GDT, Sqn Ops Offr, Instructor, Joint Posting, Staff tour, Promotion) it would demonstrate that you haven't just wandered in off of the street and thought "I fancy being a soldier in a blue uniform".
Your best port of call is the AFCO, they are there to help and will send you to OASC when they think you are ready. I don't know how old you are, however, if you are under 23 don't worry about rushing, the next JROC starts in Jan and you won't get through the system by then. If everything goes smoothly for you, the JROC after that starts towards the end of 2007 so you still have a bit of time to play with.
Talk to a pilot if you want, I've never got any sense out on one in the 10 years I have been in the RAF. You'll only end up looking on trying to stifle your giggles as they do a good impression of Goose in Top Gun "We turn this way, he turn that way, Maverick said where'd he go, I said where'd who go....." (Insert appropriate waving of hands to simulate air to air combat etc):ok:

Pontius Navigator
7th Aug 2006, 17:52
You are not too far from the depot at RAF Honington, you could even try calling direct in advance of any formal acquaint courses. If goes without saying that you are fit?

You mentioned Sandhurst. That will be a certain question at OASC and one for which you will have a cracking answer.

joe2812
7th Aug 2006, 19:26
Heres a post which you may or may not find useful. More aircrew orientated than Regt funnily enough but might be some crossover.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166273&highlight=OASC

Edit: Some of the IOT course info may be out of date as I think the course has changed to 30 weeks, new structure, content etc. Specifics on what the course entails will be better coming from someone 'in the know'. Sorry.

Flik Roll
7th Aug 2006, 19:54
Very Useful Stuff HERE (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)

There is plenty of advice and knowledge kicking around here! :}

browning
7th Aug 2006, 20:20
Thats great thanks for the heads up. Explaining the Sandhurst thingy should be ok. My brother is already in the regiment so he has told me certain things but planning to go to the AFCO next week. Fitness isn't a problem.

Passed my RCB (sandhurst selection) last year but my Speed distance time calcs will need some work

bad livin'
8th Aug 2006, 09:33
Rev I. Tin, I think you'll find that the second of your links is very much the RIGHT one...:}

Rev I. Tin
8th Aug 2006, 10:45
You are probably biased,:ok:

Big Cheese1
8th Aug 2006, 18:07
Cockneyrock check your pm's :ok:

side salad
9th Aug 2006, 14:09
An important part of the selection with the apes is the banana eating test, try to get some practice in, if you bite your own fingers whilst under pressure, they will fail you........:) :)

(Before you start stalking me, I have the greatest of respect for the rocks!)

cockneyrock
9th Aug 2006, 14:53
An important part of the selection with the apes is the banana eating test, try to get some practice in, if you bite your own fingers whilst under pressure, they will fail you........:) :)
(Before you start stalking me, I have the greatest of respect for the rocks!)
Too late, we are already tracking you down to check when you are next due CCS/IRT/general abuse for your friendly Rockery (GDT Flt):p

side salad
9th Aug 2006, 17:12
Dear Rock,

I have a letter from my mummy excusing me from any PT or GDT until my ingrowing toenail gets better.

Yours,

Penguin:ok:

cockneyrock
9th Aug 2006, 20:34
Salad,

Noted.

I shall put your chit in the pile that includes, I have a cut on my hand, my knees click when I adopt the kneeling position, and, a personal favourite, I can't go in the chamber because my son has Asthma!:confused:

side salad
9th Aug 2006, 21:16
Clearly you are not aware that the good old RAF provides child care facilities in the chamber.

I think there should be a thread for "Best reason for why I can't _____"

Salad.