PDA

View Full Version : RN FATS tick in the box, next stop!?!

LHtoLT
7th Aug 2006, 11:15
Hello all! Im Nick Wilson and new to this site but here through recommend of an aviator down at RNAS Culdrose. Just finished my FATs last week with strong past on Pilot side of things and although i did not make the grade at observer it was on the borderline. It was there i was told i will still be considered for AIB but they were not giving much away, even though i have already done 8yrs in the RN, god bless it! Anyway my Question is, does anyone know what will happen as im on the cusp and being considered. Will it take longer to get to the board, or are they actually short of pilots like the buzzes say and i may get through? Really need some direction in this situation as stuck on this square and waiting for them to make a move. any comments would be welcome.

Cheers guys
Nick

SARowl
7th Aug 2006, 16:22
I failed the Observer apptitude tests and they still accepted me as a Pilot. They were obviously desperate for Pilots at the time!

airborne_artist
7th Aug 2006, 16:37
Best you bone up well for AIB, then :E

cobaltfrog
7th Aug 2006, 21:22
I have to say I think you will be lucky if they take you for pilot. At the moment the critical shortage is the Observer, indeed in my previous job I was taking people with stronger pilot scores for observer if pushed!!

That said, try and buck the system. If you are keen and know your stuff then that will pay dividends. Remember it all starts with Officer Like Qualities (OLQ's) and that is what AIB is looking for. Can you be a leader of Jolly Jack first before you are aircrew. In short, know your stuff on the FAA, the Sqns etc and roles. If you have 8yrs in already then you should be fine

Good Luck!!

vecvechookattack
8th Aug 2006, 13:22
Im not sure I understand. You have done 8 years n the RN but are just about to go to the AIB ???

LHtoLT
10th Aug 2006, 12:45
Im not sure I understand. You have done 8 years n the RN but are just about to go to the AIB ???

That because im a leading hand already serving (ratings) and now wanting to get my commision.

bad livin'
10th Aug 2006, 17:58
Good heavens, what will they say down the mess? I'm sure you've heard it all before. Best of luck to you, you'll see things very differently when you move up a deck or two - and probably be a far better officer for it. Regardless of the branch you move into, remember your roots...but don't cling to them!