PDA

View Full Version : Urban SAR

Arctic Tern
7th Aug 2006, 09:47
Chaps. Anyone got any thoughts on Urban SAR (New buzz word I heard at Bournemouth SAR Conference). Is this a job for MCA and MilSAR crews or is it a more specialized role (Police, Fire, Ambulance, etc)? Before you all jump down my throat - yes I know that RN and RAF crews did a great job at Boscastle, and there have been many others. That said, how about things like evacuating the London Eye, taking people from a burning tower block, fast water rescue, etc? I appreciate that most hoisting situations are an adaptation of techniques learned elsewhere, but what about long lines and multiple casualty rescue baskets, etc.
Not fishing for ideas here, just a bit bored and wanted your thoughts ;)
AT

SARowl
7th Aug 2006, 16:16
Technically, the MCA is only responsible up to the high water mark, inshore of that SAR is the responsibility of the Police.

Coastguard SAR helicopters are tasked to inland incidents at the request of the appropriate Police authority via Kinloss. It is up to the Duty Captain do decide to go/no go.

PANews
7th Aug 2006, 20:43
Still very much a 'MAY' but the new EC145/BK117C2s for London will have an option to carry a winch. The first such to be likely used.

Although the option is there there is no public domain timetable for the entry into service of this option.

Historically SAR never did really happen in London [and most other UK police locations] ... a decade ago the police needed to be on hand for a River Thames accident in the early hours [the sinking of Marchioness]. They were not even operating their Bell 222s at that time of day then and such a scenario was not exactly expected. They had to call in the MCA and the military but their arrival was long after all hope had been lost. I can imagine the panic in the control room at Scotland Yard as someone tried to find the right telephone number for the military and MCA options for the first time!

The first Bell 222 for London had a winch on delivery in 1980 but it soon went into the store and never came out.

The only SAR rescue I can recall was when they hovered their 222 alongside the roof of a burning power station and opened the [conventional] door ... they then invited the hapless victim to step across space and into the craft.

The only other UK police SAR's have been a range of helicopters of various forces dunking the skids to drag water borne victims from rivers and the sea - each event causing the CAA to have kittens.

8th Aug 2006, 06:11
When 7/7 happened, the RAF SAR Force had all 12 aircraft serviceable and ready to go, the quickest on scene would have been Wattisham in under 30 mins, but they were not needed. Unless the police have a suitable aircraft (and I suspect the police helo would be used more in command and control in a big event), the Military and MCA SAR helos are the only assets available for such scenarios.