PDA

View Full Version : QXC Advice sought

modelman
6th Aug 2006, 20:53
Have my QXC coming up soon.:eek:
Route is: Coventry-Gloucs-Peterborough/Conington ( via o/h Cranfield) return to Cov.

Reckon to route to Glos via o/h Gaydon to avoid Snitterfield gliding,Glos to o/h Upper Heyford to avoid Weston-on-the-Green paras/gliding and Croughton microwave site,then o/h Cranfield to Graffham Water to avoid more gliding then to Peterboro.Looks a straight run back to Cov with no particular probs.

Does the above seem sensible?

Any handy hints welcome

Modelman

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Aug 2006, 22:03
Does the above seem sensible?

The good thing in flying is that you can often go in a direct line.

Why all the squigling?

Snitterfield is closely tucked in near the B'ham airspace but you can just about climb high enough to clear their zone (and may get a clearance in their airspace as it is just on the edge)

If you fly the route during the week there may well not be any gliding activity anyway.

Why go all around the houses (Upper Heyford, Cranfield, Grafham) when there is a perfectly good and straight alternative?

Cranfield may well have people in the hold for instrument training and can be very busy.

Thought the idea was to navigate by compass and stopwatch rather than hopping from one visual cue to the next.

Deano777
6th Aug 2006, 22:56
Modelman

Whilst FD is absolutely right I think you need to put a couple of things in perspective, you must absolutely do what you feel most comfortable with, your QCC is an exciting time but on the other hand don't do something that is outside your own personal limits, talk to your instructor to see what he thinks. On the other hand if you do as FD says then you can route direct to Gloucester overhead Lemmington Spa, then split Wellesbourne & Snitterfield in half, when you cross the other side of Lemmington you can climb to 3,400ft and still be under the B'Ham CTA, but make sure you are clear of the B'Ham CTA that is 1500ft - FL45 before climbing. Then make sure you are above 2,200ft for the Restricted area R204, I have not got my map to hand but this could be a restriction for heli's only? check your chart legend.
Then when navigating to Connington you could go virtually in a straight line using Banbury & Northampton as visual reference points, I don't see any need to go overhead Cranfield, this just seems a tad out the way.

Just remember to stay relaxed, plan ahead, think ahead, and if you get into any bother just tell ATC and they will help you out, and above all, ENJOY IT!! :D it will be the best flight you have ever done, beating your 1st solo by miles, let me know when you are due at Gloucester, I'll shout you a drink (ahem, non alcoholic of course) in The Aviator

Dean

Pitts2112
7th Aug 2006, 06:30
One trick I learned in flying cross country was to choose waypoints that are off to the side, not directly under, the flightpath. That way you can see them as you approach. If it's under you, you lose sight of it under the nose from a few miles out. If it's a town or village or whatever off to the side, you can tell when you're abeam it. Helped me out loads.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Pitts2112

modelman
7th Aug 2006, 06:54
My CFI insists that the QXC route is o/head Cranfield so that's the reason for that.
I will be flying at the weekend so Snitterfield will be active.I could climb above their designated tow height but reckoned thare will be a number of gliders in the area so thought it best to avoid.

I am still happy to take any further advice from all you old hands.

Thanks for the info so far.

Modelman