PDA

View Full Version : FAA Class 1 to JAA Class 1 conversion?

IO540
6th Aug 2006, 17:01
Aviation rumour has it that such a conversion is possible under the provisions of ICAO - and it is alleged that the UK CAA really hate it (unsuprisingly) and it is a long and difficult process as a result.

Both the above medicals meet ICAO requirements for commercial air transport.

Alternatively, an FAA Class 1 may count as the initial Class 1, and then one can do a renewal in JAA land.

Does anybody know anything about this?

englishal
6th Aug 2006, 18:39
Alternatively, an FAA Class 1 may count as the initial Class 1, and then one can do a renewal in JAA land
Now that would be VERY interesting....seeing as the AME I go to in the UK is authorized to do FAA Class 1 exams, and JAA Class 1 renewals (as well as the JAA class 2s of course) ;)

A friend of mine did the JAA Class 1 while holding an FAA ATP / Class 1 and I *believe* some of the tests were omitted, though he still did it at Gatwick.

IO540
6th Aug 2006, 21:38
For a normally healthy person, AFAIK, the main "killer" difference between an FAA Class 1 and a JAA Class 1 is that the former has the audiogram, where both your ears have to be within specified limits at each of four frequencies (the two ears are tested separately).

A lot of people fail this test on one ear; probably most old airline pilots would fail it on both ears but they are OK because the renewal limits are a lot easier.

The JAA audiogram appears pointless because somebody who can't hear well enough to operate a plane would instantly fail the FAA hearing test. Also we don't see U.S. 747s plummetting everywhere.

I have "bumped" into several people who reported working on a conversion process but never heard any more.

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Aug 2006, 21:41
Yup, possible.

Search the medical and health forum where this question has been asked and answered before.

;)

IO540
6th Aug 2006, 21:43
Good to see you, FD ;)

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Aug 2006, 21:46
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113310&highlight=faa+class+1+conversion

Likewise.

The idea is (as I understand it) is that they will consider people with an FAA CPL/ATPL and class 1 under the renewal criteria rather than the initial.

Might make a difference for some.

englishal
6th Aug 2006, 22:30
so if I get an faa class 1, I can then get a jaa class 1 by renewal? wow.....

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Aug 2006, 22:48
Well, that is if you meet the JAR class 1 renewal criteria.

Here you go, the flow diagram from the horse's mouth:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_UK_JAR_CPL_Feb-05.pdf

SD.
7th Aug 2006, 00:46
I've just been to LGW for my initial JAA Class 1 and told the receptionist that I have an ICAO CPL (it's FAA). The CAA relieve you of £250 approx to do this, instead of approx £360.

However, there is a small loophole in that I never had to show my FAA Class 1, just my FAA airmans certificate. Infact I don't own an FAA Class 1 because to CFI you only need a Class 2. :rolleyes:

IO540
7th Aug 2006, 06:57
so if I get an faa class 1, I can then get a jaa class 1 by renewal? wow.....

Only if you get yourself an FAA CPL first.

I happen to know, from more than one occassion, that the CAA are exceedingly economical with the information that this is possible, never disclosing it themselves.

This looks like a damn good reason for getting an FAA CPL as an insurance policy against the future. There are very few things for which an FAA CPL is useful in the UK (due to ANO Art 140; the ban on aerial work).

This method opens the way to a JAA CPL/IR or a PPL/IR, for people who fail the JAA Class 1 initial but pass the JAA Class 1 renewal; true for many people with one out of spec ear for example.

englishal
7th Aug 2006, 08:33
Only if you get yourself an FAA CPL first
Already have one ;)

What is the difference an "Extended UK JAR class 1 renewal" and an "Initial UK JAR Class 1 examination"?

Cheers

englishal
7th Aug 2006, 08:36
Ah, I think I've just found the answer:

This consists of a full initial JAR
Class 1 examination, less the
electroencephalogram (EEG) and the
chest X-ray. The examination will be
to JAR revalidation/renewal
standards.

SD.
7th Aug 2006, 11:43
The chest x-ray and EEG are not done nowadays on a JAA Class 1 initial.

IO540
7th Aug 2006, 12:51
I should hope not. A chest x-ray is a high dose x-ray; a bit unethical to do that unless somebody is actually ill.

englishal
7th Aug 2006, 13:43
I had an ECG at my class 2 initial....why the change of heart (:} )? I don't believe the FAA do any ECG's nowadays. They don't really show anything, a friends dad had an ECG due to chest pains on a saturday, it was totally normal. On sunday he died of a massive heart attack (mind you he was watching Formula 1 in the Schumacher dominating days, so no one was surprised)