PDA

View Full Version : Tips for redeeming BMI/Star Alliance Miles

trip2
6th Aug 2006, 09:10
I’m looking for tips on how to successfully redeem BMI/Star Alliance Miles.

Have saved up a shed load because I was attracted by the prospect of being able to do a miles and cash long-haul flight to the far east in business class.

This is proving hard to sort out in practise.

For non BMI routes, you have to ring a call centre so you can’t play around on the web to look for options.

The information that the call centre has seems to be inaccurate – I’ve twice tried to make a booking where I have agreed dates, time and routes with the operator, only to be told that “the system is showing availability but won’t accept bookings”.

I Suggestions/feedback/advice gratefully received!

Cheers

pzu
6th Aug 2006, 10:46
Try this link for advice

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/

PZU - Out of Africa

trip2
6th Aug 2006, 15:41
Cheers PZU, really useful link

tezzer
6th Aug 2006, 16:00
I have to say, I had no problem, other than dealing with the inevitable call center, somewhere in the sub continent. Other than the problems getting the call center to understand my Yorkshire twang, the availability was fine, and I have just returned from a trip to Thailand, using Thai's new first class cabin, all on points for me and Mrs Tezzer.

trip2
6th Aug 2006, 16:59
Good to hear that Tezzer - Thailand is where we want to get to as well.

IS the new Thai First worth the extra over Business?

On the forum the PZU suggested I found out that if you sign up to the All Nipon Airways millage club (its, free you do it on line), you can get to see what's available for reward flights across all Star Alliance partners. Which is neat.

tezzer
7th Aug 2006, 06:24
Ooh, good question. Is it worth the difference ? That depends. The service WAS exceptional, but it is 50% uplift on the miles. The food, is non stop, and so unfortunately is the drink, although neither are compulsory ! As I normally travel vusiness, it was nice to make the change, and experience the indulgence that is first class, but I did keep peeping behind the curtain into business to look at the new seats back there, thinking of the miles I could have saved. 320,000 for two 1st class tickets, was a lot to spend on one trip.