PDA

View Full Version : Morning chaps!

alex_holbrook
5th Aug 2006, 02:34
Good morning,
I am simply dropping a line to introduce myself as (yes you guessed it) yet another wannabe. I have just finished my A-levels, and, having applied to the RN and been offered Observer (as opposed to Pilot), due to my passes not quite being high enough in the FATs, I have now decided against the idea of WAFU, and am going for the RAF. I am now taking a year out, and hopefully heading to OASC in March/April, aiming for next September's intake. I acknowledge the intense competition for places, and am doing my absolute darndest to be a favourable candidate, i.e. C.I. in CCF, raising 3000 pounds (currently in Oz, and this keyboard has no pound sign) for Scope as sponsorship for the London Marathon, plenty of sports, and general other activities.
Anyway, having wandered slightly from the point, I will be dropping by within the next six months, to ask the experts for various snippets of advice.
Cheers chaps,
Alex :ok:
p.s. I do not intend to ask the question 'how does one aquaint oneselves with ones Red Arrows'. Or anything of the sort. :hmm:

jayteeto
5th Aug 2006, 02:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5243098.stm
In recent threads we have argued about how things are written, this sheds light on some comments. Good luck!!

TheInquisitor
5th Aug 2006, 04:30
At least your written English seems up to scratch, Alex! This alone will put you STREETS ahead of the current crop of 'wannabes' - All the best!

Comp Charlie
5th Aug 2006, 07:47
Agreed. With your useage of words such as 'Chaps' and 'Darndest' at such an early age means you will be a more than suitable candidate for a commission in Her Majesty's Royal Air Force.

Keep up the good work. If I had a suggestion it would be that you could drop words like 'Rotter', 'Crivens' and 'Tally Ho!' into your speech and then you would definitely have it made.

All the very best

CC

glum
5th Aug 2006, 08:13
What a breath of fresh air from one so young. Are there any more where they educated you?

microlight AV8R
5th Aug 2006, 08:21
Excellent ! I may sleep securely in my old age after all. Hope it goes well for you.

Pontius Navigator
5th Aug 2006, 08:29
Too many ' , and' when the comma is preceding a non-conjunctive phrase.

Other than that, not bad.

kokpit
5th Aug 2006, 08:43
Alt 1 5 6 = £ ;)

BEagle
5th Aug 2006, 09:03
Did you ever study German, Alex? They do love their commas!

Good luck with the year out - it sounds as though you've certainly got the right idea!

(Oh - and it's acquaint oneself, by the way....:8 )

mutleyfour
5th Aug 2006, 10:39
Some of you are so boring with your so called spelling innuendos. You might suggest it’s just a bit of humour; well I’m not buying it. It just makes a visit to this site for some valuable information all the more tedious.

Good luck Alex, and please, if successful don’t turn into a boring old Neanderthal like some on here.

Edited as I had originally pointed the finger at all of you Airmen, which isn't the case as the majority on here aren't actually so petty.

Pontius Navigator
5th Aug 2006, 12:34
Mutley, do loosen up, there's a good chap.

If you have been paying attention you would have noticed that several posters have been taken to the cleaners for presentation and risen to the bait when bantered.

If all we can mention of Alex is an over-adequate comma then that surely can be seen for what it is. Not nit picking at all but a simple dig at all the others who used text-speak.

alex_holbrook
7th Aug 2006, 00:35
Cheers for the warm welcome guys, much appreciated. As for the commas...well...:rolleyes:. And yes, I did study German for two and half years. Anyway, like I said, I would guess I will be on here fairly regularly over the next six months, so I'll talk to some of you later on.
Danke schon,
Alex

SARowl
7th Aug 2006, 16:27

According to the book, 'Eats Shoots and leaves', the comma preceding the non-conjunctive phrase can be acceptable.

gingles
7th Aug 2006, 17:17
According to the book, 'Eats Shoots and leaves'.

That would be the pprune dot org bible then?

Keep up the hard work Alex and when posting on this forum always leave a spelling mistake for your own amusement.

professor moriarty
8th Aug 2006, 10:04

Could it be an "Oxford comma"?

bad livin'
8th Aug 2006, 10:11
A great pity you've turned down the chance to become an airborne warfare officer fella, life in the Andrew is outstanding (most of the time). Best of luck on your future endeavours. I take it you fully researched what it means to be an Observer? Very, very demanding role...

Jackonicko
8th Aug 2006, 10:50
Good luck, Alex. I prescribe lots of mental arithmatic and doing whatever you can do to sharpen up reactions and improve hand/eye co-ordination.