PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Advice please!

Rocky1987
4th Aug 2006, 20:59
Hello,

I've just completed my PPL and I can tell you I am hooked! I now know that I want to gain my ATPL and fly for a living! Easy to dream! I have a few questions before I start out on my long path for all you brainy pilots out there!

1.) Once I have gained my ATPL and go for an airline job will my school and college qualifications be important. I did'nt do as well as others but I wonder if that will let me down in getting a job?

2.) Once I have my ATPL do any airlines take you on without any hours on type? I mean how do you build up your hours on type without any airlines taking you on until you have x number of hours on type? If that makes sense!

Many thanks for reading,

Rocky

hpcock
5th Aug 2006, 04:38
Hey Rock

1stly well done for pasing your PPL. Believe me the kind of flying you've just been doin is the most exciting you'll ever do in your life.

To ans your qu's:

1) Its a bit of a grey area, as to whether your school results count towards the job you get. However, they will count towards getting a "decent job" There are some airlines in the world, that will structure your payscale & or salary, dependant upon what educational qualifications you've got. I'd say always do the level best at whatever stage of education you are at, before moving into the field of "professional examinations & licences."

Where are you up to, in regard to your schooling life, how much further do you want to go? Is Uni an option for you? The reason I ask these qu's is because in 10 yr time, & believe me its not that far away, it will be hard to turn back the clock.

2) I'm not even going to ans this qu. One step at a time. You'll find out as time pushes along. If you are determined to become an airline pilot, you've got much much bigger fish to fry in the meantime. Don't get embroiled in all this $hit now, its not worth it. When the time comes you'll know what to do. Also with an ever changing market, your qu may well become redundant in the future. Just forget about it for the moment, & concentrate on the task at hand.

Let me know your views.

Good Luck & well done on that PPl

HPC :ok:

Rocky1987
5th Aug 2006, 09:05
Thanks for the reply hpcock!

I have currently finished school and college and am in full time employment, to get enough money to pay for flying!

With the second question What I was also getting at was if I was to go and do my ATPL now and finished in say two years time where is the next step? Will any airlines take you on with a frozen ATPL? I heard that airlines only take on low hour students out of oxford for eg, all the rest have to have x number of hours on type! So where is the next step for someone with a frozen ATPL?

Many thanks,

Rocky

hpcock
5th Aug 2006, 09:33
Rock

Nearly all pilots that join airlines will have a frozen ATPL. Yes there seems to be a consensus that agree if you have been to one of the recognised schools, you'll get a better chance of employment. However, I have known a number of these guys who are still looking for work having been to one of these schools a long time ago.

The oter option is to go out and buy yourself a TR. This will cost anywhere between GBP 15 - 25,000, depending on which a/c you want to fly. Infact, this seems to be the way to gaining employment on a worlwide scale at present.

Be wise, choose carefully. PM me if you need any further help with this matter.

HPC

GoldenMonkey
5th Aug 2006, 11:00
Rocky1987

I think hpcock has given you sound advise regarding applying yourself to the max at what ever stage you are at with your education (or indeed anything you do in life).
Regarding moving forward from here with your ATPL study; have you considered looking at the CTC Wings scheme. Although by no means the only way into the industry, the experience of applying will pay dividends. Regardless of the outcome of your application/selection, the process will force you to consider various aspects of the training, job and yourself. Should you be successful, you would have a 'leg up' on the job hunt.

Just a thought. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

GM

Rocky1987
5th Aug 2006, 13:42
Thanks GoldenMonkey and hpcock for your reply's.

I have just checked out the CTC Wings scheme and unfortunately dont meet the required qualifications! I have looked at several schemes like this and all require the same qualifications!

Now would the only way forward be to go back and get my GCSE's and A levels upto scratch? I'm only asking because I dont want to spend the next few years going back to college, and then do my ATPL if I could go straight into my ATPL and have it in a few years!

Can anybody tell me if GCSE and A Levels are highly sought after in the commercial application process? Has anybody gone through an application for a commercial airline recently?

Many thanks,

Rocky

hpcock
5th Aug 2006, 14:30
Hey Rock

You must have a minimun of maths & English, at GCSE level. Prospective employers would prefer you to have A-Levels (preferably science based), but its not mandatory. However, you will be pushed further up/down the application process depending on which A-Levels, degree, etc... you've got & what grade you achieved. Remember, every applicant will have either a FATPL or an ATPL, its the other things on your CV which will determine whether you get the interview or not.

The airline I recently interviewed with, had a good look at my educational qualifications, and made it quite clear that my salary would be based on all factors, education inc. I am currently considering their offer

I'm in a slightly different boat to you, as I have a degree, however, my degree is in advanced econometrics. Nothing to do with flying at all. But be aware, every notch on your belt will help. I'm guessing that you are quite young - maybe a quick educational brush-up, wont do you any harm, infact it will certainly help you in the future. You've got plenty of years ahead of you!! Don't panic & rush this process, too many prospective wannabe's do & end up with NOTHING.

All said and done, the most important facet you need to work effectively in a flight deck is to be able to think on your feet, and to think laterally. This is primarily what airlines are looking for from you, & this will be highlighted to them when you interview.

Good Luck

HPC :)

planecrazy.eu
6th Aug 2006, 12:47
I went and did my A'Levels from scratch, they are a foundation you can never fall below. Some schemes state you need grades that would allow you entry to a science based degree. So really thats science, maths or economics. I am debating if i should do my degree, or what degree i should accept. I am still considering that BCUC course or Engineering and Brunel.

I spoke to someone recently, well a pilot that told me it took four years to get on the flight deck and having a degree allowed him to get a decent wage for the four years he had to wait. I think the repayments on the ATPL loans you would get are about £1000 per month that start only a few months after you complete, so you need to be in a 15k job just to pay that off. They you have to live...

All trainee's i have spoke to so far my age have at least a levels, most have degrees. I am sure this is not the case looking at the bigger picture, just the people i have come accross put me to shame with my eduation.

Rocky1987
6th Aug 2006, 17:31
Thanks for the reply planecrazy.eu!

Looks like most pilot's I have spoken to have a couple of A-Levels minimum. I know that becoming a commercial pilot is something I have always wanted to do so I guess the only way is to go back and get my grades back up to scratch!

Only trouble is i'm 19, in a fairly well paid job and have expense's to pay car, insurance, rent etc, so going back to college is going to be difficult, financially! Anyone know of a way to re-take GCSE's and A-Levels at night school or anything similar or is it going to be full time work? Guess I'll have to look into that.

Again thanks for everyone's reply's they have been most helpful,

Rocky

hpcock
7th Aug 2006, 03:45
Hi Rocky

Just a quick final one. I'm sure that there must be local colleges in your area that will run part-time A-Level courses. Do a small search on the net, you should come up with something. Alternatively, go and speak with someone at your old college, i'm sure they will help you, or know of someone who can.

On a personal level, when I left Uni, I worked with an airline in Ops, and got promoted quite quickly.When I was 23, I was taking home approx GBP 45,000. A lot of green when you're 23 - new car, etc...etc.

I left it all to persue a career in aviation, & really haven't looked back. Sometimes you got to sacrifice a good thing if you want to succeeed. Reading your posts tells me that you want this quite bad - so go & get it. If you need any help, PM me, i'd be happy to assist.

Good luck mate, & hope you make the right choices.

HPC ;)