PDA

View Full Version : Air Ambulance vid form the UK

vaqueroaero
4th Aug 2006, 20:55
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kea5KN8fcoc&search=helicopter

Quick question: If this was his only way into the accident scene I assume that there was sufficient room for him to turn around and go out that way.

Anyone have any details?

HeliEng
4th Aug 2006, 21:15
My question as a non-flying type, why could he not just land where he taxied to? Surely if there was enough space for him to taxi there he could have just as easily landed straight there?

I'm sure someone will shoot me down in flames, and tell me I'm talking nonsense!!

Practice Auto 3,2,1
4th Aug 2006, 23:38
Complete guess but could it be to do with downwash, if he was to land directly where he taxi'ed to, maybe the downwash would affect the casulty and other rescue services already there.

Nice commentry from the lads in the car too :E

whoateallthepies
5th Aug 2006, 08:53
PA you are right. The paramedics would have left the helicopter from the field landing. Once the patient was ready the helicopter re-positioned onto the road to make the patient loading easier. They would have landed away from the scene and ground taxiied up to avoid the downwash problem. Once the patient was on board they would probably have lifted directly from that spot.
(All conjecture but I've been there once or twice).

One occasion where a wheeled undercarriage is a bonus!

rivnut
5th Aug 2006, 10:06
Just a thought....from a risk management point of view....was it really necessary to taxy close amongst public vehicles on the road or could the taxying been stopped a bit further away somewhere nearer to were he initially landed and then wheeled the patient to the helo??? Would it have done that more harm to the patient?

BigMike
5th Aug 2006, 10:31
You might find the vehicles were a bit further away than you think. Zooming with the camera can give that effect. The traffic is also seperated by the barrier in the middle of the highway, and I would say the police have the accident side secured.
If we are the first response to the accident scene (quite often) then we land very close to the wreck so the Doctor and Paramedic can reach the injured quickly. If an Ambulance is there we will land a bit further down the road to avoid prolems with the downwash.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/Micksphotos/Main-highway-this-morning.jpg

fluffy5
2nd Sep 2006, 12:12
I thought the air ambulance was under the regulation of obstacle clearance of 2d.:cool:

GoodGrief
2nd Sep 2006, 12:46
@fluffy

One's the regs, other is real life.

Colonal Mustard
2nd Sep 2006, 13:57
Thats the trouble with everyone owning video cameras these days, someone somewhere is going to be filming you (and no i wasn`t involved):}

3rd Sep 2006, 06:06
Practise Auto - I wonder how that bunch scored in the Test the Nation on BBC :)