PDA

View Full Version : ATPL, University, and Finance Management

PPL152
4th Aug 2006, 20:21
Hello

I'm 18 and soon starting first year at University, studying B.Pharm(Hons.) which takes 5yrs. I have a JAA PPL (A) with over 80 flying hours on C-152.

I would like to further my aviation studies, to eventually achieve my JAA CPL/IR and fATPL, however, I would like to ask some questions.

1) I am thinking of studying for about 3 yrs, then freeze the University course, and go do my CPL/IR, fATPL at an FTO (integrated) and then, if I'm not lucky and don't find a pilot job, I go back to studying.... would this be advisable regarding future employment prospects, or would the modular route provide the same opportunities?

2) Since I'm no rich guy, how is it best to finance the course if I do not find a pilot job? It would be quite a nightmare in this case....

Thanks for anyone who'd like to comment

PPL152

Lucifer
5th Aug 2006, 11:09
1) I am thinking of studying for about 3 yrs, then freeze the University course, and go do my CPL/IR, fATPL at an FTO (integrated) and then, if I'm not lucky and don't find a pilot job, I go back to studying.... would this be advisable regarding future employment prospects, or would the modular route provide the same opportunities?
No - finish the degree, then do the training, as your earning ability with one is greater (while awaiting a flying job for example), and it shows a lck of commitment to one thing if you have not finished the degree.

2) Since I'm no rich guy, how is it best to finance the course if I do not find a pilot job? It would be quite a nightmare in this case....
Read the above - finish the degree first, then start working and saving.

Nobody in this business is rich - most people have loans to their name and have worked themselves hard.

PPL152
5th Aug 2006, 11:28
Thanks for the reply, but how long shall I work to save for it... I dont think it's advisable to get the CPL/IR when I'm 27 or 28...

Thanks

Lucifer
5th Aug 2006, 12:39
Why on earth not - there's no requirement to enter the career at 18-25, and many have had a career change and started in their 40s.

Save what you need

planecrazy.eu
6th Aug 2006, 12:39
Well i was thinking of the idea of doing a modular ATPL whilst in Uni, that way i come out at 27 with and ATPL and a MEng in Aerospace. Or my other idea was stick it out another year, get an FEng in Engineering and then go Integrated and some out at just under 25 with an ATPL, but no degree. What to do hey....

PPL152
6th Aug 2006, 15:25
then go Integrated and some out at just under 25 with an ATPL, but no degree. What to do hey....

How will u finance d course? or it isnt a problem for u?

I also thought of going modular while at university... but I doubt if that would be possible...