PDA

View Full Version : And the Best Job in the RAF is.....?

Affirmatron
4th Aug 2006, 14:31
Just had a couple of minutes to myself, and I was wondering what the very best job in the RAF would be. What would be the best balance of FUN, TIME OFF, WORKLOAD etc, irrespective of pay and promotion prospects.

For me, Best Job: If money was no issue I think a PTI on a small station would allow a suitable amount of downtime, with lots of jollies to hot places on exped, wearing a tracksuit to work and generally being appreciated when you let everybody pass the Fitness test without even getting changed (at least that's the way I'd do it).

Worst job: Fast Jet Avionics; always going wrong, lots of nights, lots of pressure, little thanks :(

Maple 01
4th Aug 2006, 14:44
Mover Washington DC - 3 hour day if there are any movements

Edited to add 'that's what I heard'

NorthCountryBoy
4th Aug 2006, 14:59
Ops Clerk on 17sqn (mid 90's) - never had a better job since !!
.... the above may be influenced by the Warsteiner Tinted spectacles and it being Friday afternoon

Lafyar Cokov
4th Aug 2006, 15:17
Customer satisfaction liaison officer for JPA. You don't even have to bother turning up for work!

Aynayda Pizaqvick
4th Aug 2006, 16:03
I reckon pilot 100 Sqn has to be right up there - apart from Leeming being in the middle of nowhere!

Always_broken_in_wilts
4th Aug 2006, 16:07
It's got to be anything to do with either the Red's or that white elephant Typhoon, both swan round the world going to airshows and neither are ever going to war......seems like a pretty good deal to me:ok:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
4th Aug 2006, 17:03
Got to be RAF Copper.

Shiny Barrier
New Speed Gun
Intelligent conversation with Partner (Woof!)

Unless of course, that's too passe and you are too self important to demean yourself with these duties.

More LAter;
'J' Bloke!!:cool:

Brakes...beer
4th Aug 2006, 17:25
Quite simple - fighter boss, BBMF.

Comp Charlie
4th Aug 2006, 18:15
I used to hear a story about Movers and G.E.'s sending postcards from exotic locations around the world to the Tyre Bay at RAF Marham.

Apparently it was (un)officialy recognised as the worst posting in the RAF.

:)

CC

insty66
4th Aug 2006, 22:23
Best job?

Got to be GR4 aircrew, you even get to make engineering decisions and not have those horrible technicians touch the aircraft and break it!:oh: :\ :}

Worst Job?

Anything not directly involved in putting aircraft in the sky……. Pick your own definition.

Affirmatron. Ps as a Fairy thanks for the vote.:ok:

D-IFF_ident
5th Aug 2006, 00:27
RAFLO Travis

No work, loads of time off and LOA for the hardship of living in California.

His Sgt works his Rs off though.

QFIhawkman
5th Aug 2006, 01:38
These Movts officer posts always looked good to me!

Although I can't say I've been all that badly done for in my own career!

Hawkman

Jopsy
5th Aug 2006, 01:49
SAR Winchman. What I always wanted to be but too short sighted for Aircrew.

RAFAT
5th Aug 2006, 01:55
Reds Circus Team.

BEagle
5th Aug 2006, 06:32
RAFLO Honolulu must have been good.

Used to be an aircrew slot, so the story goes, then taken over by a Movements Officer - who had the post disestablished...:rolleyes: .

VC10/VC10K AT/AAR QFI was once one of the best ME posts going - until the idiot Kelvin Rucksack ruined things in 2000.

Vim_Fuego
5th Aug 2006, 06:38
I reckon pilot 100 Sqn has to be right up there - apart from Leeming being in the middle of nowhere!

What! Spent most of my 'career' on maritime...Compared to our main posting at the moment Leeming is a dream shot!

I'd have to agree with previous people about certain RAFLO locations and the workload I perceive they cope with....

Not RAF but the RN have a pretty good one in the RNLO lodged at Key West.

Comp Charlie
5th Aug 2006, 07:15
Dear Beagle and Hawkman,

would just like to pull you up (in a friendly manner of course) on your use of the term 'Movements Officer'.

It is worth noting that the Movements trade does not in fact have ANY of its own officers.

The officers who come and 'guest' within the Movements Trade are actually Supply Branch officers who attend the Defence Movements School (DMS) at Brize Norton and attain a Movements 'Q' annotation on completion of the course.

Granted, there are some Supply Officers who gravitate towards Movements and do actually spend their entire career guesting in the trade (usually to the detriment of rank progression), but most of those DAMO's and UKMAMS Team Leaders you may have had dealings with in the past are just ghosts in the trade.

Some figuratively 'rape' the trade for what they need (Movements tour tick in order to go back to blanket stacking and subsequent promotion) and those of that ilk are usually sussed out pretty quickly by 'real' Movers. A lot only come into the trade because of the 'Gucci' tours like the RAFLO slots around the world, or because they joined up to travel (well, they joined up as wannabe aircrew mostly but got cut!) and it is easier to travel and see the world as a Mover, than as OC SCAF at Stafford...

The problem with not having its 'own' officers in the Mov Trade is that quite understandably why would a JO put his neck on the line for the trade at the risk of affecting his own career path for a trade he/she may actually feel no real affection for as it is a 'means to an end'...

Hence why, come AT aircraft delays, you will very rarely see an officer stand in front of a packed departure lounge briefing 200 grunts as to WHY they are delayed, even though said officer KNOWS the reason why as his/her office is situated within Ops/ Eng Ops and Load Control.

Instead they 'hide' behind a young SAC from the Passenger section, not in full receipt of all the info behind the delay, and said young 'un winds the pax up because they believe HE is keeping information from them.

After this occurs, posts appear on Aarse, here, and other websites relating to 'Nazi Movers' as well as subsequent whinges about Mover inefficiency in crewrooms and bars throughout the world.

Bit of a tangent I know, but if the trade had its 'own' officers, they may care a bit more and be a bit more proactive in certain areas which may court controversy, rather than gliding through a Movements tour without sticking their head above the trench and taking fire along with the lads.

CC

ps RAFLO slots are indeed, the best jobs in the RAF IMO and I agree with all other posts made with reference to them!!

greycoat
5th Aug 2006, 09:14
Beagle, re. RAFLO Hawaii, link to D-IFF-ident's comments about workload of the officer at Travis. Hawaii post similar and story goes that a VIP was met off ac by SNCO and VIP then challenged RAFLO over his absence and upshot was RAFLO being 'invited' to dis-establish his post.

trilander
5th Aug 2006, 11:31
Best posting I got was 1(F) in 1976 as new armourer, was in the carribean within two weeks, and then back and forth at 3 month intervals for two years. !what boss not more rum!

tarbaby
5th Aug 2006, 13:00
If no workload is the criteria and the RAFLO posts are not available then Akrotiri must come high up the list. No work, loads of sun, wine etc and aircraft not allowed to disturb the morning's peace.

Echo 5
5th Aug 2006, 14:34
Comp Charlie,
Standby for a rant from Blakey875. I'm sure he will support your last post wholeheartedly. He always maintains that the only type of Movements Officer is a Warrant Officer.:ok:

Comp Charlie
5th Aug 2006, 14:39
...and he is quite correct in that belief! ;)

Not slagging off Supply Officers (Movements Q Annotation) I just believe strongly that we would be a 'stronger' trade with our own officers, rather than 'guests' who drift in and out of the trade.

CC

glum
5th Aug 2006, 15:06
To be honest I don't think it's much different in the engineering world. The Officers move on every two years, and can do a first line tour, followed by MT, or IPT perhaps. Possibly Eng Ops or some other non-aircraft job. They too have to try and make a mark within those two years, and are constanly on the lookout for the next rung on the ladder. I doubt the Supply Officers view movements any differently to the way an Engineering Officer views some of the Eng postings.

Blakey875
5th Aug 2006, 15:10
E5 is quite correct - There is a Movements Officer but the rank starts and ends at Warrant Officer. Comp Charlie is also correct in most of his comments and sadly it is often the unprofessional, ill-informed behaviour of the Supply Officer (Movemenets Annotation) attached to the Movers who normally create the grief and hostility between the trade and others.

Beagle - The Hickham RAFLO post was disestablished because of the run down and change of primary role of the Vulcan and nothing to do with the Officer there at the time. I know this on good authority as one of the two Chief Techs who was there with him is a lifelong friend. Whilst there he married a young USAF Airwoman and they both now live in Pensacola. More info on request...

foormort
5th Aug 2006, 16:02
single seat fighter pilot

Blakey875
5th Aug 2006, 16:22
Not in the RAF but....

There are men in Guam whose full-time job is to travel the countryside
> >and
> >deflower young virgins, who pay them for the privilege of having sex for
> >the
> >first time . Reason: under Guam law, it is expressly forbidden for
> >virgins
> >to marry.
> >(Let's just think for a minute; is there any job anywhere else in the
> >world
> >that even comes close to this?)

Comp Charlie
5th Aug 2006, 17:05
Marham tyre bay? :p

CC

LunchMonitor
5th Aug 2006, 19:07
Fat Waff on Det .... all the loving you coud ever need!

BEagle
5th Aug 2006, 19:26
Clearly you never met the hideous 'Money Monster'.......

Aka (some years later and uglier) as 'Mrs Doubtfire'.

handysnaks
5th Aug 2006, 20:43
Bus driver at Wegburg on Disco night at Wildenrath....

Roamer
5th Aug 2006, 22:31
Being a techie and telling the aircrew they can't take the jet (anyway through the see off procedure but at the end is more fun)....more fun with GR4 crew cause they know it all....but i like it when i crew em out :ok:

We keep on Roaming.....

Best job?

Got to be GR4 aircrew, you even get to make engineering decisions and not have those horrible technicians touch the aircraft and break it!:oh: :\ :}

Worst Job?

Anything not directly involved in putting aircraft in the sky……. Pick your own definition.

Affirmatron. Ps as a Fairy thanks for the vote.:ok:

CALINIGE
5th Aug 2006, 23:15
Yes it is true that a RAFLO post is one of the best jobs in the Air Force, I am currently engaged on such a posting, I have also been one of those movers that travels the globe sending back postcards, I have also had 2 postings to Akrotiri and 1 to Gatow not long before it closed so have had first hand knowledge of a great deal of the above post's. Yes my job is the best in the RAF and it will probably be my last. I do work hard but admit there are fringe benefits. Aloha:) :cool: :D

Laarbruch72
6th Aug 2006, 00:11
Aloha:) :cool: :D

Now now, don't bite guys, I smell a troll!

Comp Charlie
6th Aug 2006, 08:50
Ah-ha...hello Mr Laar. I see you are still around.

I'll accept my apology in this thread if you're a bit fearful to dip your toe back into the RAFP thread to see the slating you got...

Either or, it matters not to me...

All the best

CC

Washington_Irving
6th Aug 2006, 09:04
I once knew of a WO who, as a Sgt, had his offshore master's ticket. Upon arriving in at Luqa in the 1960s, he was told that his job for the next couple of years would be skippering the staish's yacht. Spent the entire tour sailing around the Med and fishing.

Don't know if it can get better than that.

stillin1
6th Aug 2006, 09:12
Best job in the RAF
Padre
1. Only work one day a week
2. Only one AP
3. No amendments
4. Never see yer boss
5. Only career appraisal = on lifex
6. Free bread and wine for life
7. Quiet working environment
8. Cross dressing = is acceptable
Keep yer hair on - it is Pprune

Pontius Navigator
6th Aug 2006, 09:59
Beagle - The Hickham RAFLO post was disestablished because of the run down and change of primary role of the Vulcan and nothing to do with the Officer there at the time. I know this on good authority as one of the two Chief Techs who was there with him is a lifelong friend. Whilst there he married a young USAF Airwoman and they both now live in Pensacola. More info on request...

The first RAFLO at Hickam was a nav rad from BCBS. Every day he would come in and say "I'm posted" - where - Hawaii. Of course there was no such post. Then they established it and he got it. True.

Just read a very good book by Dr David Easter and Confrontation which talks about our East of Suez role and the need to withdraw from the Far East. When did the RAFLO job get disestablished?

rudekid
6th Aug 2006, 10:11
single seat fighter pilot

We don't have any operational single seat fighters do we?;)

Pontius Navigator
6th Aug 2006, 10:13
Yes we do.

airborne_artist
6th Aug 2006, 10:28
How about the RAFLO who was posted to one of HM Ships? Pre Falklands War HMS Endurance was established for a Spanish linguist. The Andrew had none to call on in 78, so a light blue Nav did the trip in 78/9. I don't think he did the full two year tour, so he probably went back to light blue land in the early/mid summer of 79.

Not a rumour, as I was also on board for part of the deployment.

rudekid
6th Aug 2006, 10:29
Yes we do.

Name one!:}

VP8
6th Aug 2006, 10:52
Spitfire BBMF:}

VEEPS

Pontius Navigator
6th Aug 2006, 10:55
Typhoon, Hurricane, Spitfire

rudekid
6th Aug 2006, 11:00
Typhoon, Hurricane, Spitfire

Ahh, thought that might have been your mistake! I used the word operational...

;) ;) ;)

Surely RAFLO Bahrain has to be up there, or Air Adviser Moscow?

Comp Charlie
6th Aug 2006, 17:55
I would put the 'Roving RAFLO' slot as probably the best of these jobs. Followed by RAFLO Calgary...Yee-ha!

CC

VP8
6th Aug 2006, 18:01
Caravan controller on end of runway in summer!!:E Bladdy cold in Winter though

VEEPS

fightingchickenplumb
6th Aug 2006, 19:04
the best job I have done is....

QRA, 7 days of eating large 5lb packets of bacon, watching Sky, surfing the web and servicing the jets a couple o times a day.....

..... easy life

regards

brickhistory
6th Aug 2006, 23:09
Thought I'd throw in three second-hand observations:

I interviewed three different USAF aircrew who did exchange tours with Lightning, Buccaneer, and Jaguar squadrons. All three, in separate interviews for separate stories, said their tour with the RAF was the highlight of their military careers. Professional, good-spirited and fun were some of the adjectives used.

Roadster280
6th Aug 2006, 23:26
Surely RAFLO Bahrain has to be up there, or Air Adviser Moscow?

You are jokng, right? What a ****hole. My lasting recollections of that place were the feeling of elation as the wheels left the runway on the way home.

Hammer Head Too
9th Aug 2006, 20:45
As a sooty erk straight from training went to DTVAS (Devon training & Visiting Aircraft Section) Wyton. Devons, Canberra T4's, JP3 & 5's, Chipmunks in the summer, all the VAS stuff when we had half an Air Force and even the 51 Sqn Andover to look after. I thought the whole of the RAF was going to be like that forever............. 431 Engine Bay next, building soddin Jag engines for 3 years then followed, reality with a bump !! Least it was in Germany and the wobbly down the Fear Dry Inn helped the sanity
HH2

navibrator
10th Aug 2006, 18:03

Yep - the UK is nowhere!

dwhcomputers
10th Aug 2006, 18:37
CFI RAFGSA at Bicester in late 60s and 70s held by Flt/Sgt then WO MTD A.G.
He was GOD. Nice bloke as well for those who are old enough to remember him.

A2QFI
10th Aug 2006, 19:28
Three suggestions and all true. In the 60s a colleague of mine had to 'hold' before an OCU and was given a Meteor conversion and sent to Singapore for target towing duties. Another had a longer hold and was sent as ADC to the Governor of the Turks and Caicos Islands. For myself, in a long and undistinguished career, a tour as a Bulldog QFI on a UAS, at Woodvale. Great station, great location and a great group of people to work with.

Yeller_Gait
10th Aug 2006, 20:37
the one I do now? hotels, no sand pits, nothing stressfull whatsoever, just turn up and do it?

Gets my vote anyday

Y_G

henry crun
10th Aug 2006, 21:44
dwhcomputers: Knew him well, as you say, one of the good guys.
He obviously had someone much much further up the tree looking after him to keep that job for so long.

paddygee
11th Aug 2006, 07:54
being a PI(a) (plotter) on II (AC) Sqn RIC around 92-93, when Dick WILKINS was the Sqn Ldr, was quite good. Loads of time off, lots of early stacks on a Friday, beer calls etc....hours of fun!!!!!

Truck2005
11th Aug 2006, 09:09
For us engineers - must be VASF Akrotiri. Spent TWO tours there, once as SAC when it was TASF, (1977), and again as SGT when it was VASF, (1995-98). Great bunch of lads, and lassies. Short days at work. Long days at the beach but worked bloody hard when asked to.

Long live the KEO hangover:ouch:

Megaton
11th Aug 2006, 13:27
Liaison Officer in San Antonio, Texas, wasn't particularly stressful. And one always had the pool in the back garden in which to unwind with a Margarita.

Squat-thrust
11th Aug 2006, 18:22
Early 1950's Air Gunner as was.
According to my old Dad (who was one) been an Air gunner on Lincolns or even better B29 Washingtons, a bit of travel i.e. navex to the Med, NCO pay and perks, little stress or responsibility, occasional fighter afil with the odd meteor for fun, even better fun was air to sea firing (could not miss the North sea). Could be a bit draughty in the tail (Lincoln), but a good paperback and flask would perk you up.
Though if Ivan had kicked off their job would become the worst.

dwhcomputers
11th Aug 2006, 23:34
Liaison Officer in San Antonio, Texas, wasn't particularly stressful. And one always had the pool in the back garden in which to unwind with a Margarita.
Did you still host the visit from the RAF Staff from the Embassy at Washington DC for the Annual Drinking Match(sorry liason visit)against the USAF?

Krystal n chips
12th Aug 2006, 08:41
I once knew a FS who could lay claim to this thread given that he managed not one, but two tours ( single / 18months ) looking after the Air Attache's Devon in---Bangkok. This would be c.early / mid 70's btw---seems he was just there to put pen to paper when required, the locals did all the daily bits n pieces, and er fly with it to wherever when required. He used to say it was "Hell on earth" ;) ---as we can all imagine.! Not sure quite what the aircraft / crews did however-----maybe others here can shed some light ?--but the word "arduous" was not part of his vocabulary when telling his stories of his tours out there.

Megaton
12th Aug 2006, 10:20
dwhcomputers,

Didn't work for the Embassy so they left me alone - plenty of time to catch up on self-study and exams :)

Flap62
12th Aug 2006, 23:27
It's a bit sad that most of the replies on this thread are from blunties largeing it up about the one in a million spangley flat stone posting.

You can keep your memories of sitting in a hot, sweaty office while waiting for the chance to knock off early for happy hour, I'll manage with leading an 8 ship through the highlands at 100ft.

Your best day doesn't even come close, trust me!!

Megaton
13th Aug 2006, 07:52
Don't know what your beef is, Flap62, but judging from some of your other posts we're both working for the same small Irishman now!

Flap62
13th Aug 2006, 11:40
True but didn't say I was currently sharp - blunt as beach ball is too punchy a phrase for me. You'll note I said memories however.

rudekid
13th Aug 2006, 11:48
It's a bit sad that most of the replies on this thread are from blunties largeing it up about the one in a million spangley flat stone posting.
You can keep your memories of sitting in a hot, sweaty office while waiting for the chance to knock off early for happy hour, I'll manage with leading an 8 ship through the highlands at 100ft.
Your best day doesn't even come close, trust me!!

And leading an OLF eight ship must have been an everyday occurence and not just a "one in a million" day! Your job must have been brilliant...

And your office must have been really cool, if you were leading an 8-ball!:{

Baron rouge
13th Aug 2006, 11:51
I recon beeing a French AF LO in Chivenor was probably one of the best position in the RAF, excellent flying, double pay and no military duties.
I think the RAF liaison Officers flying in France are very happy too, at least those who were in my squadron flying Jaguar and Alphajet, I believe there is one RAF LO flying Mirage 2000 in France, I am not sure it is a single seater squadron though.

snowball1
13th Aug 2006, 11:59
Part time raf mountain rescue, especially when your sat in the office and you get a call out!

snowball1
13th Aug 2006, 18:05
no, they had to do all the admin etc during the week in prep for the weekends!!

Circus Chimp
14th Aug 2006, 23:37
Reds Circus Team.

Only if you like carrying bags and polishing jets...LOL

Better job was 1417 Flt in the late 80's early 90's no war 4 sorties a day all down by 1 and none up before 8..beauty

Oh and it was in the caribbean...

Barkly1992
15th Aug 2006, 08:11
Chief of Air Staff I would have thought - or in Oz the current Chief of Defence Staff (on rotation of course) wears blue.

Either that or the morale officer for the Womens RAF or RAAF Pole Dancing Team.
:rolleyes:

Comp Charlie
15th Aug 2006, 10:54
I've applied for the job of Chief of the Air Staff on JPA.

Its quite stunning to see what you can apply for.

No luck on getting any bloody money back that I'm owed though :(

:ugh:

CC

Skunkerama
23rd Aug 2006, 10:43
Although not RAF, after doing my Oolloo course in Brunei, I always thought that my dream military job would be flying one of the two Huey's out there ferrying blokes around on training missions.

Would have to be as a Bootneck pilot though, wouldnt want to be a stinky pongo :)

Managed to fall 10ft off the end of a 180ft abseil line whilst out there. Bloody thing rose up on a thermal and dragged the end of the line up.

I bet the pilots of those things have great fun getting all Nam'd up for the inserts and pick ups. And then you've got Aus or Bangkok just a short trip away for R&R.

OpsMunkie
23rd Aug 2006, 11:32
Had a mate who did a holding stint on the Jag display team as the commentator. Not the best job in the RAF by a long shot, but not a bad one for a holding officer and I bet it beat the hell out of sitting on ops all day.

Gainesy
23rd Aug 2006, 12:15
Managed to fall 10ft off the end of a 180ft abseil line whilst out there.

I take it that it was the bottom end?:uhoh:

Skunkerama
23rd Aug 2006, 12:31
I take it that it was the bottom end?:uhoh:

Yup, just as I was dusting myself off and trying to get some air back into my lungs I looked up to see my mate Jules hitting the deck after falling 30ft and onto his SA80 which was strapped across his back. Broke his back and got 8 weeks in Singa's, lot's of money compensation and stayed in the corps, was even playing footy a year later.

Tubby
6th Sep 2006, 15:27
Best job in the RAF
Padre
1. Only work one day a week
2. Only one AP
3. No amendments
4. Never see yer boss
5. Only career appraisal = on lifex
6. Free bread and wine for life
7. Quiet working environment
8. Cross dressing = is acceptable
Keep yer hair on - it is Pprune

course the Madres get to wear girls clothes all the time!