PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Heathrow

Gouabafla
4th Aug 2006, 09:37
Tomorrow, Mrs G and I are off to meet my boss in Geneva. We leave disgustingly early from Heathrow on Saturday and will return late on Sunday night. What is the best way to park the car for about forty hours? I normally use public transport to get to LHR but this time round I need to take my own machine (assuming I can get the flat tyre fixed).

Ta.

Globaliser
4th Aug 2006, 09:43
Because of the "disgusting early", you will probably want to minimise the hassle of looking for a parking space and then trekking from the car park to the terminal.

So my recommendation is this: Purple Parking (http://www.purpleparking.com)'s meet and greet service. Arrange a time to meet at the terminal. Drive to the drop-off lane of the terminal. Hand over car and keys to the driver. Walk inside terminal and check in.

When you return, if you have booked meet and greet in both directions, you just call Purple Parking at the time they suggest on the receipt they give you (depends on whether you have checked baggage or not). After you exit Customs, go to the meeting point where the driver will hand your car and keys back to you.

Simplicity itself.

James 1077
4th Aug 2006, 11:51
Meet and Greet

It is a good idea in theory but there is no way that I would ever hand over my keys to some snot rag so that he/she can drive my car like a maniac!

Globaliser
4th Aug 2006, 12:04
It is a good idea in theory but there is no way that I would ever hand over my keys to some snot rag so that he/she can drive my car like a maniac!I understand the sentiment. However, Purple Parking's drivers are not "snot rags" but are actually usually older men and very responsible. I've used them dozens of times and have never had any complaints.

SHogan
4th Aug 2006, 13:07
I understand the sentiment. However, Purple Parking's drivers are not "snot rags" but are actually usually older men and very responsible. I've used them dozens of times and have never had any complaints.

Got to agree with this, I've used meet and greet at Stanstead and it was great. They met us in the set down area with a trolley and went over the condition of the car, scratches and dinks and the like, and then explained to us about the return procedure. On the way back there was a bit of a wait, about 10 mins or so but I left phoning them a bit late so that was pretty understandable. I'd definitely use the meet and greet system again, worth every penny.

newswatcher
4th Aug 2006, 21:56
Sorry Gouabafla, saw your message too late. I have been using NCP lately when on business. The parking area is adjacent to the Park Inn Hotel, at the A4 end of the Heathrow spur. If booked in advance, it is 12.99GBP per day, 20GBP for 2 days. Bit of a challenge using the access road at present, due to alterations at hotel! Possibly closer to terminals than Pink Elephant. Best for terminals 1 & 2, no pick-up from terminal 3 at present, does not serve T4.
:ok:

SXB
4th Aug 2006, 22:01
My parents have used Purple Parking on a number of occasions, my Father was a bit nervous about handing over something worth £20,000 to some snivelling snot bag but was pleasantly surprised to find a more mature person to collect his car, I would think this is a purposeful policy to employ older and more responsible people. They use this service on a regular basis now and have never had any problems

PAXboy
6th Aug 2006, 12:33
Reading the thread too late for Gouabafla but, if you are not keen to hand over the keys of the Reliant, then Pink Elephant is the closest and fastest. I have found good service over the years with only the occasional small delay - but anyone will have those now and then. We wait to hear what decision G'fla made...

Gouabafla
7th Aug 2006, 10:06
Thanks for the input folks. I must admit I wouldn't really be worried about handing the keys for our old Mondeo over to someone - but the fact that I have to drive an old Ford means that I couldn't afford the meet and greet service (I work for a charity and have to cover a lot of my own travel expenses). In the end we went the easy route and booked ahead for a slot with Parking Express. We were flying from T4 and the bus connection was fine.

Apart from me forgetting to set the alarm clock on Saturday morning, everything went well. On the BA flights to and from Geneva they offered us rather nice cheese sandwiches (different types of cheese sandwiches, I hasten to add). All very good, but Mrs G. can't eat chees. So, no breakfast at home (idiot forgot to set the clock) and nowt to eat on the plane!