PDA

View Full Version : CX DESO, >4000hrs but still NO JOY!

king_fifi
4th Aug 2006, 02:40
To all out there who can who has the answer to my Q.

I've applied to CX for the position of Direct Entry SO for more than 2.5yrs ago & I've been updating my profile/flying record regularly ever since. I'm currently holding an ICAO ATPL, clocking more than 4000hrs GT with more than 2500hrs on widebody jet (all airlines hours), good track record.

Comparing to the minimum requirement for the position mentioned, I do believe I make the cut, well at least for the interview BUT to my disappointment, I do not hear anything from CX until now except for their acknowledgement email everytime I update my records. I wonder how CX conducts their selection process?

*Am I OVER QUALIFIED for the job? ( i guess not)
*Does CX selects their candidates from certain countries only? (if so, they should have mentioned it in their webpage)
*Does skin color plays a factor here? (it seems very obvious to me that as long as you've got some bush hours, meet the min requirement & MOST IMPORTANTLY "WHITES" consider yourself in)

Can anyone shed some lights to my Q above? I believe if CX continue with the way they're doing things (if my assumptions are correct) they're gonna loose hell lots of a good pilot out there!

Any comments/feedbacks are welcome & I would like to end this with sincere apology if my post offended anyone out there.

Regards,
KING

ALPHA FLOOR
4th Aug 2006, 03:05
Have you called CX and had a chat with the ladies in recruitment?

DONT PLAY THE RACIST CARD OR YOU WILL BE UNWELCOME. We have pilots from many many different ethnic backgrounds and racial demographics.

AF

junior_man
4th Aug 2006, 04:25
remember, the published minimums are just that, minimums. they may be interviewing and hiring people with far more time than that. They may have university degrees or more varied types of experience.
May also be something else on your app they don't like or something is missing etc.
If you do call, be polite. See if there is any type of additional experience that might help you get an interview. Maybe there is something wrong on the app that has prevented you from getting the call etc.
There are pilots from all over the world in a variety of colours here, that isn't the issue. The level of experience of the other candidates that are applying for the job may be, or there may be some error etc.

rampvet
4th Aug 2006, 04:58
"it seems very obvious to me that as long as you've got some bush hours, meet the min requirement & MOST IMPORTANTLY "WHITES" consider yourself in"

With this comment you have shown yourself to be amazingly ignorant, selfish, and stupid.
With the attitude you display here, it's amazing they haven't ripped up your application updates and told you to take a hike!

There are MANY whites I know who have time similar to yours and haven't gotten the call yet.

Do you have any idea how many applications they receive????

king_fifi
4th Aug 2006, 09:47
First of all, many thanks to those replied to my thread. As I've mentioned in my earlier thread, I've no intension or whatsoever to hurt anyones' feeling. I do understand the operation of an airline as they always have their own policy of doing things. Racism is definitely not part of my blood. I just wish to know how things work in CX so that to better prepare myself & what to expect.

:) Rampvet, many apologies if my thread has upset you. Hope there's no hard feelings!

:) Alpha Floor, hope you can enlighten me a little more here, any idea where I can get those recruitment numbers from? Is it ok if I just email them?

More advice & comments are welcome. I do accept it with an open heart!

Cheers for all

-King-

Jett77
4th Aug 2006, 10:53
i think all of the above suggestions are right especially from AF. Give them a call, you have nothing to loose but everything to gain. Again ask politely on how your application is going and if there is any additional things you need to get you thru. Best of luck to you KING! Hope you get your call and answer to your questions soon!

PS: racial issues? Although there are more "whites" at cx, CX gives the same considerations as to any other cultrue. What they are really looking for is if you have the qualifications that they NEED and WANT.

dynamite dean
4th Aug 2006, 12:33
From my point of view why dont you apply for the DE F/O 1000hrs on 20tonnes etc requirement? They probably think you'll get bored being the third man on the flight deck for a couple of years compared to the position you currently hold they aint stupid; yes I think you may well be qualified too much if there is such a phrase when I went for my second interview three of four years ago (I didnt get through by the way) out of the eight or so that were there three were offered S/O positions . Experience was varied but broadly speaking 3500hours medium weight aircraft, was the order of the day the very experienced chap who was a seasoned heavy jet lad 4500hrs plus I believe , one of the trainiers/managers did say to me why on earth has that guy applied as a second officer he should be applying for the DE F/O positions. I guess they dont want to take you too late when your in you heavy jet career, too me its common sense you need to be applying for the frieghter fleet 3 years on that then your back onto the Pax fleet you more useful there.....or something like that! Carol, and the then Andrea really nice down to earth people require a Second Offcier position to be realistic career move AND mover for them and you.Otherwise you fall into the the next pond of pilot's CV's.

Anyway this thread doesnt help I know but its just food for thought thats all.:ok:

airbusa330
5th Aug 2006, 20:52
Hi to all,
I applied 4.5 years ago, when I had 960 hrs TT.Was given an''we shall keep you on file'' response.I have been updating since.Currently 3300 hrs, 2200 hrs jet >50T, and still no joy.I update every month, spoken to the girs in recruitment and visited HKG(what else can one do?).When I applied there was no option on what position to select so presumably recruitment select accordingly.

A friend of mine applied 3 months ago, first application, 1500 hrs TT, 1000hrs jet,month latter was called up, just had the interview, second to follow,Go and figure.

Maybe age, I am 33, does that matter?Good luck to all.Can anyone please advise.

CaptainProp
5th Aug 2006, 22:51
Same for me....Have had appl. in for 5 years now. From 1000 hrs and now 4500+ with 1500+ bus, 2000 hrs TP PIC....Nothing....Know someone who applied about 5 months ago who is now going to HK for round 2, with less exp....
/CP

rampvet
6th Aug 2006, 04:03
Sorry to fly off the handle, King Fifi. But I think you've seen from the responses that it is not a race issue. I agree with the other posters that, rightly or wrongly, the location of your education and flight training is a factor.
I know it's a frustrating wait, but I'd agree that giving the CX office a call might give you some idea of where you stand.
Good luck.
RV

drongo
6th Aug 2006, 13:23
Can anyone shed some lights to my Q above? I believe if CX continue with the way they're doing things (if my assumptions are correct) they're gonna loose hell lots of a good pilot out there!

Any comments/feedbacks are welcome & I would like to end this with sincere apology if my post offended anyone out there.

Some historical stats for FO selection:

approx 20% of all people who apply to CX get application forms
approx 25% of all people who get application forms get an initial interview
approx 60% of these get invited back to a final interview

No quota on the number of pilots to recruit, or where you come from, just a standard they want.

The overall selection rate of the FO pilot pool is less than 2%.

You are not alone by not getting an interview, some people are interviewed with over 10000 hours. Nor is CX finding it hard to get people of their required standard to interview.

Looks like your assumptions are way off mark, and maybe that has come through in your correspondence. You are not guaranteed an interview if you meet some advertised minimum requirements, nor are you guaranteed an interview with 5 or 10 times their minimum requirements.

You will get an interview if you are the best person they think will fit into their airline, they hire people for who they are, not for some numbers in a logbook, and not just to meet some quota.

Redflyin
6th Aug 2006, 23:25
Some guidelines on what helps......

1.European/British background. Either through family name or directly.
2.Either international flying experience or traveling to other countries personally. (basically a review of your passport).
3.Travel to Hong Kong, not just Hong Kong knowledge. (again, verified by your passport)

Another interesting point is that they prefer NOT to have college experience. This has come up recently at many interviews. Not sure whats behind this part of the profile. Just guessing, I think they like you being completely dependant on Cathay and that lifestyle, not some back-up plan.

This things won't get you an interview, just help in getting to stage two.

airbusa330
7th Aug 2006, 08:38
Hi guys thanks for the input.

I can't get around the Minimum requirements, stated ones are one thing, then recruitment seem to have different unofficial requirements.
I spoke to the girls in recruitment and was given an answer''In order to be competitive you need 3000 hrs TT, 1000 hrs turbine''?How could I point the obviouswithout sounding insulting?2200 hrs Airbus does not look obvoius enough.So how does my mate get an interview with 1500hrsTT then?

''No quota on the number of pilots to recruit, or where you come from, just a standard they want''.

What's the standard then?

''the location of your education and flight training is a factor''.
Bollox!

Glass Half Empty
7th Aug 2006, 17:38
Not seen the form recently but do they ask questions about what personal qualities you have or why you want to join? Maybe that is where the difference lies!

SIC
10th Aug 2006, 11:59
Went through the same thing and wondered as well...
got the call eventually and now I can state the following:

1. Age / experience dont matter much
2. Keenness does - hassle them
3. A reference helps - they are too proffessional to hire their brothers and friends and cousins like we do in Africa - but if someone you know in the company can put a good word in....:E

dhoonk
11th Aug 2006, 02:27
Some guidelines on what helps......

1.European/British background. Either through family name or directly.
2.Either international flying experience or traveling to other countries personally. (basically a review of your passport).
3.Travel to Hong Kong, not just Hong Kong knowledge. (again, verified by your passport)

Another interesting point is that they prefer NOT to have college experience.

I would have to disagree with all four points you made, Redflyin. My opinion (and I do stress that it is just my opinion) comes from having successfully gone through the interview myself as well as seeing many of my friends (from many cultural and national backgrounds) go through the process over the years. Some have made it and many have not. I find no correlation between the results and those points you made. Absolutely none.