PDA

View Full Version : RN or RAF

JAG3
3rd Aug 2006, 18:22
Hi Guys
While being banned for 10 days I was wondering about this question as many guys have told me to go RN becase I'll be able to get in because of the mild asthma as an 8 yr old. So I was hoping this could start a fresh and interesting debate regarding joining, try not to make it a complete slanging match if you could with honest answer's.

ZH875
3rd Aug 2006, 18:23
Hi Guys
While being banned for 10 days I was wondering about this question as many guys have told me to go RN becase I'll be able to get in because of the mild asthma as an 8 yr old. So I was hoping this could start a fresh and interesting debate regarding joining, try not to make it a complete slanging match if you could with honest answer's.

JAG3
3rd Aug 2006, 18:25
Thats a good one I have to admit but JAG is describing my 3 initials.:ok:

Pontius Navigator
3rd Aug 2006, 18:33
Jag3,

Looking at your earlier posts It's a hard question to answer because I've interests in my other options such as FC or IO but the flying side I feel will probably wipe those other options out. I would advise against either of these if your ambition is to fly.

Try the FAA. As for IO, IMNSHO, you are not ready for the secret squirrel job. As for FC, no, don't lets go there.

Talking Radalt
3rd Aug 2006, 23:15
Go RN, as the RAF are getting rid of Jag's:)

Go RAF, as the RN have already got rid of anything fast and even slightly pointy. :}

Aynayda Pizaqvick
3rd Aug 2006, 23:53
Go RAF... if you fail then you can always go to the RN like most of their pilots:}

Pierre Argh
4th Aug 2006, 09:07
Go RAF, as the RN have already got rid of anything fast and even slightly pointy I'm sure the GR7 pilots on 800NAS and 801NAs would take issue with that?

Go RAF... if you fail then you can always go to the RN like most of their pilots In over twenty years experience I have tended to find it the opposite (i.e. there are many more RAF pilots who's first choice was the RN first than the other way around)

FLY NAVY... it's a more select bunch of guys and gals.

South Bound
4th Aug 2006, 09:22
Depends if you want to live in a tent in the sand or a metal box floating in the water next to the sand. Take your pick! The flying differences seem to be 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, so you need to consider lifestyle/time away from home/basing etc.

SpikeyM
4th Aug 2006, 13:48
You're the one that has to make the decision between the services, you are right to gain opinion and advice from forums such as this but you should not be persuaded in either direction just by the opinions of others. You need to look into how both forces go about their business and what type of personalities there are in each, because they are different. Get in touch with your AFCO and arrange visits to both RAF and RN (flying) stations and meet the ugly (light blue) and dashing (dark blue) sods that work there, and ask yourself 'would I fit in?'. You may even find that you would be better suited to flying civvy. Either way you will be better clued up as to what is involved in the the job and the lifestyle and therefore better placed to make your own mind up. It really is a waste of time asking questions like 'do I join the RAF or Navy?', on this forum because the answer is 'don't know, what do YOU want to do?' Get off yer backside and do some proper research. :)
With the point on asthma, just call your careers office, speak to both RAF and RN, be honest with them and see what they say. The careers office will be far more gen'd up on the very latest entry criteria than any of us lot on here.
Good luck and don't come back until you've got a proper question. :E

Pontius Navigator
4th Aug 2006, 20:54
'suppose it is a question of style over substance.

QFIhawkman
5th Aug 2006, 02:03
I for one would rather sit in a proper mess all day, than that old tin fort, struggling to fit my belongings in three drawers!

As Pontious said, it's all about the style!

But then that's just me!

Hawkman

Pontius Navigator
5th Aug 2006, 08:18
actually I had in mind the satorial elegance of the duty officer in mess dress or being met by gold braid as one went on board:}

JAG3
8th Aug 2006, 13:03
Only back there from a holiday in London which is why I'm late, someone said about the lifestyle, personalities etc. how would someone go about finding out that without travelling over the water. BTW Spikey I don't think it was a stupid question as all I'm doing is gaining some furthur knowledge which really can't be obtained anywhere else on the web.:ok:

OpsMunkie
8th Aug 2006, 13:10
Spikey I don't think it was a stupid question as all I'm doing is gaining some furthur knowledge which really can't be obtained anywhere else on the web.:ok:

No...but it can be obtained from your local AFCO, as was quite rightly pointed out. If your not decisive enough to make your own decisions, my instinct would be to say join neither.

JAG3
8th Aug 2006, 13:16
Ops Munkie
I personally think it would rather be stupid if I walked into a recruiter at my AFCO and asked ''what type of person enters the navy'' or ''whats my personality appropiate for'' as they will almost certainly try to fill my head with total nonsense which is doing no one good and this has also been pointed out many times before.:ok:

ratty1
8th Aug 2006, 13:52
How many times do you need to ask this question about the RAF RN and asthma. http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229870 http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224985 http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233130 Try looking at your threads on this subject above.

OpsMunkie
8th Aug 2006, 13:59
Well spoken Ratty, says it all really

JAG3
8th Aug 2006, 14:05
You're starting to get a bit sad Ratty that you're taking time to go through all my threads then every time I post something you make a judgement against every single word I say, haven't you a job or something to go to. ha ha ha

ratty1
8th Aug 2006, 14:20
Jag because you seem to start so many threads on the same subject would indicate that you cant think for yourself. This is something that the RAF or RN like people to be able to do, especially if they are after a Commission. If you have any questions on medical or lifestyle grounds you should direct them to the AFCO.

JAG3
8th Aug 2006, 14:22
I would like to thank you Ratty as this is the first time I think you have spoke to me without being vindictive or quite nasty.:ok:

OpsMunkie
8th Aug 2006, 14:30
Ok, you have surely realised by now that you will get very limited benefit from posting such threads on Pprune. So, hows this for an idea. If you really want to know what the people in both services are like, how about trying to get some work experience in. This may give you a bit of an incite into what its all about, and will look good when you go to OASC.

JAG3
8th Aug 2006, 14:37
Ops, Its impossible I'm afraid in NI as every time I have tried you can't get in for security reasons. The army is easy to get in but its not the army I'm interested in and I also think it is completely different in all aspects to the other services. BTW my last post wasn't meant to offend anyone, I was just stating that maybe a new leaf has turned for me and Ratty.:ok:

ratty1
8th Aug 2006, 14:45
The army is easy to get in but its not the army I'm interested in and I also think it is completely different in all aspects to the other services Goto ARRSE and post what you have just said. Jag just make up your own mind and stop posting the same questions here as it gets boring.

Rev I. Tin
8th Aug 2006, 14:53
Ops, Its impossible I'm afraid in NI as every time I have tried you can't get in for security reasons. The army is easy to get in but its not the army I'm interested in and I also think it is completely different in all aspects to the other services.

Rubbish! You are not trying hard enough and making excuses. I hosted several prospective RAF entrants at Aldergrove. Security reasons my arrse.

You are not blessed.

JAG3
8th Aug 2006, 15:26
This is true as I have contiously looked for work experience through my school but my careers teachers told me there not accepting any students except ones that have contacts inside Aldergrove which is something I don't have.:ok:

samuraimatt
8th Aug 2006, 15:35
Do you have GCSE English? What Branch are you looking at? I am considering NCA and have been told that English GCSE is very important. I hope you dont mind me saying but your english grammar is terrible. You do know that you will have to produce essays and lots of written work at Cranwell or Dartmouth. Try here for advice http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/words/grammar/

Rev I. Tin
8th Aug 2006, 15:43
Speak to the AFCO Belfast and they will arrange it.
Write to the RAF Aldergrove Community Liaison Office (Corporate Communications :yuk: or whatever they are called these days).
Write to the Station Commander RAF Aldergrove.
Write to OC 230 Sqn.

Write/phone ANY AFCO in UK and arrange a visit to ANY RAF Station.
Get on the ferry/plane and make a nuisance of yourself.

Like I said, you are not trying hard enough.

Oh, and sort your English out. It's Cr@p!

matt_hooks
8th Aug 2006, 15:45
Please don't think me rude for commenting on this post, but it always amuses me when people criticize the grammar of others with rather dodgy grammatical constructs of their own.

I appreciate that you are probably trying to help, but I find it rather ironic none the less.

As regards which branch you should join, I think that it might be slightly arrogant to assume that both, or in fact either, would take you.

My advice would be to apply for both, and then if you find yourself in the enviable position of having to make a choice then you can worry about which one suits.

I hope you find what you are looking for!

Do you have GCSE English? What Branch are you looking at? I am considering NCA and have been told that English GCSE is very important. I hope you dont mind me saying but your english grammar is terrible. You do know that you will have to produce essays and lots of written work at Cranwell or Dartmouth. Try here for advice http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/words/grammar/

samuraimatt
8th Aug 2006, 15:50
Please don't think me rude for commenting on this post, but it always amuses me when people criticize the grammar of others with rather dodgy grammatical constructs of their own.

I appreciate that you are probably trying to help, but I find it rather ironic none the less.

As regards which branch you should join, I think that it might be slightly arrogant to assume that both, or in fact either, would take you.

My advice would be to apply for both, and then if you find yourself in the enviable position of having to make a choice then you can worry about which one suits.

I hope you find what you are looking for! A perfect example of my last post.

matt_hooks
8th Aug 2006, 15:58
A perfect example of my last post.

Meaning what exactly?

I fully concur that an ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and oral, is important for any job. All I was pointing out is that those who live in glass houses really should not throw stones!

I find your attitude strange. JAG has asked a question and I think that criticizing his English is somewhat unhelpful.

From your comments I deduce that you are still at school, so I forgive some of your pugnaciousness, but youth is no excuse for poor manners!

samuraimatt
8th Aug 2006, 16:14
Have you actually read his posts? He will be required to produce very important written reports and plans for senior Officers. If he is to succeed, then, he should be able to accept constructive criticism. I am not the only one to say that his English is not upto scratch. Try reading his other posts and you will get a flavour for the standard of his English. btw, I dont need your forgiveness. Out of interest are you American? If not, read your posts again. If you still don't get it then there is no hope for you.

JAG3
8th Aug 2006, 16:31
Samarui
Why have you chosen to criticise my english then use this as an obstacle for me getting in the services. I can ensure that I don't take time to prepare my posts for grammer miscalculations but instead use my spelling etc. to show that I am not poorly educated. I received a grade B in English GCSE which I'm sure acknowledges some aptitude for grammar. I also received another 8 GCSE's at grade B or above which is something you musn't have as you're going for NCA.

Oh and why don't you read the thread again as it clearly points out that I am aiming for aircrew because you did ask ''what branch are you looking for.''

Rev I. Tin
8th Aug 2006, 16:49
Samarui
Why have you chosen to criticise my english then use this as an obstacle for me getting in the services. I can ensure that I don't take time to prepare my posts for grammer miscalculations but instead use my spelling etc. to show that I am not poorly educated. I received a grade B in English GCSE which I'm sure acknowledges some aptitude for grammar. I also received another 8 GCSE's at grade B or above which is something you musn't have as you're going for NCA.

Oh and why don't you read the thread again as it clearly points out that I am aiming for aircrew because you did ask ''what branch are you looking for.''

I cannot speak the the rest of my colleagues in the RAF, but I wouldn't want have you in the RAF whilst my a$$hole points down.
If you managed to get in, you would be a living example of Annual Confidential Report comments such as:
Airmen only follow this Officer out of morbid curiosity.
and
When this man joined the RAF, a village somewhere lost its idiot.

Young man, you are an idiot.

samuraimatt
8th Aug 2006, 16:52
Samarui

Oh and why don't you read the thread again as it clearly points out that I am aiming for aircrew because you did ask ''what branch are you looking for.'' So now you are saying NCA are poorly qualified Aircrew? If you are not prepared to accept constructive points then maybe you are not suited to the Armed Forces. You will see that I am not the only person to comment on your grammar. Not taking time to check your posts for mistakes just shows that you pay no attention to detail. This will not stop you getting in but it will have a bearing on your performance during your training. Btw, I have the requisite qualifications for a Commission in the RAF but have chosen to apply for NCA. I am happy with my choice of career something you seem to be unsure of. Insulting people will not get you to the front of the queue when it comes to joining the RAF, RN or what ever service you plan to join. Good luck. You will need it.

Pontius Navigator
8th Aug 2006, 17:32
Wow, and I got picked up for criticising an over adequate comma.

Give the lad a break, he is from oversea after all and they are supposed to have a good ejucathun system.

Danny_Boy
8th Aug 2006, 19:11
I received a grade B in English GCSE which I'm sure acknowledges some aptitude for grammar. I also received another 8 GCSE's at grade B or above which is something you musn't have as you're going for NCA.

So you have 9 GCSE's at B or above. Well done, I have 10 at B or above. Whoopy doo, I must be wonderful.

I am, however, a mere 'enlisted man' because I knew what I wanted to do, and that was join as an AC. I didn't come on the internet to be told what I should want, I already knew. If you honestly believe that everyone who is non-commissioned has failed to meet the education standards for a commission then you are are dumber than I thought (and I thought you were quite dumb). Perhaps a lot of people out there actually know their own minds?

Pontius Navigator
8th Aug 2006, 19:22
JAG3 see PM

Zoom
8th Aug 2006, 19:42
JAG3
You need some air(craft) experience so nip down to the Ulster Flying Club at Newtownards and give Aircoupe G-AROO a pat for me, please. I soloed in her in 1965 and she is still there, gleaming in her new paint job.

JAG3
8th Aug 2006, 21:53
I would like firstly to sincerely apologise for my actions as it seems I have offended quite alot of people which I blame all myself because I have truly been stupid and said some foolish things.:ugh:

The point on NCA I feel has got completely taken the wrong way as I didn't mean to offend anyone but stupidly thought that obviously this guy hasn't got the qualifications so must be going for NCA which when I look back I truly regret.

I also feel that maybe my northern irish upbringing and education has led me to soumd blunt or sometimes rude when I really don't mean to offend, sometimes too honest on what I say.

I don't feel I should change my name because it shows I am running from the situation so hope that maybe those whom I have offended can forgive and if you can't I understand.

I personally thought that some threads that I have created has given people of my age some needed help which is something I was lost for a few months back. I was also looking for people's opinions on certain matters as I know nothing of the real life experiences of the armed forces so was looking for any advice possible.

I now feel I have stated my case and await your responses which I would like to hear as I truly hope to be amended.

Pontius Navigator
8th Aug 2006, 22:01
Jag your mail box is full. You must clear it down to receive more meesages.

matt_hooks
8th Aug 2006, 22:18
Samurai Matt, why do you persist in your unwarranted personal attacks?

I merely commented on the fact that it is rather ironic to criticise JAGs grammar and grasp of the english language with a post which is itself filled with gramatical inaccuracies.

I believe that English is a modern, flexible language and I'm sure you could easily understand the meaning and intent of his posts.

As for this comparison of qualifications, I think it is rather pointless! I have several high level qualifications which I will not mention here, as I do not feel the need to attempt to inflate my ego by shouting about them.

The lad has apologised for offending anyone, and is aware that he might not have approached his line of enquiry in the manner most likely to win friends and influence people, now can we see if we can offer him some useful advice?

We have established so far that his application would be greatly assisted by gaining some experience of aviation, both military and civilian. Is there anyone here who might be able to assist in this? There must be someone here who has contacts, or can advise on who to approach and how best such an approach might be made?

Danny_Boy
9th Aug 2006, 08:56
I would like firstly to sincerely apologise for my actions as it seems I have offended quite alot of people which I blame all myself because I have truly been stupid and said some foolish things.:ugh:

I don't feel I should change my name because it shows I am running from the situation

Excellent JAG, a mature response that shows you are happy to front up to your mistakes, admit them and learn from them. There may be hope for you yet...

The Helpful Stacker
9th Aug 2006, 09:16
Jag because you seem to start so many threads on the same subject would indicate that you cant think for yourself.

Army it is then.;)