PDA

View Full Version : need info on AC

kittymeow
3rd Aug 2006, 17:14
ok heres the situation. US citizen finishin my commercial here in the states. however i want to move to canada ..ya i know most canadians want to come here..but i like canada..i dont realy like it here in the states. i plan on finishin my instructor rating before headin out to canada. i would like to one day fly for air canada. i know their requirements online seem a lil low and im guessin they dont realy hire 1000 tt pilots. i know they require ''landed immigrant status'' which i dont think is very hard to aquire. so what do u guys think? do i have a shot at makin it into air canada if i work my way up as an instructor in canada? i know ill have to convert my licenses dont have a problem with doing that. the truth is ive spent a lot of time in canada and really love the country and the lifestyle. thank you for ur time

Lear45XR
3rd Aug 2006, 19:14
Well,

Canada was built by immigrants and I think somewhere between St-John's and Vancouver you'll be able to find a place to live and be happy...

1 000TT is not going to happen anytime soon, but by the time you get here, start to fly and get an ATPL you should be in good shape. My friends and I all had between 3 000 and 8 000tt when we were called for the interview. Some were Air Force, some were Corporate others were from the feeders. All had turbine time and most were Jet Captains. Some got hired, some got the PFO letter, some are still waiting and others turned down the offer...AC is a great company for some, but not for all.

Westjet, Canjet, Air Transat, Zoom, Corporate aviation, Frax

It's not always easy to leave a company when you're making 110K flying int'l trips on a CL-604 to become an RP for three years making around 40K. Yes, I know, the salary will catch up somewhere down the line but when you have two kids, a pension plan and a brand new airplane to fly it's a little tougher.

You have 360 choices when you're a pilot...but it all comes down to where you're heading.

Good luck!:ok:

20driver
3rd Aug 2006, 20:36
Kittmeow. Before you get too far check that landed immigrant thing. Not as easy as it looks and it will take some time. Generally much harder to go North than coming South. I know times have changed but I suspect it is still pretty difficult.
Good luck
20driver

altiplano
3rd Aug 2006, 20:42
Good luck pal.

1 - I don't think it is as easy as you think to move here.
2 - Instructing on its own won't get you there.
3 - Good luck at getting any job here let alone one at AC.
4 - You're better to do a pay to fly regional thing down there and get a bunch of jet time and than reconsider your options...

kittymeow
3rd Aug 2006, 23:13
so geting immigrant status is tuff? i'm confused..air canada jazz has higher minimums then air canada...why is that? i notice the regionals in canada have way higher requirements then the regionals here in the states. but yet air canada has the lowest requirements of any airline ive seen in canada..and yet their the major? so if i do become a flight instructor i prob wont get immigrant status if i found a job? how do u get immigrant status?

kittymeow
3rd Aug 2006, 23:26
and yea i dont want u guys to think im some kid trying to fly jets for air canada only.. im aware i have to work my way up. i dont mind that..i want to do that..i wanna fly singles, twins, turbines.. i look forward to building experience. infact i kno its prob easier for me to stay in america ,instruct, then go to a regional carrier for a few years to build up time. Ill prob even get into a jet faster here, but its not about that..i jus dont like the life here in the states..i really like canada. i jus wanna know if its possible to move there as soon as possible..if i have to wait here to build up time, ill do so..but if theres a way to move there after getin an instructor rating..id rather do that. i dont mind that it will take longer to get into the airlines. im not really in a hurry for that. while air canada seems good to me now..im also interested in corporate flying...and fractional companies. i like all sides to flying.

20driver
4th Aug 2006, 13:47
kitty if you are serious you better do some research on getting a landed immigrant status first. It is not easy and takes time. Basically it is driven by either family ties or job skills. You have a lot of homework to do first.
20driver

GreatCircle
4th Aug 2006, 15:35
Kitty,

20Driver gives good advice as does Atiplano.

You are not going to get an IMM1000 (Permanent Residency Status - no-one is an Alien in our friendly land :} ) at the drop of hat. It will take -

1. A job offer first - given you have the unique skills as HRDC would say, that makes you a unique candidate above either a Citizen or Perm Resident. Don't think TN applies here, although I might be wrong. Anyone able to correct me ? Landed Status is usually given after a long and arduous process, and sometimes a limited work visa, tied to one employer would be a precursor and allow you to work, and apply for Perm Status.

2. Family ties. If you have provable family ties, and those ties are legit, then that is a huge bonus. Without them, things become ultra tough, and even then, success is not guaranteed. Plenty hours building jocks out here in the great white North looking for the career steps.

Irrespective of the hours required (read minimums - and plenty are taken on way above the mins - or they are known, if you see what I mean), it'll be tough there too.

Lots of research required before even contemplating it. Also, if you plan to come here to do flight training, you need a visa allowing you to do just that. You would not be allowed to work I believe - simply study. After training, you would normally be expected to leave. Not a great idea this!!

Right now, your best option, stay with Uncle Sam, and build the hours.

kittymeow
4th Aug 2006, 17:01
thank you all for the info.. if i hadnt posted this i would have not known all that. yea looks like i got a lot of research to do. guess its a lot harder then i thought. again thanks for the help guys :)

GreatCircle
4th Aug 2006, 21:28
Kitty...check your PMs!

expatcdn
8th Aug 2006, 16:38
To all of you congratulations on your job with Air Canada.

To anyone at AC who can answer:

Just a quick question, did you guys/gals have degrees or diploma's and how likely is it for someone like myself not having either a deg/dip but already flying for a Major Airline on the 747 to get a call. I hear of guys getting a call with 2000 hrs all Navajo time. Then I hear that guys with the experience like myself not getting a call because of not having deg/dip. One guy here has 6000hrs on the 747-400, and like myself would love to return home to Canada.

GreatCircle
13th Aug 2006, 15:45
To all of you congratulations on your job with Air Canada.

To anyone at AC who can answer:

Just a quick question, did you guys/gals have degrees or diploma's and how likely is it for someone like myself not having either a deg/dip but already flying for a Major Airline on the 747 to get a call. I hear of guys getting a call with 2000 hrs all Navajo time. Then I hear that guys with the experience like myself not getting a call because of not having deg/dip. One guy here has 6000hrs on the 747-400, and like myself would love to return home to Canada.

Think Brucelee is AC...he should be able to answer...I know some young uns from Seneca etc with lower time get in....

Lear45XR
13th Aug 2006, 22:25
Hi!

They prefer a deg and/or dip and/or military background and around 5000TT. That's what they're looking for...

Guys have been hired with 3 000TT. Navajo story has been around for a few months don't know if it's true. A LOT of guys come CMA with no jet time at all.

The best way for you to get noticed is to call one of your buddies at AC and have him drop your resume in.

Good luck!