PDA

View Full Version : ATPL / fATPL difference?

Delta452
3rd Aug 2006, 10:50
As the title suggests, can anyone please tell me the difference between a frozen and unfrozen atpl?

longarm
3rd Aug 2006, 11:24
A "frozen" ATPL holder has passed all the required exams for an ATPL but does not yet have the required flight experience (and so flys on a CPL). An ATPL has both (and flys on an ATPL).

Delta452
3rd Aug 2006, 11:46
So how much flight experience must a pilto gain before his license is unfrozen? Is the difference just a way of seperating inexperienced from experienced pilots?

Chesty Morgan
3rd Aug 2006, 11:48
Delts452

I think it is a Total time of 1500hrs, including, 100hrs night and 500 Multi crew.

It was a while a go so I stand to be corrected:ok:

Delta452
3rd Aug 2006, 11:50
I see... so are there any other benefits to a pilot when his/her license is unfrozen? Ive read that the vast majority of airliners promote a FO to SFO after flying 1500 hours or 3 years, is the frozen atpl the reason for that?

Chesty Morgan
3rd Aug 2006, 11:56
Pretty much.

As I understand it an SFO has the ability, competence and hours to be a Captain and has passed a successful command assessment(That's how our company works anyway). To be a Captain you must have an un-frozen ATPL.

:ok:

Delta452
3rd Aug 2006, 12:03
Excellent. Just one more thing. Does the pilot keep a record of hours flown in his log book and then send a copy to the CAA to authenticate his eligability to have his license unfrozen or does it work differently? I also take it the hours are of you personally being in control of the aircraft and not merely being on the flight deck?

Chesty Morgan
3rd Aug 2006, 12:10
You log both P1/PF and P2/PNF hours, and the total of these needs to be 1500hrs. Then you send your log book to the CAA with a cheque for about 300 quid and wait for upto 3 weeks.

:ok:

Delta452
3rd Aug 2006, 12:11
£300???! Now I know why pilots have to earn so much money... Thanks alot for the info guys, much appreciated

CamelhAir
3rd Aug 2006, 13:04
You log both P1/PF and P2/PNF hours, and the total of these needs to be 1500hrs

However, you must have a certain number of P1 hours (300 IIRC). Some of these can be PIC U/S (under supervision) which is co-pilot time in which you are PF, against which the captains signs your logbook. This is about the only useful application of the PICUS term - the reality being you are either the PIC or you are not, end of story.
You can also count up to 100 hours sim time towards the 1500 required.
The bottom line is that there is no such licence as a "frozen ATPL." The term is merely a marketing tool implying you have done some exams. You either have a CPL or an ATPL.

Fuel Crossfeed
3rd Aug 2006, 14:33
The amount is £210.00 to unfreeze the fATPL to an ATPL - and yes it is a lot just to change from a blue to a green book I waited 10 working days for mine to arrive. Alao glad that the post office didnt lose the log book too!!!