PDA

View Full Version : Poor Credit Rating

d71146
3rd Aug 2006, 08:09
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct part of the Forum for this post but here goes.

My question is I have a friend who is thinking of applying for a new job or jobs in the industry but she does have I understand a relatively poor credit record for whatever reason will this have any bearing etc with any future prospective employer credit checks etc spring to mind.

Piltdown Man
4th Aug 2006, 21:10
I don't believe that a person's credit rating is relevant to getting a job. However, there are sneaky ba:mad:rds in Human Remains who would be a able to make checks via third paties (like those with access to Equifax) and use a dubious score against you.

jamestkirk
5th Aug 2006, 17:18
I know a little about this.

If you could prove that any thirs party has made credit enquiries about you without the proper consent or for the genuine use of financial services, they are in serious trouble.

Normally, any search, no matter who it is will show up on your record.

If you suspect this has happened, pleade ignorance and try and find out more.

A breach of Data protection is plainly against the law.

And, if any airline thought you're employability was linked to your credit score then

1. They are complete c@cks
2. Most of us would have trouble

PPRuNeUser0172
6th Aug 2006, 13:25
As usual, quite a lot of b@llocks posted here, a little knowledge being dangerous and all that....

To the original poster, tell your 'friend' that there are a number of ways to improve a credit score, however this is not shrouded in secrecy as many think, try going to experian or equifax (google them) and they offer free advice. Anyone is entitled to their basic credit rating information for a meagre £2. This will not however include a score or a magic number, merely detail all credit accounts noted in the applicant's name.

Having lots of money in your bank account will not enhance your credit score as a current account is not a credit agreement, however an overdraft limit which you perpetually bust wont help.

Not being on the electoral roll is possibly the biggest single factor which will affect your credit rating. Moving around a lot is not conducive to a good 'score' which kind of suggests how anitquated their cirteria is.

Also, someone else said get a loan and pay it off, again, total @rse. Having lots of settled accounts is no better than having a couple ticking over nicely. If you have loans, keep up with repayments, missing payments is very bad for your rating and will wipe out 6months of up to date payments in a heartbeat.

Don't have lots of credit cards which you don't use and lower your credit card limits if you can.

Bottom line is it is all about liability, if you have 3 cards with a 5 grand limit, you could technically make off with 15 grand overnight before anyone noticed, if you dont need such a large limit, reduce it. It takes about 2 seconds on your card provider's website.

Store cards are viewed with the contempt they deserve, again avoid if at all possible.

For a fiver a month you can be a member of one of the larger credit reference agencies and they will keep you posted of anything untoward and offer advice. Not bad for the price of a few pints.

People assume their financial woes will be ok if they bury their heads, which is clearly not going to happen. It is will worth having a look, which can be painful, but if there are mistakes on there which occasionally happens it is worth sorting out slow time rather than worrying about it when you need a mortgage etc.

Hope this helps

DS

jamestkirk
6th Aug 2006, 15:55
Dirty sanchez

Absolutely right about bank account.

Although an overdraft will show up on your credit record as revolving credit.

Jetgate
6th Aug 2006, 23:32
Unbelievable that people can't answer posts to the point.....

With regards to Credit Ratings and prospective aviation employers;

In the UK - I have never heard of a personal credit rating being checked or affecting an individuals employability. If however one is intrigued to know what it is for personal reasons then you can by contacting any one of these 3 companies
Experian on = https://www.creditexpert.co.uk/UK/index.aspx
Equifax on = https://www.econsumer.equifax.co.uk/consumer/uk/landing.ehtml?start=&
Call Credit on = http://www.callcredit.plc.uk/home

In the US - I have heard that they check EVERYTHING... I mean credit report, Driver & Flying records etc.... No first hand experience of it but have read it in US publications.

Hope the above helps

JG

Turkish777
7th Aug 2006, 09:28
Jetgate is quite right about the US Airlines, they do check everything including your credit score.

scroggs
7th Aug 2006, 10:13
As the original enquirer has not stated in which country their 'friend' is looking for work, all answers so far are no better than background information. We must know under which legislation this 'friend' hopes to work in order to elicit an accurate and truly helpful answer.

Scroggs

d71146
7th Aug 2006, 21:28
Hi,

I am the original enquirer on this one on behalf of my friend who tells me she is looking for employment with a UK carrier so I assume that any references,checks etc would be in line with UK employment practises I could not give any answers as I luckily haven't had the problem still I suppose there is a first time for everything.