PDA

View Full Version : BAe ATP preservation

Tiger_mate
2nd Aug 2006, 20:35
I attended the Liverpool Air Fayre last weekend hopefull of seeing an ATP sat next to the resident Jetstream at the old 'Speke' airport*. However although BAe have donated the airframe to this worthy cause, that provides educational rescources in aviation to Liverpool, the airframe continues to rot at BAe Woodford.

In light of the recent Cosford travesty, it is a shame that willing partners have been let down only by the RAF! Who were to transport the airframe to Liverpool when 'senior management' decided that it would have an expensive (prohibitive) price tag. Seems that the days of 'good training value with a secondary benefit to the community) days are over for our military.

So if anyone knows of any aviation friendly hauliers, I am sure that the Jetstream Club would be glad to hear from them. I have no involvement in this club but support anything that spreads aviation to youngsters, and the simulator that is built into the Jetstream has to be seen to be believed. As far as I am aware, proceeeds from the Air Fayre went to charities not saving up for an ATP.

Rumour has it that a British Eagle Britannia could again sit at its spiritual home which would be marvellous if it happens.

*Had to make do with G-SEXY a taildragger AA5 instead!!

rightbank
2nd Aug 2006, 21:23
Preservation? Ye gods, its only just over 7 years ago that I flew an ATP that only had 80 hours on the airframe. But then I think of the prototype Jetstream 61 dismantled and rotting when I was last up at Prestwick and the latest version of the 146 on display at Manchester Airport, both the latter never having gone into production, then I get truly despondent at the way our aerospace industry has gone.

Yozzer
3rd Aug 2006, 11:00
Agreed that it may be a bit premature to consider an ATP for 'preservation', but think out of the box for a moment:

You and I were brought up in an era when you could pop up to the cockpit during the boring transit to sunny where-ever on our vacation. Those days are over forever, and it is a poorer society for it.

To inspire the aviation minded youth of today into the aircrews of tomorrow, we need to change the way aviation is presented to todays kids. A time expired prototype such as the ATP giving a contemporay aeronautical image in an educational way is an excellent idea. ....and corporate sponsorship must be out there somewhere for a project such as this.

This forum is of course about nostalgia normally associated with 'old' aircraft, but nostalgia is also about the highlights of our childhood, no longer available. I wish the Jetstream Club the best of luck and hope that the ATP makes it to the concrete at Liverpool - Speke, especially as having stayed at the hotel there, it is a living museum, tastefully done.

J31 MAN
3rd Aug 2006, 11:43
All,

The ATP at Woodford isn't in the best condition. One of the cockpit window pillars has been cut and removed with many other parts missing. For a good pic see the latest 'Wrecks and Relics'. How about an ex-Emerald 748? There's non preserved yet over here and it precedes the ATP! The circumstances under which they have become available is unfortunate though.

J31

HZ123
4th Aug 2006, 12:19
Guys; if you are getting withdrawal symtoms there are a number of 748's and ATP's parked at SEN. In the case of the ATP's they start them up evry other week.

wz662
4th Aug 2006, 14:46
Seems strange that there should be a thread discussing preserving an ATP when I have an AVRO 780 (I still think of it as a 748MF but apparently its called an Andover) running its engines outside my office window.

Vick Van Guard
4th Aug 2006, 17:14
Seems strange that there should be a thread discussing preserving an ATP when I have an AVRO 780 (I still think of it as a 748MF but apparently its called an Andover) running its engines outside my office window.

Hope you've got double glazing, I found those 'big' Darts a tad noisy :uhoh:

wz662
4th Aug 2006, 19:58
Speak up please, its not so bad when they go flying as all I tend to get is the tailpipe, but when they just run the engines I get the intakes pointed at the window and those compessors can sure scream.
If its not the Andover I'll get the two speys from one of the 111's filling the office with its fumes. :eek: