PDA

View Full Version : Aussie PPL(A), is conversion req to do JAR/JAA commercial training?

go-apb
2nd Aug 2006, 14:38
First thread, bare with me...

I’m a UK citizen currently living and flight training in Australia. I’ve got on really well with the flight training and associated study and I’m now seriously considering progressing my flight training on my return to the UK.

Will I have to convert my Aussie PPL(A) to enrol on JAA/JAR commercial training, and if so, what's required?

I’m also unsure of the actual commercial path which will ultimately put me in a position of gainful employment should I become suitably qualified. Can anyone enlighten me in layman’s terms?

Browsing the internet I see there are JAR/JAA courses advertised in all corners of the world, does training outside of the UK or EU member state put you at a disadvantage when in a position to apply for jobs?

I’m in a financial position to train full time, in the UK if necessary - are there any prerequisites or assessments recommended before I commit to any commercial training? I’m aware it's a lot more demanding and in-depth than a PPL which most people can achieve.

I’d be grateful for any comments or feedback
Thanks in advance

potkettleblack
2nd Aug 2006, 16:03
Have a gander at the following. It should keep you occupied for a good week and give you a heads up on the ins and outs of JAA land. A search in the private flying forum under conversions will give you all thats necessary if you should decide to convert your ICAO PPL although from what I can remember you don't have to but rather add on a few bits and pieces.

Read this first sticky (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649)

If you want to read the authoritative CAA view on conversions then locate LASORS 2006 (been linked to here on pprune many times) which will lead you through what is required for each licence etc.

neilia
2nd Aug 2006, 16:10
You don't need to convert the licence - to begin commercial training you need an ICAO PPL, which is what you have.
What you might want to do while you're there is some hours building - it's a lot cheaper in Oz than it is here. Unless of course you decide to do a full-time "integrated" course, for which there are no flying pre-requisites.
I'd also point out - in case you're considering it - that it's virtually pointless doing any commercial training in Australia as the conversions to JAA involve almost as much effort as just doing it here from scratch.

scroggs
2nd Aug 2006, 16:16
Your original post has been moved here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2754434&postcount=234). There is no need to post it again. Read the link you have been given, and read the rest of the thread your original post has been attached to.

Scroggs