PDA

View Full Version : All pilots are dishonest crooks

Head Turner
2nd Aug 2006, 08:14
All pilots, according to the EU are to undergo security vetting. This move is strongly backed by the Germans. Presumably, therefore does one understand that there have been some underhand business by German pilots and the rest of EU pilots are being tarred with the same brush! We have to thank the Germans for more b'eurocratic (please accept the pun) legislation and endless paperwork.
To this end I have to admit, not to being a criminal, but whenever possible avoiding German airfields due to their plethoria of rules, paperwork and the cost of fuel and landing fees. Perhaps because of these harsh regulations and taxation the German pilot fraternity have had to indulge in some nefarious business deals. Who knows?
I don't know the reasons behind this latest EU proposal, but it is certainly another stride in the direction of 'Big Brother is Watching You'.
So I have to propose a question.
'Why are pilots identified as security risks'?

spinwing
2nd Aug 2006, 08:38
Mmmmm ......

That tallies very well... the company I work for, I sometimes think, believes all our 98 pilots are not to be trusted at all !!!

:ugh: :ugh:

Brian_Dunnigan
2nd Aug 2006, 08:44
They're jealous that we're employed...after all, there's millions of them in Germany that are not:hmm:

Teefor Gage
2nd Aug 2006, 09:35
'Why are pilots identified as security risks'?

Have you forgotten 9/11 so quickly?

Flying Pencil
2nd Aug 2006, 12:22
TG,

Can you tell me what would of been different about 9/11 if all the pilots involved been security checked???

FP

Sailor Vee
2nd Aug 2006, 12:58
TG, have to agree with the Pencil here, it was the terrorists that posed the security problem and NOT the operating crew.

Just how did the terrs manage to pass ground security checks with box-cutters (aka 'Stanley Knives' with plastic bodies)?

Will this also apply to those of the Fraternity who are ex Forces and have been security vetted before?

Teefor Gage
2nd Aug 2006, 13:23
Flying Pencil / Sailor Vee

OK, so maybe I'm a bit off mark, as it wasn't the operating crews. But, didn't the terrs train as pilots somewhere? Maybe vetting at this stage could help?

A more directly related incident to this thread would be the Royal Air Maroc flight a number of years ago.

Anyway, let's not hijack this thread any further......?

Head Turner
2nd Aug 2006, 13:45
It is believed by AOPA that the security vetting would not have identified the pilots of 9/11. The 7/7 attacks in London were carried out by people with exemplary records who would have sailed through any vetting process.

So how would your potential student react to the requirement of security vetting even before he/she stepped into an aircraft. Having to undergo a vetting is hardly likely to encourage a step into this career. Who will pay for this?

Gomer Pylot
2nd Aug 2006, 13:55
9/11! 9/11! 9/11! 9/11! 9/11! 9/11! 9/11! 9/11! 9/11! 9/11! 9/11! 9/11!

Scream that loudly enough, often enough, and you can get whatever you want done. It has worked for Bush so far, but be careful, the terror of the phrase may be abating somewhat. So far, though, in the US, pilots, librarians, school teachers, unfriendly politicians, newspaper reporters, and especially brown immigrants are security risks, and the list grows daily. An external threat is always essential.

Sailor Vee
2nd Aug 2006, 17:13
didn't the terrs train as pilotsFrom the articles I've read, the Flight Schools admitted that the guys wanted 'a few lessons in handling, they weren't interested in how to take-off or land', maybe that will be a clue in the future!

Not attempting to hi-jack the thread, but security vetting of current aircrew is hardly likely to find any threats, maybe a few broken marriages, debt problems etc. As HT puts it, who pays for the vetting, and how will potential pilots feel about this? Plus, what level of vetting is involved?

Camp Freddie
2nd Aug 2006, 19:07
Hey Mr Head Turner,

All pilots, according to the EU are to undergo security vetting. This move is strongly backed by the Germans.

what is the source for this information, please ?

regards

CF

Gaseous
2nd Aug 2006, 20:16
Hi CF, Sorry to answer for head turner but there is an article in this months AOPA magazine titled 'presumed guilty - EU plans pilot vetting' which says basically whats written above.The AOPAs position is that the proposal is misconceived and betrays a lack of understanding of the realities of aviation. They are mounting an international campaign to try to kill off the proposal.

Having already been effectively grounded for the duration of the U.S. Secretary of State's visit to my local area I would suggest that its already happened for aircraft owners. Its a logical extension to extend it to all pilots.

As an owner, the security forces know who you are and where you live. If you are perceived any sort of a threat expect a knock on the door.

Outrageous.

DaveW
2nd Aug 2006, 20:28
what is the source for this information, please ?

CF, here's a link to the relevant post (http://www.joinaopa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65) on the AOPA UK website.

SASless
2nd Aug 2006, 20:45
Two incidents spring to mind over the years....EgyptAir 880 and FedEX....both were pilots and both were suicidal. One may have had Terrorist links (not proven however) and the other was off-duty and attacked the crew with a fireax. One airliner down with a load of passengers and one very shook up FedEx airplane and crew.

I would suggest a background check would probably not uncovered the two....although a routine followup check might have surfaced some red flags.

Altogether....a huge waste of time, money, and resources.