PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do?

PossableFI
1st Aug 2006, 21:51
Hello There,

I'm 16, and currently in my school holidays after completeing my GCSEs in June, and I'm trying to work out what I should do with my life. I am a quite clever person, but I've never realy applied myself at school, I just get bored, and loose all interest. If I correct I havn't done too well with my GCSEs, and I'm sure that I could have done better if I'd tried a bit harder. My parents are expecting me to get quite good results and go to sixth form, and then to uni, and this is something that I'm realy not very keen on doing, as it would probably mean studying a subject that I'm not very interested in as I can't do want I want due to my GCSE results. Another thing I could do is try and re-take some of my GCSEs, to try and be able to do something I might be slightly more interested in. The final option I have is to leave school now, and go and get a job and get my PPL, and then go on to get my FI rateing, now I know that being an FI is a realy cr*p paying job, but I've never realy wanted to make lots of money and own a big house. The only thing I've every realy wanted to do is fly. Flying/aviation is the only thing I've ever realy been interested in, whenever a light aircraft flys over I instantly feel happy, and when I'm around aircraft on the groud it's a great feeling, I love the things! However, my parents are realy expecting me to do well, and I just don't know how to tell them I don't want to contiue my education any further, I think the would be quite ashamed and almost dis-own me. But flying and being a flying instructor is my dream!

What do you think I should do/What would you do?

PS: I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes, and the fact that it jumps around a bit and isn't all in the right order, but I just type it as I thought of it.

Regards, Matt

Slavedriver
1st Aug 2006, 23:35
THE PANDA SAYS NO

:rolleyes:

PossableFI
1st Aug 2006, 23:39
What you on about!?

Felix Saddler
2nd Aug 2006, 00:19
Matt,

I have just finished my AS-levels and am going on to finish my A-levels. The best advice i can give you my friend is not to pack in your education until, at least, you have finished your A-levels! Without them you will always be overshadowed by many, even if you are better at what you do.

Here are a few enquires i have had to ask along the way, as i was like you, not completely sure what to do!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226029

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226094

These two threads were a great help to me and helped me keep focus on what was really important and what i really needed to do!

Also Matt, when posting on PPrune, I would advise checking over what you have written I.e, Grammar, spelling, etc, as there are alot of people on here that will hammer you into the ground for it and think nothing of you. Unfortunately I found this out the hard way, nevertheless i was able to get back on track soon enough. If you read this thread it will enlighten you not to tread the deadly path of the Grammar Nazi's!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=237149

So please be careful!

As to your ambition to become a qualified Flight Instructor i think you should think more into it and do the math that is associated with your training. You will find that it is very difficult to get by on just a FI salary your whole life forgetting about funding your training. Here is a link to one guys route to the holding pools, here it will consider the accumulative cost up to a FI rating.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236977&highlight=modular

And another Thread - About the finacial situation of a few QFI's!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231365

And the grand finale - The Ultimate Thread!!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649

To sum this informative thread up, Go on to do your A-Levels whilst getting a part time job to pay for your PPL and never give up! If you want anymore info feel free to PM me, I would love to help!!

Best of Luck

Felix :D

Edited: to add a bit more info!!

5dayz
2nd Aug 2006, 22:19
In addition to the valid points raised by jstflyin and felix, as a flight instructor I would say that its important to remain focused throughout any program of flight instruction that you may decide to undertake. Pilot training can be a bit of a roller coaster ride for most, with high points and low..

Also whilst the FI position isnt the best paying job in aviation and not the most glamorous, it can be rewarding in many other ways,

1) In a busy school you can get lots of flight experience.. (100hrs/Month)
2) Your people and communication skills will improve significantly..
3) There is a great deal of reward in seeing someone learn from your tuition..
4) Your piloting skills will improve over the average commercial pilot -- drastically..
5) When it comes to taking checkrides for charter/airline employment, you will be better placed than most to pass any sim check or aural quizzing..

In any case, good luck with your GCSE results, and whatever descision you decide to take..

5Dayz:ok:

redsnail
2nd Aug 2006, 23:49
You're 16 which is fine. Nothing wrong with that age except time appears to go too slowly and you have no money. (No different to 40 except time goes very quickly!!)

While school may bore you to tears I'd really seriously think about staying on or at least applying yourself to get the best grades you can. At the moment it may not seem relevant but in 2 years time you'll be pleased you have got them. You don't need a degree to fly so don't worry about uni per se. However, decent GCSEs and a couple of A levels will help you in the long run.

At the moment you say that you're not interested in money or a big house. To be brutally honest, you'll be flat out buying a mid sized house on a jet captains wage in the SE of England so the big house thing is safe.... However, there will become a time when you'll want a decent livable wage. If you crack a position as a full time instructor for the "big" flying schools then you'll probably earn a civilised pay but if you don't, you'll be flat out paying rent. At 16, who cares? At 26, hey, life's great-ish. At 36? You'll really care.

Flying isn't about zooming around the big sky going "weeeeeeeee". It is a highly disciplined occupation that relies heavily on SOPs, rules and the following of them. I doubt there's a more scrutinised and checked industry.

Any way, I like it. Nothing wrong with dreaming, but get your foundations solid.

Felix Saddler
3rd Aug 2006, 01:17
Matt, you have masses of invaluable advice going here, use It judiciously, for now your life is in your own hands! Or so to speak!

Best of luck Matey!

FS :D

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Aug 2006, 07:42
I'd plan on gaining good A level and GCSE results - C grade or better. The process should at least teach you how to study. Because IF you are ever to become a professional pilot you will have to pass the ATPL exams which follow a long period of classroom study featuring very heavy books with long words, small typeface and few pictures. You will have to sit two very large exams covering a wide range of material of differing nature.

If you have only a poor education to GCSE level you will struggle in the most extreme fashion. At the moment your standard of written English suggests that you have a poor educational standard for a 16 year old. I'm not sorry to say that. It is the only judgement I can make based on the information provided.

So you will have to overcome your boredom and get motivated.

I attended a very bog standard comprehensive and three of my classmates have done or are doing >4yr prison sentences for either violent or drug crime. But I wanted to join the RAF and I knew that you HAD to have A's and B's to stand a chance on even the application form. My parents left school at 15 and 16 and my school was graffiti ridden and most of the pupils were marking time until they could leave to work back on the farm. But by means of pure aspiration to fly phantoms/tornados/hawks/anything I got AAAABBBC for GCSE and ABB for A level.

So the lesson is that you have to harness your desire to be a pilot and use that force to propel you to academic success. You won't need university so it would be as well to talk to your mum and dad now. Tell them you want to fly professionaly and explain how you want to re-approach your education with renewed vigour as a result.

I promise you that they will not feel let down by you. They will probably feel pleased that their 16yr old has a sense of direction and ambition. They may well feel sceptical about your chances but that is reasonable and sensible.

Good luck, you are younger than you realise and you have the very great luxury of having many years in which to pursue your goal.

captwannabe
3rd Aug 2006, 08:08
LISTEN TO THE PANDA. At least do A Levels. Priorities change, and someday you will want to make good money.

Keep it straight
4th Aug 2006, 09:06
And learn a trade!!!!!!!!!!
simply for if you are 40 and you do lose your medical for whatever reason. at least you have something to fall back on rather than go flippn hamburgers at mc donalds

captwannabe
4th Aug 2006, 10:37
Learning a trade is good advice. Many degrees will possibly be outdated years from now, when new methods/technologies/regulations etc. are developed.

Serious question: Would you get a job 20 years from now with an engineering degree?

BlueRobin
4th Aug 2006, 10:43
I think you got better advice on the other forum ;)

Keep it straight
4th Aug 2006, 11:35
capt wannebe, personaly i think that some trades will always be there even in 100 years. like builders or carpenters, plumbers and sparkies. yes technologie will change. but i think the basic principles will stay. people will still build houses posibly from bricks and concrete and wood. etc.
and if one learned a trade now it would be easier to fall back on in 20 years say, than to have to learn one in 20 years time.
leaving school wen 16 to persue a career in flying? i don't know. Unless you have a real big drive to achieve your dreams.
it can be done. the guy who got me ready for my cpl flighttest was than 21 and he started when he was 17. and got his 1st ailine job in the same year i did my cpl. by shear hard work. and i admire him for that. but his main concern is that one day he may lose his medical or fail his sim chek. and than what? maybe aply to the airline as a hostie?