PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for that Mike

TWOL8
1st Aug 2006, 19:03
Clearly the RAF and Navy are not working hard enough as far as Gen Sir Mike Jackson is concerned. On the subject of a role for British troops in any future Lebanon peacekeeping force he has said he doubted it would be "sensible" to offer troops to such a force, but suggested it would be easier to supply air or maritime forces.
Thanks for that Mike - cos we're just not busy enough - I was wondering where to go for Xmas this year, problem solved.:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

airborne_artist
1st Aug 2006, 19:37
If he gives HM Forces a broomstick they could stick it up thair @rse and sweep the floor at the same time :ugh:

Saves having to spend money on contract cleaners :ok: :E

Pontius Navigator
1st Aug 2006, 21:13
as RAF 3 and 4* seem to come back as plt offs perhaps the Army might like to start circular careers too. When you reach the top at age 60 you go round again and start a a platoon plod in some sand pit.

How about that for fun?

serf
1st Aug 2006, 21:44
Crabs on the ground as peacekeepers ?

Climebear
1st Aug 2006, 21:48
Crabs on the ground as peacekeepers ?

Why not (apart from the fact that we're quiet busy)? Crabs (as you put it) have done the job before (myself included) and some are doing it right now alongside colleagues from the Army and the Naval Service.

TBSG
1st Aug 2006, 22:18
I guess certain individuals in the light blue and dark blue bretheren believe that right now they are busier than the green jobs....

If we accept that the SH force are part of the Army (as with CHF) - they do after all belong to JHC and therefore Land Command - then the remainder of the oldest and youngest services are not really doing much are they? AT force also excepted here. Please don't compare guarding an airbase with infantry patrolling duties in Basrah or Helmand.

Which would allow a destroyer or a frigate to poise menacingly off the Eastern Mediterannean coast, alongside a fighter or two from Strike Command.

Not exactly taxing, is it, compared to patrolling the Taliban heartland. I think Jacko has a fair point. I don't think the Army has anyone left.

Mad_Mark
1st Aug 2006, 22:21
...then the remainder of the oldest and youngest services are not really doing much are they? AT force also excepted here.

KNOB :mad: :ugh: :mad:

microlight AV8R
1st Aug 2006, 22:29
I think Jacko has a fair point. I don't think the Army has anyone left.

I suspect Jacko may have political aspirations. His abounding enthusiasm for the last reduction of army manpower seemed to please his masters.

TBSG
1st Aug 2006, 22:39
KNOB :mad: :ugh: :mad:

Thanks for that intelligent response.

cornwallis
1st Aug 2006, 23:07
I saw in a newspaper recently that our top general had time to go to a wedding of two of TBs closest friends/advisers.An unusual invitation surely!!!

Lafyar Cokov
2nd Aug 2006, 00:35
If we accept that the SH force are part of the Army (as with CHF) - they do after all belong to JHC and therefore Land Command

Ok - great - thanks

Last time I looked it still said RAF in the middle of my wings! We may come under their budget, command or whatever - but we are NOT f*****g Army!

serf
2nd Aug 2006, 07:02
No, but you should be.

How much of the RAF effort is expended on supporting the shorter tours that the RAF conduct compared to the Army.

If tour lengths were the same, then surely less AT would be required to move people at less frequent intervals?

Some parts of the SH fleet seem to do more 'training' than anything else.

BootFlap
2nd Aug 2006, 08:41
I think you will also find that a large portion of the RAF Harrier Force is deployed in the 'stan; also GR4s in the 'raq. And that is not for a single short tour, it a repeat commitment. So in fact it would be fair to say that all the Services are pretty well committed.

Training Risky
2nd Aug 2006, 08:58
Oh serf, how amusing to read your uninformed gobsh!te views!

If you had any idea of how stretched the SH force is in various theatres you would eat your words, say sorry and go back to polishing your boots (Army Cadets is it?)

Same for the Nimrod force. There may not be a potent submarine threat to the UK any more (for which they may get some banter) but they know how to redeploy themselves into other roles in operational theatres (nuff said there I think).

And as for your opinions on tour lengths. How would you like a knackered Harrier pilot stacking into the deck while attempting to support you with a bit of CAS?

KKKKKKKKNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!

TBSG
2nd Aug 2006, 09:24
I think you will also find that a large portion of the RAF Harrier Force is deployed in the 'stan; also GR4s in the 'raq. And that is not for a single short tour, it a repeat commitment. So in fact it would be fair to say that all the Services are pretty well committed.

What percentage of the Harrier Force is 8 aircraft, exactly? And how many of the Joint Harrier Force are from the RN?

And I am certain that there are no GR4s in the Gulf.

So, other than RN and RAF Harriers, SH and AT, what exactly is the pointy end of the RAF doing?

Green Flash
2nd Aug 2006, 09:52
Is it just me, or are there some countries about this world whose time has come to stand up and be counted? Tis my contention that many NATO and ex Warsaw pact countries were happy to ride into battle on the coat-tails of the senior partners but now they are on thier own in the big bad world it's all suddenly a bit too difficult. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick completely and everyone is just as deep in the brown stuff we are?:(

500days2do
2nd Aug 2006, 09:52
Perhaps a bit of wargaming in the states...?

Lots of gardening leave...

Planning how they can nadger 95% of the airforce budget in the next round...

Bugger all really...but hey they'll tell you they are worth every penny..

W:mad: :mad: kers...

5d2d

fabs
2nd Aug 2006, 10:11
Originally Posted by TBSG
KNOB :ugh:

BootFlap
2nd Aug 2006, 10:16
fabs,

you beat me to it!

TBSG,

I assume you realise that Qatar counts as the Gulf?

Twonston Pickle
2nd Aug 2006, 12:01
Why do the Army have such a large presence in Germany.

What's with all the poncing about at Horseguards?

With the end of Op Corporate, what will the Army do now?

I think that there are a few assets left in the Army doing little (other than the same infantry battalions, such as 1LI) to contribute.

See, I can do ill-informed comments too.

Defend the points above and, while you're at it, you might want to research the RAF commitment to ops. I think you'll find that it's exactly the same percentage as the other 2 services. As for 4 month tours: we are happy; there is a minute impact on AT; more people take their turn; more time with families; finally, less PODL and, therefore more productive (individually) OOA and in UK.

Ignorance is indeed bliss.

foldingwings
2nd Aug 2006, 12:07
Thanks for that intelligent response.

More intelligent than your previous offering, I would suggest.

Herewith a very recent quote from a Taleban Warlord in Helmand Province: "If it was not for the presence of Air Power, the British Army would all be dead in their foxholes!"

Clearly your enemy has a better understanding of military doctrine than you do!

KNOB:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

And that goes for all the other KNOBs on here who are driven by their devotion to wearing khaki rather than understanding the concept of Jointery. Air Power is inherently JOINT, unlike the British Army which has no concept unless they mean joined at the hip!

KNOBs, all of them!

Back to my Morangie and it's just gone 1300!

FW

foldingwings
2nd Aug 2006, 12:12
what will the Army do now?

Just before I get a refill!

They send a vast number of majors a year to their ICSC at Shrivenham; a course which lasts as long as ACSC, fer Christ's sake! Plenty of slack there for culling!

FW

Rigchick
2nd Aug 2006, 12:29
Originally Posted by TBSG

And would you like to tell that to my husband and his Sqn, of whom most will be spending the festive season away from home in the desert!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yes I am p*!sed!

Climebear
2nd Aug 2006, 12:48
[QUOTE=TBSG]
QUOTE]

Are you going to tell the MOD that their Defence Fact Sheet Detailing UK Forces on Op TELIC is wrong.
Defence Fact Sheet Detailing UK Forces on Op TELIC Scroll to the bottom

TBSG
2nd Aug 2006, 14:42
I stand corrected on the GR4s and am happy to admit it. Not that I ever saw them when I was flying in, around and between Basrah and Al-Amarah.

However, my original gentle dig at parts of the RAF seems to have hit a few raw nerves. I stand by my point, as someone who in the last 2 years has spent more nights away from home than in it, that the FJ world is not as busy or as deployed as the Army in general, the SH forces, the AT force....

So this was not a dig at the RAF in general, there is enough of that around this forum at the best of times. I do always laugh on being lectured on jointery by the light blue - for whom joint usually = Air Power.

Climebear
2nd Aug 2006, 15:28
I stand corrected on the GR4s and am happy to admit it. Not that I ever saw them when I was flying in, around and between Basrah and Al-Amarah.
However, my original gentle dig at parts of the RAF seems to have hit a few raw nerves. I stand by my point, as someone who in the last 2 years has spent more nights away from home than in it, that the FJ world is not as busy or as deployed as the Army in general, the SH forces, the AT force....
So this was not a dig at the RAF in general, there is enough of that around this forum at the best of times. I do always laugh on being lectured on jointery by the light blue - for whom joint usually = Air Power.

Perhaps you never saw any GR4s because they don't just operated in/over the MND(SE) AOR. These ac support coalition forces they are directed to where the coalition need is greatest.

As for not all elements of the RAF are as busy as others - well this is true of elements all Services (not much call for MRLS in current ops). Plus some elements (including FJ) have mil ops to conduct closer to home.

Still back to work in the great purple cave...

fabs
2nd Aug 2006, 15:53
It's not just the army at Al Amarah fella. And when I was at Abu Naji and nearby, I spoke to the GR4s a number of times as well as the AT and SH. Just because YOU didn't SEE the pointys (US and UK) doesn't mean they weren't there!

Training Risky
2nd Aug 2006, 16:41

I am temporarily resident at the big Purple Learning Centre in Swindonshire, and we have been discussing this exact attitude displayed by the Army. ie: they don't know, or even give a t0ss, about air power unless it's directly over their heads or taking them home.

'Joint' begins with 'A' and ends in 'rmy' :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Jimlad1
2nd Aug 2006, 16:58
I saw the GR4's plenty of times, usually when they were stuck on the runway after breaking down:E

Seriously though, what CGS meant to say was that it is easier to redeploy a frigate stuck in the med on patrol to cover Lebanon than it is to provide a deployed force.

Of course if one wanted to be a stirrer you could have the debate held in my (purple) office today. Along the lines of RAF has 4 F3's down South, 6 Harriers in the Stan and * (number not known but not high) in Qatar. Why exactly do we need upwards of 250 Tornados and 80 harriers again? :ok:

serf
2nd Aug 2006, 17:56
Lots of aircraft according to the RAF website (last updated Apr 21 2006 2:22pm)

220 FJ

100 SH

What are they all doing?

skaterboi
2nd Aug 2006, 18:33
Lots of aircraft according to the RAF website (last updated Apr 21 2006 2:22pm)
220 FJ
100 SH
What are they all doing?

I think you'll find most are either deployed or being fixed in the sheds back here. There's not many left for UK based training, especially at our secret Wiltshire AT aerodrome.

A2QFI
2nd Aug 2006, 18:46
125,000 soldiers + 500,000 reservists
3650 tanks
10400 APCs
620 SP guns
400+ aircraft including
200 F15 and F16
175 GA AIRCRAFT
95 attack helicopters
Mind you I bet they pay more of the GDP on defence than we do + loads of freebies or cheapies from GWB.

goldcup
2nd Aug 2006, 18:46
TBSG- pretty sure that the GR4s are included in the ATO every time they launch. Don't you read it before you go flying in the sandpit? Or does the British Army have its own special ATO?

UnderPowered
2nd Aug 2006, 19:43
Recce? CAS? Air Presence? IN.

serf
2nd Aug 2006, 19:49
Looks like the Army and RN also contribute to Air Power, according to the definition on the RAF website............

Jimlad1
2nd Aug 2006, 20:00
Perhaps the Pongos views are jaded as the only Air assets they see tend to be the non glamorous, non sexy and utterly essential stuff like A/T and C130's. They also suffer when it breaks down, and wonder why it is that the RAF is getting 232 shiny new Typhoons when it can't keep more than 15 of its predecessors deployed at once, and when it can't afford to fund the AT replacement?

Not that I've wasted days of my life suffering at the hands of the movers in the Middle East of course...:E

TBSG
2nd Aug 2006, 20:14
I am temporarily resident at the big Purple Learning Centre in Swindonshire, and we have been discussing this exact attitude displayed by the Army. ie: they don't know, or even give a t0ss, about air power unless it's directly over their heads or taking them home.
'Joint' begins with 'A' and ends in 'rmy' :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

If you are Joe Grunt then that is exactly where you want your air power - overhead and giving the bad guys the good news. Which is why AH and GR7 are doing so well for the blokes in the 'Stan. The Army has a limited view at the lower levels for a very good reason - they are the ones with the bayonets, they are the ones being SVBIED'd all the time. They want help getting out of the sh1t.

One has to ask from the green viewpoint - what exactly will 232 Typhoon bring? THIS IS A RHETORICAL QUESTION AND NOT DESIGNED TO DISAPPEAR DOWN A RABBIT HOLE OFTEN VISITED IN THIS FORUM!

Anyway, anyone can list the roles of Air Power from the doctrinal publications. No-one has actually yet agreed (or stated) what the pointy ones are doing - less 8 GR7 in AFG, F3 in FI and some GR4a in Qatar. How about the other 200?

Goldcup - any time we wanted FJ presence over Al Amarah, the USAF came along. Don't know why them and not RAF. Maybe that was only when I was there.

Jobza Guddun
2nd Aug 2006, 22:59
Goldcup - any time we wanted FJ presence over Al Amarah, the USAF came along. Don't know why them and not RAF. Maybe that was only when I was there.[/QUOTE]

Probably because the USAF has a darn sight more assets based nearer to Al Amarah than 6 GR4s based in Qatar, which don't have a 2 hour transit each way. Not to mention their good number of Al Udeid based stuff which does.

Then you have the USMC CAS based at Al Asad IINM?

Plus a CVN in the Arabian Gulf with around 48 F/A-18s on board.

I think I can see why you got US rather than RAF....:ugh:

Blacksheep
3rd Aug 2006, 05:01
66 years on and the argument is still the same.

Here's the Allies first true "Joint Operation" - Operation Dynamo or 'Dunkirk' as it more commonly known...
Subjected to an utterly exhausting and terrifying experience, our soldiers and sailors returned home with a single question on their lips—'Where was the R.A.F.?' and ...rather it told them that they could have held the enemy on the ground if only the Royal Air Force had played its part in the air.
In fact RAF squadrons supporting Operation Dynamo had carried out 171 reconnaissance, 651 bombing, and 2,739 fighter sorties and had suffered 177 aircraft destroyed or seriously damaged including 107 fighters and 87 pilots, leaving Fighter Command with just 331 serviceable fighters to defend the homeland.

What's Dunkirk got to do with it? Well, "Just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they're not there."

Per Ardua Ad Astra. With emphasis on the Ardua.

Spugford
3rd Aug 2006, 09:59
[/qoute] Probably because the USAF has a darn sight more assets based nearer to Al Amarah than 6 GR4s based in Qatar, which don't have a 2 hour transit each way. Not to mention their good number of Al Udeid based stuff which does.
Then you have the USMC CAS based at Al Asad IINM?
Plus a CVN in the Arabian Gulf with around 48 F/A-18s on board.
I think I can see why you got US rather than RAF....:ugh:[/QUOTE]

The emphasis above should actually be on the difference in numbers of ac deployed US v RAF, as the GR4s (not GR4as) are covering the whole area, regardless of transit time.

Lazer-Hound
3rd Aug 2006, 10:30
During the invasion phase o9f OIF the RAF provided just six percent of total coalition sorties (the RAAF provided 2%) and dropped/launched 3% of munitions. So you're about ten times more liekly to see a US aircraft than an RAF one.

stuk
3rd Aug 2006, 19:30
I haven't posted many times despite viewing for many, many months and I always enjoy reading the stories and banter on the site as I now relax in my back garden sipping the odd G and T after retiring from over 30 yrs of flying in Betty's aeroplanes. I had just read in my paper of the loss of 2nd Lt Johnson, Capt Eida, L/Cpl Ross and Cpl Cornish who were very brave and I've no doubt intelligent young men who are actually younger than my sons and daughters. I then read the Crass, Ignorant and thoroughly Shameful comment about soldiers intelligence from "COULD BE THE LAST" along with equally stupid comments about the Army from others on the site. Well I haven't bothered to read all the profiles but if that's the standard of "Banter" in the RAF then I'm amazed

rudekid
3rd Aug 2006, 20:17
If you are Joe Grunt then that is exactly where you want your air power - overhead and giving the bad guys the good news. Which is why AH and GR7 are doing so well for the blokes in the 'Stan. The Army has a limited view at the lower levels for a very good reason - they are the ones with the bayonets, they are the ones being SVBIED'd all the time. They want help getting out of the sh1t.
One has to ask from the green viewpoint - what exactly will 232 Typhoon bring? THIS IS A RHETORICAL QUESTION AND NOT DESIGNED TO DISAPPEAR DOWN A RABBIT HOLE OFTEN VISITED IN THIS FORUM!
Anyway, anyone can list the roles of Air Power from the doctrinal publications. No-one has actually yet agreed (or stated) what the pointy ones are doing - less 8 GR7 in AFG, F3 in FI and some GR4a in Qatar. How about the other 200?
Goldcup - any time we wanted FJ presence over Al Amarah, the USAF came along. Don't know why them and not RAF. Maybe that was only when I was there.

Couldn't agree more! Our problems stem from our complete inability to deploy a usefully sized fast jet component to either Iraq or Afghanistan, and our delivery of enough AT and SH to carry out effective tasking:

GR7/9- Doing a great job with very limited assets and people, knackered pilots, poor retention (lots leaving)

F3- Like it or not it's a source of bemusement for the Army. I'm sure it's very capable, but right now it's redundant! F3 mates don't take this as a dig at you.

GR4- Why so few in the 'Deid?

Jaguar- Days to do... sadly.

Eurofighter- Brilliant, but only available at airshows.

Can we deploy more assets? Yes, but only if someone is willing to cough up a lot of extra money.

So what does the army see? A load of battered, uncomfortable AT various, usually late, getting them home to their loved ones. An air interface (movers) who predominantly don't care a toss for the throughput of passengers. A shortfall in SH hours to move vital kit around theatre in a bunch of battered uncomfortable SH various, usually late...etc. Not enough CAS on occasion when required (no slight intended on the GR mates)

It's all about effect. We don't deliver enough. Simple.

Until our fast-jet centric Lords and Masters (and some sycophantic acoloytes) learn that we need to spend some money on the 2 elements of our service which have been constantly delivering effect for 20 years, namely SH and AT, we'll never change. Two hundred Typhoons are all very well for fighting an enemy in a war we MAY fight in 20 years time (assuming Typhoo has a capability by then) but right now, WE are fighting two real wars. And, sadly, by and large, we aren't delivering the level of support we should be.

Politics? Money? Poor leadership? Who's standing up to be counted at the top levels?

As someone in a dark hole once said "Lots. And none at all."

Could be the last?
3rd Aug 2006, 22:24
STUK

Stick to your G n Ts..........

Crass, Ignorant and shameful tut tut tut. I think you may have been confused by the heat or the GnT. But the reading age is a fact and how you can merge that with the death of 4 very brave individuals is shameful on your part.

:=

Pontius Navigator
4th Aug 2006, 05:57
If we accept that the SH force are part of the Army (as with CHF) - they do after all belong to JHC and therefore Land Command -.

I admit to being confused by all these new fangled organisations but I thought JHC was a JOINT and not an ARMY Command. Certainly I saw in a JSP yesterday that helicopters with crew-served weapons were the responsibility of JHC whereas helicopters with integrated weapons were the responsibility of LAND.

As an aside, maybe pilot's wings should be issued with a black velcro circle. On graduation a small patch with the relevant Service would be applied. Once operational it would be changed to STC PTC FAA etc :}

Pontius Navigator
4th Aug 2006, 06:50
What percentage of the Harrier Force is 8 aircraft, exactly? And how many of the Joint Harrier Force are from the RN?
So, other than RN and RAF Harriers, SH and AT, what exactly is the pointy end of the RAF doing?

Interesting questions here TBSG and I am pleased to note that no one has answered them:cool:

Leo Sayer
4th Aug 2006, 13:21
Gentlmen I must say that the fact that so many of you are fighting a single service arguement is shameful.
We all should all know that the ground troops rely heavily on air power to give them the protection they deserve, the navy requires air power of a degree to deploy on ops as demonstrated with the Falklands to deploy troops, and the RAF cannot hold ground in any great quantity like the army(Withstanding the fine job of the RAF Regt).
Therefore we should all be able to accept the limitations our own service and channel our energies into educating the members of the other services, so that we can work for the benefit of the other services.
With regards to the matter of people being overstretched and available personnel for deployments, the fact is that all three services are feeling the pressure of our own inability to say no, and suffering from the age old can do attitude. Thankfully it is coming to the attention of the wider public that sooner or later the donkey is going to stop and we will not be able to dig our PM out of scrapes.
I personnally feel that the RAF is slightly overmanned in that in my experience where the Army and RN have had a certain number of people to do a job the RAF has had considerably more e.g. the harrier operated by a small crew off the back of a ship compared to a land based squadron. Now who has it right? The RAF I'm sure, but the fact is we all have to tighten our belts and we are no longer able to afford ourselves the luxury of one man doing a specific task, we all need to become multifaceted.

I reccomend to you all a book called "Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs" by Lewis Page. Although to be viewed with some sceptecism it provides food for thought, about the way that all three services are stuck in fighting the cold war and each other for that matter.
Until we stop the infighting and become truely joint and defend ourselves against our political masters no one will win.
Oh and by the way I am Army!

Compressorstall
4th Aug 2006, 14:07
Leo
Perhaps it is also that we have existed through a lengthy period of cuts and more cuts that everyone feels that they have to single-handedly justify their existence. Whilst you feel that the RAF is overmanned, there are definitely areas of the Army that could have the same charge levelled at them. 'Jointery' seems to bring with it huge degrees of infighting when the reality is quite clear - air will get you to battle and support you in it, however the Army suffers from not being able to express what they want based on what the RAF can actually provide. It's not all bad and we have some immensely capable people, but we have to stop being so vain and recognise where we all fit in. And before you ask, I work in a Joint environment, so I have plenty of opportunity to observe both sides

TBSG
4th Aug 2006, 20:13
I admit to being confused by all these new fangled organisations but I thought JHC was a JOINT and not an ARMY Command. Certainly I saw in a JSP yesterday that helicopters with crew-served weapons were the responsibility of JHC whereas helicopters with integrated weapons were the responsibility of LAND.

Pontius,

JHC is indeed a joint organisation, but it belongs to the LAND TLB, in that it sits under the Army 4* for C2 (and therefore budgetary) considerations.

Therefore all 'green' (CHF, RAF SH and AAC) helicopters come under operational command of HQ LAND, although each service retains full command over its people - but that is another entirely different can of worms.

TBSG

Pontius Navigator
4th Aug 2006, 20:42
. . . each service retains full command over its people - but that is another entirely different can of worms.
TBSG

TBSG, after my last post, thanks for the reply. I agree about the quote above. I have difficulty every day wondering what to wear, grey, green or blue. With the weather last week I was considering KD but settled for a variation of grey. I am on the look out for a pair of purple pyjamas. Naturally I would wear a blue shirt with the purple bottoms.

Joke: Was asked for a copy of my TORs. Last TORs were from 'the smiling knife' at Strike, but he retired 4 years ago.

As long as Betty keeps signing the cheques 'Who cares who pays?'

Mad_Mark
5th Aug 2006, 06:18

Well it's a good job that some guys in that area saw them...
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/RafTornadosHelpOutUkTroopsInSouthernIraq.htm

MadMark!!! :mad:

serf
5th Aug 2006, 08:29
No one is doubting their contribution, it is the constant whining about the perceived overstretch when clearly there are others in the armed forces who are really stretched.

Over 200 FJ according to the RAF website.

Over 100 SH according to the RAF website.

Lots of C130

Comp Charlie
5th Aug 2006, 08:34
Gentlmen I must say that the fact that so many of you are fighting a single service arguement is shameful.
We all should all know that the ground troops rely heavily on air power to give them the protection they deserve, the navy requires air power of a degree to deploy on ops as demonstrated with the Falklands to deploy troops, and the RAF cannot hold ground in any great quantity like the army(Withstanding the fine job of the RAF Regt).
Therefore we should all be able to accept the limitations our own service and channel our energies into educating the members of the other services, so that we can work for the benefit of the other services.
With regards to the matter of people being overstretched and available personnel for deployments, the fact is that all three services are feeling the pressure of our own inability to say no, and suffering from the age old can do attitude. Thankfully it is coming to the attention of the wider public that sooner or later the donkey is going to stop and we will not be able to dig our PM out of scrapes.
I personnally feel that the RAF is slightly overmanned in that in my experience where the Army and RN have had a certain number of people to do a job the RAF has had considerably more e.g. the harrier operated by a small crew off the back of a ship compared to a land based squadron. Now who has it right? The RAF I'm sure, but the fact is we all have to tighten our belts and we are no longer able to afford ourselves the luxury of one man doing a specific task, we all need to become multifaceted.

I reccomend to you all a book called "Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs" by Lewis Page. Although to be viewed with some sceptecism it provides food for thought, about the way that all three services are stuck in fighting the cold war and each other for that matter.
Until we stop the infighting and become truely joint and defend ourselves against our political masters no one will win.

I guessed!! :p

Only teasing...

CC

serf
12th Aug 2006, 16:13
OK,having done a bit of research and spoken to some 'horses mouths' it would seem that some elements of the SH fleet are quite stretched.

Sorry

The Helpful Stacker
12th Aug 2006, 17:07
Op Corporate (Falklands War)?

Op Banner perhaps?

The Helpful Stacker
12th Aug 2006, 17:11
OK,having done a bit of research and spoken to some 'horses mouths' it would seem that some elements of the SH fleet are quite stretched.
Sorry

Some elements?

Can you tell me which elements aren't so that I can ask for a posting to them?

Puma's are currently still playing silly buggers in sandy places, as are Merlins and Chinooks (in many sandy places).

What are TWA's Lynx and Gazelle's doing at the moment, other than delivering Pizza's? What about the JHC Sea Kings? Still grounded in Iraq or has the temperature dropped low enough for them to actually start the things?

serf
12th Aug 2006, 18:17
Perhaps the RAF should look at how it mans detatchments - you could then have less people deployed each time to support relatively small dets.

Seems like a Fire Brigade attitude to manning and change.

Flatus Veteranus
12th Aug 2006, 18:50

Who would have guessed?

TheInquisitor
13th Aug 2006, 20:56
Lots of C130
Some 50-odd at the last count.

However, do you know how many are:
A) Unserviceable
B) Serviceable and already tasked elsewhere
C) Serviceable, but tasked for QRA / Standby
D) Serviceable, and available for tasking
...at any one given moment?

I can tell you with some authority that D, which can be expressed as (50-odd)-A-B-C=not alot.

Unfortunately, educating the Army about air power, and AT in particular, is rather like :ugh:

serf
13th Aug 2006, 21:32
ah............Air Power, just run that past me again.

Twopack
13th Aug 2006, 22:57
''If we lose the war in the air we lose the war and lose it quickly''

Field Marshall Montgomery