PDA

View Full Version : australian decel

fluffy5
1st Aug 2006, 16:57
I was wondering what an australian decel is,someone was saying that it is a band manoevre rapidly decreasing speed and height.Yet were unsure in the exact flight envelope the aircraft went through.Has anybody got any idea what this entails and also do you reackon an r22 could pull it off :}

Dis-Mystery of Lift
1st Aug 2006, 20:28
I think it's how Aussy's say Battery:ok:

ShyTorque
1st Aug 2006, 20:52
AAA answer, in my opinion. :D

Disguise Delimit
1st Aug 2006, 22:19
"do you reackon an r22 could pull it off?"

An R22 couldn't pull a sailor off your sister.

Dis-Mystery of Lift
3rd Aug 2006, 03:40
But I'm shore the Helicopter Pilot Could:p

Chinook
4th Aug 2006, 04:54
Been flying in Australian Army since 1994.

I trained in the US on Chinooks and I don't ever recall doing an Australian 'decel' - they had a quickstop technique called the 'Australian Slide' , basically a turn .....(sh*tloads of inflow) ... flare quickstop.

Also had a bizarre way of folding their maps they all called the 'Australian Fold' that I could never even begin to master.

Just finished a course on the R22 and don't reckon anything with the words 'rapid' (apart from entering auto) would be appropriate.

But good luck

topendtorque
4th Aug 2006, 11:24
Yes it all seems a bit of a mystery, maybe it's something to do with a placard, or maybe as chinook is referring to 'I think', what we call a downwind quickstop - nothing more than proceeding from the downwind posn to a target into wind.
First a normal steep turn for 90 degrees which is continued and quick stop during the last half turn, should be no inflow - sorry chinook - or maybe he could be talking about a straight downwind sliding quickstop with a pedal turn toward the slow end of it to arrive at your fuel drum - dust going right away downwind - fuel cap perfectly aligned with the drum bung upon touchdown, magic maeuvre with throttle and pedal only in the 47J, or maybe its a double half suckback or something even more complicated?????????????

I think we need more clues please fluffy.

Map folding is an art form specially now when in a R22 almost can cross a time zone (almost) on one tank of fuel.

Agaricus bisporus
4th Aug 2006, 13:16
I was wondering what an australian decel is,someone was saying that it is a band manoevre...

I think everyone is barking up the wrong tree here.

This is nothiing to do with helicopters, they don't feature in bands, do they? Perhaps to do with trombones or whistles, and what Fluffy really wanted to know was that an "Australian decibel is!

topendtorque
4th Aug 2006, 13:19
what Fluffy really wanted to know was that an "Australian decibel is!

Yeah ---- Ask Imabel

teeteringhead
4th Aug 2006, 14:00
Perhaps to do with trombones or whistles...don't trombone calculations involve a sliding scale ...

...sorreeeeee - I'll get me coat;)

Capt Hollywood
5th Aug 2006, 01:29
We do have 'decels' here in Australia, they can be found in some of the most remote parts of the country. I have seen the result of a 'decel' rapidly losing speed after coming into contact with some of our native fauna. It has little, if any, effect on the height unless there is some associated tumbling after the contact. I think it's the pronunciation you are confused with, we usually pronounce it 'diesel' with the 'c' sounding more like a 'z'.

:ok:

CH :cool:

bellfest
5th Aug 2006, 02:23
I actually thought he was referring to ones rapid decline in enthusiasm to post after having the piss taken, motions shaken and beliefs foresaken by all us pessemistic, judgemental, arguementative and synical Australians:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

22clipper
5th Aug 2006, 04:58
Cynics on the RotorHeads forum? Surely not!

"Map folding is an art form specially now when in a R22 almost can cross a time zone (almost) on one tank of fuel."

Many years ago I purchased a tactical pilotage chart 'cause the shop was all out of WACs. You could wall paper your loungeroom with this thing & have some left over for dunny paper. I had all of 60 hrs in my R22 & by the third unfold I was in deep trouble, obscured panel & forward vision with half it trying to exit the bubble. By this time its the size of large beach towel & I Had to land to stop the thing being sucked out (doors off in summer) & get it back under control. Actually had to exit the machine to refold it.

Nowdays I have the opposite problem, wearing bi-focals & trying to read a GPS screen the size of a postage stamp.

SASless
5th Aug 2006, 15:04
The joys of map folding.....something fixed wing pilots just don't appreciate!:ok:

topendtorque
6th Aug 2006, 00:55
fixed wing pilots just don't appreciate!:ok:

NTM the art of pouring oneself a cup of coffee, in an R22 on a turbulent windy day and some idiot just then decides to ask you talk on radio.

dragman
6th Aug 2006, 06:33
Surely the inclusion of a map would put a 22 over MAUW?

topendtorque
6th Aug 2006, 12:12
"Surely the inclusion of a map would put a 22 over MAUW?"

Cheeky bastard, drink at the same pub as 'nigelh' do we?

fluffy5
6th Aug 2006, 12:23
the information I got was through a friend reading a book on operation anaconda about a ch47 doing about 150kts 25ft off the floor and suddenly pulling off this abrupt manoeuvre to stop.possible the only with a tandem rotor ?

dragman
6th Aug 2006, 12:56
I only drink alone....

Definately sounds like a down-wind quick stop. Not sure that I'd want to do one flat out at 25 feet in a 22 though, I prefer my needles to be joined.