PDA

View Full Version : Forum Spelling

Art Field
1st Aug 2006, 13:27
Contributors who find the vagaries of the British way of spelling words rather challenging may find it helpful to use the abc symbol at the top right of the reply format that some kind person has provided, Please!!!!

Northern Circuit
1st Aug 2006, 13:33
antidisestablishmenatarianismg

...didnt work

TokZik
1st Aug 2006, 13:42
lol :E

I honestly didnt even see it ...

Whirlygig
1st Aug 2006, 13:50
It does though require that you download some software called ieSpell and not everyone may want to do this.

Alternatively, replies could be typed in Word and copy/pasted into the reply box. However, this is not infallible!

Cheers

Whirls

LunchMonitor
1st Aug 2006, 15:14
Eye have a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weights four it two say
Weather eye am wrong or wright
It shows me strait a weigh

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
1st Aug 2006, 15:18
Copying and pasting from a word processing package with a spell checker (check what "version" of English you are correcting to, though!) is a good fall-back.

In genral, the standerd of spellyng on hear is remarkibul.

Skeleton
1st Aug 2006, 15:32
Have to say I am not a big fan of "free" spell checkers. None of them are flawless that's why there free.
Spell-ex is another freebie and it will spell check Outlook mail as well. Like IE-spell though it has a nasty habit of reformatting documents when you refuse to change a word it does not recognize.
Cut out the middle man and use word to pen your reply then paste it in here.

Or you could turn it into Geordie here!! (http://www.geordie.org.uk/)

So it becomes:

Hev te syah Ahm not a git big fan of "free" spell checkers. None of them are flawless that's why there free.
Spell-ex is another freebie an it will spell check Outlook mail as well. Leik IE-spell though it has a nasty habit of reformatting documents when yee refuse te change a word it does not recognize.
Cut oot the middle gadgie an use word te pen yer say then paste it in heor.

Dont do Russian (http://ets6.freetranslation.com/) but it would be intersting to know if this is right!

Должны сказать, что я - не большой болельщик "свободных" шашек периода. Ни один из них не безупречен, именно поэтому там освобождают.
Период - исключая - другая халява, и это запишет чек(проверку) почта Перспективы также. Подобно То-есть-периоду, хотя это имеет противную привычку к переформатированию документов, когда Вы отказываетесь изменять(заменять) слово, это не признает.
Выключите среднего человека(мужчину) и используйте слово к ручке, в которой ваш ответ тогда приклеивает это здесь.

Acey ducey
1st Aug 2006, 16:01
As long as you can read the message, who cares? The fact that the majority of contributors are aviators implies a certain level of intelligence (at least I think it does!) so what if they make a few spelling mistakes while posting.

I guess we'll all be getting lines soon for the poor quality of our posts!!

Here’s another one to get your head around:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Ceehiro

Thlat'l fcuk the splelchekcer
:}

StopStart
1st Aug 2006, 16:15
....sounds like blolckos to me...

ShouldItDoThat
1st Aug 2006, 16:52
Have to say I am not a big fan of "free" spell checkers. None of them are flawless that's why there free.
S
Oops, should be "they're"

Skeleton
1st Aug 2006, 17:52
LOL Shouldi.... :) This is not aimed at your post but:

I rest my case... None of the free spell checkers can tell the difference, because they do not check grammar. A free grammar check wanted there changed to their, but that's because it was American. Try as I might I have to report that I could not find a checker that wanted they're used.

Mind you I did get a letter off the Council this morning that looks like a three year penned it, my English is not great, but even I spotted at least 10 errors. I did think about scanning it on here with names etc blacked out, but no doubt the lawyers would appear out of the woodwork and mention slander or defamation of character.

Anyway surely it's the content of the post that's important, and not whether its grammatically correct. Seems to be a new theme on here, pointing out people's poor grammar and spelling. Why? Its supposed to be a forum that allows, provided its posted within the forum guidelines, people to express views that may differ to others. This recent spate of you can't spell or your grammar is shocking smacks of small minded people who can not think of a more suitable reply. That's if they have bothered to think about the subject matter at all.

Oh and I did not bother spell checking this - more important things to do :)

airsound
1st Aug 2006, 19:43
Six munfs ago I cud not spel pilat, now I are wun.

4fitter
1st Aug 2006, 19:47
If I receive poorly written letters from outside organisations - NAAFI et al, I send them back marked to the MD or CE. Works a treat :E

ZH875
1st Aug 2006, 22:34
I can spell perfectly well, I think the problem is that my keyboard can't,

27mm
2nd Aug 2006, 05:23
Never mind the spelling, what about the punctuation, where plural's are increasingly made by inserting an apostrophe?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
2nd Aug 2006, 05:58
MS Word spell checker (wonder if Harry Potter markets one?) puts apostrophe-S plurals in as a matter of course if it isn't carefully watched.

Skeleton
2nd Aug 2006, 06:07
I leave em in cos i know it wind's folk's up. :)

DeaconBlue
2nd Aug 2006, 12:39
too pointz....

1) Artf - u have far two much time on your handz - u r obviouslee retyred or with the DLO... go out and find a life!:ugh: :=

2) lunchmon - brilliant!!!! I have already emailed this to a few pals :ok: :ok:

Pass-A-Frozo
2nd Aug 2006, 13:21
what's that saying about pom's and whinging poms? :}

warning: this powst ain't bin spell chexed

Art Field
2nd Aug 2006, 14:03
Just felt like stirring things up a bit, yes I am retired and not too mobile so enjoy the many brilliant responses, thanks.:ok: :ok:

TokZik
2nd Aug 2006, 18:22
There wons wos a man from nantuket
hu laikd to flai rownd ina roket
but won dei he flu past wile flaing real fast
and crashd rait in to the oshen:}

Hansard
2nd Aug 2006, 22:08
None of us is perfect but spelling, grammar and punctuation matter! It's a form of discipline.

PS

Skeleton,

None of them IS flawless.

With apologies

Hansard

No Mate!
3rd Aug 2006, 01:51
Hansard, mate, you can't go on at anyone else for their grammar, your's is equally as bad!

No Mate!
3rd Aug 2006, 01:52
None of us is perfect but spelling

:= := := No Mate.:=:=:=