PDA

View Full Version : Boeing or Bus??

SIC
1st Aug 2006, 07:57
Gents
I have just been hired by Cathay and have been offered a slot on the A340. I am currently flying Boeing and have three Boeing types on my name. Love the Boeing ( obviously - who doesn't ) but think it might be something new and interesting to go learn all about fly by wire.
Would appreciate any thoughts on which fleet is best to go to for an SO;, as well as what the future holds - would it be possible to go Bus now and then at some point in future move to Boeing??

Night Watch
1st Aug 2006, 12:04
As an S/O you are much better off on the Bus..... you wont be doing any flying, so it's best to be on the fleet with the least amount of uptight wankers. The 744 has a large percentage of them..... so you are much better off being on the Bus to start and moving to 777 when you upgrade.

Congrats on the job! It is a good company to work for, as long as you do your job to the best of your ability, then go home and forget about work, crack a beer and stay out of DB!

Team America
1st Aug 2006, 16:13
Night Watch, I take it you didn't like living in DB?

SIC, take the -400 if you like to have lot's of time off, there aren't too many w*nkers on there, have your flyby wire exp on the 777, I hear it is a nice easy upgrade after the -400.

Mach75
15th Aug 2006, 02:07
Just curious, why would the -400 equate to more time off for an S/O than the A340?

SkyCruiser
15th Aug 2006, 03:15
Just curious, why would the -400 equate to more time off for an S/O than the A340?

Because no ccq!

On the 340 you will ccq on the A330, this means 3 day trips to Aus etc (short flying time). The 400 will be 3 four day trips per month and thats it. My mates on the 340 fleet are usually working more days per month than the 400 guys.

Also going from the 400 to the 777 during your upgrade will make things a little easier.

Hope this helps.

Mach75
15th Aug 2006, 04:14
Would this be 3 shorter-haul day trips on top of the regular A340 long-haul trips? Also, I asked this question somewhere else but haven't gotten a reply yet: am I correct in my understanding that once upgraded from S/O to JF/O most guys transition onto the A330 or 777 for some shorter-haul flying to build more experience by flying more sectors? If this is correct, how hard is it for one to get back onto either the A340 or -400 somewhere down the road (if you wanted to take a basing at some point, for instance)?

404 Titan
15th Aug 2006, 14:35
SkyCruiser
Also going from the 400 to the 777 during your upgrade will make things a little easier.
Personally I think going from the A340/A330 to the A330 in your upgrade to JFO is far easier than changing type from the B744 to the B777 no matter how similar they may be. For one there is no ground school or exams and from memory only about seven sims and then line training. Going from the B744 to the B777 requires a full ground school, exams and sims before line training.

SkyCruiser
15th Aug 2006, 17:00
SkyCruiser
Personally I think going from the A340/A330 to the A330 in your upgrade to JFO is far easier than changing type from the B744 to the B777 no matter how similar they may be. For one there is no ground school or exams and from memory only about seven sims and then line training. Going from the B744 to the B777 requires a full ground school, exams and sims before line training.

True, but the 330 courses are very few and far between at the moment. Again, many mates from the Airbus are going onto the boeing.:ok:

Gravox
15th Aug 2006, 21:24
A Few questions

1) If you are sent on to either the bus or boeing do you have the opportunity to change fleets at some time in your career?

2) I see CX have ordered many 773 will these ultimately replace the older 744 on some of the long haul services.

3) How does recruitment run course intakes? I have a few mates who are starting this year and are all on the bus. But heard a rumour that next years intakes will be for the 777. Is this true or can they alternate between bus on boeing for different course?

SIC
16th Aug 2006, 07:16
Thanks for replies so far - very interesting!

Am I correct in assuming that it doesn't matter which fleet you start on in terms of seniority - in other words when the time comes for the upgrade to JFO and there are only 330 slots you get offered that / or 777 then you get offered that - no matter which fleet you are SO on ???
Also heard that you only once ever get a choice of fleet - true??

electricjetjock
16th Aug 2006, 09:23
SIC

Should you not have thought about all of this before the Interviews, asked about it during the Hong Kong interview process or even before the job offer?:cool:

I thought Cathay Pacific was the Airline that you wanted to join!! So it should not really matter at the moment what aircraft you fly as an SO, you are one of the lucky few, so ENJOY.:D

mizzy
16th Aug 2006, 16:55
Thanks for replies so far - very interesting!
Am I correct in assuming that it doesn't matter which fleet you start on in terms of seniority - in other words when the time comes for the upgrade to JFO and there are only 330 slots you get offered that / or 777 then you get offered that - no matter which fleet you are SO on ???
Also heard that you only once ever get a choice of fleet - true??
a choice will be offered of available aircraft types and course dates and the eligible officers may choose to accept or decline if your perference fleet isn't avaliable.
In term of flying patterns, i (personally) perfer the 744, as stated by other boardmates 3-3.5 ULH / mo and that is, even less if you have sims for that month, lots of Gs. The pattern is more complex for the bus, besides those 3 days Aus, you also have the chance to receive the 5 days BKK-KHI (with 2 mid-nite T/R Bkk-KHI). not that hard but not a nice one.

SIC
18th Aug 2006, 09:21
Hey electricjock CX has always been the airline I wanted to join and I will work any fleet they put me on - I am only asking details here to make up time while I wait for my next flight in a boring European hotel - and to keep you all busy....:E

Cronus
18th Aug 2006, 22:52
Hey SIC,

I reckon you'll find all these 747-400 S/O's posting because they too are in their hotel rooms on a trip somewhere!

Just to balance this debate out a little I'll add my 2 cents.

Not all S/O's on the A340 end up being CCQ'd and operate the A330, it's on a need basis.

Airbus S/O's currently enjoy a better mix of flights and longer layovers. 84hrs in FRA next month for me!

As an A340 only S/O which is what you'll be for at least 18 months, you'll have 3 trips per month and 3.5 if something rolls into the next month.

All the guys and girls who started around the same time as me and are on the 744 still get good blocks of days off but there seems to be a trend to put a T1 or T2 Command skills Sim crew up in the middle of them. Several friends have had 3 such sims in a month. Add to this reserve blocks where you generally get called out. Compared to me, no reserve ever and no Sim crew ups.

Roster choice, ie Compact or Super Compact can also have a huge impact on the shape of your roster, you can deal with that later.

Bottom line.. you'll enjoy either fleet as an S/O if you stay positive and make the most of the opportunity.

Regards,
Cronus