PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada call!

On Glideslope
1st Aug 2006, 01:20
Hello PPRUNers:
I have not logged on to PPRUNe in a very long time. So for those of you who frequent this site, forgive me if my posting on this topic is like beating a dead horse.
I got the call from Air Canada for the interview today, or was it yesterday, I don’t remember. I don’t really know anyone at Air Canada to turn to for information about the interview process. Perhaps some of you may shed light on the subject.
Also, what is the testing they refer to?
Thanks,
On Glideslope

bzhpilot
1st Aug 2006, 12:44
You may find more info there :
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewforum.php?f=31&sid=065715d9a209b116f9d6863c0655d8d7
Don't hesitate to share the details of your interview afterwards. I'm sure it will be appreciated by many on that forum....:rolleyes:
And congratulations :D

Number2
1st Aug 2006, 15:15
Knowing Air Canada, turbulence, and the many ways it can be reported will no doubt come up somewhere. :)

Congratulations and good luck.

airconcon
1st Aug 2006, 21:27
Hi there, I had my interview some weeks ago and to tell you the truth it was very straightforward. No technical questions just lots of operational type of questions dealing with decision making and use of good judgement. The psychometric test ( I think that's how it is spelled ) is something you can't prepare for and you have to go in and just relax. The medical is very complete and should take almost all of the morning, again, nothing to worry about. Just be yourself and and be honest. Good luck!

by the way, I just got the call yesterday and I'm in.

GreatCircle
3rd Aug 2006, 15:52
Hope AC treats you well.

What base ?

airconcon
3rd Aug 2006, 17:48
I start on the 21st of august and am told will find out then.

Auroradude
4th Aug 2006, 00:15
AirConCon,

How long did it take from interview-to-550 course?

airconcon
4th Aug 2006, 02:36
I interviewed may 4th and now I start august 21, I found out I had the job about 2 months later. They told me after the interview they would take 4 weeks to let me know but I understand they are really backlogged. How about you??

On Glideslope
13th Aug 2006, 22:02
I had the interview. It didn't seem all that bad. Famous last words perhaps. Infact it was like everyone diescribes it to be in previous posts.

I too was told in the interview 3-4 weeks before the committee makes a decision. I think I better count on closer to eight weeks from what airconcon has written.

All over but the waiting. It's out of my hands now.

On Glideslope

GreatCircle
13th Aug 2006, 22:28
Good luck man....the waiting is the worst part.

Shame they can't follow what I understand is BA policy - and letting you know within days if you made the cut.

On Glideslope
1st Oct 2006, 23:19
The waiting is over! The news is good (pending passing the medical - so one shouldn't count the proverbial chicks until they hatch.)

I know everyone who reads these posts tries to dissect the qualifications of those interviewed in an effort to find rhyme or reason as to who is being hired. So to save those of you described above from asking, here is a synopsis of my qualifications

Age 30-35
Education BSc
Languages - English, French and some German
Flying experience
TT over 5000
multi over 4000
multi pic over 3500
705 ~600
705 pic 300
contacts at AC mainline - 0 (total cold call)

c150driver
2nd Oct 2006, 00:11
...your not sure of your exact age??:p

congrats, and good luck...:D

brucelee
2nd Oct 2006, 14:29
On GS.
Congrats and welcome.

GearDoor
2nd Oct 2006, 16:48
Congrats,
I did my interview in YWG on Aug 17, then the tests in YYZ on Sept 12. I havn't heard anything yet. Two co-workers did interviews in the same time period, and neither have heard anything yet either. However, the last interview in YWG was supposed to be on Sept 25, so I'm not expecting much for another week or two.
Here's a summary of my info:
32 years old
5400 tt
1300 PIC
700 MPIC
3200 large, glass turbo props
0 pic on said turbo props
engineering degree and aviation diploma
2 references, neither are family
some french
Fingers crossed.

On Glideslope
4th Oct 2006, 19:05
Thanks for the welcome brucelee.

Questions for those in the know - How long does the indoc (550) course take? And what does it entail?
Depending on the equipment one is selected for, is there a big wait between completion of the 550 course and the start of training?
Do you just sit at home and wait for your training date or can you go back to your old job until the start of training?
Thanks,
On Glideslope

brucelee
4th Oct 2006, 19:27
The 550 course is a couple of weeks long if my memory is correct. You will cover the company policies on everything from fuel management to what you can and can't wear at work. During this time you will get visits from various department reps including ACPA. I don't know what the scoop is these days but you probably won't wait too long to start sim after the 550. Available equipment is Emb f/o and 767 r/p. One word of advise, don't go back to your old job while waiting. Unless you have permition from the CP, it is against our policy. Enjoy the training, it's a hoot and enjoy those great evenings at Arizona's.

GearDoor
9th Oct 2006, 15:29
I still havn't heard back yet. I'll chock it up to the long weekend. It's been almost four weeks since I did the tests. Hopefully I'll hear something this week. The suspense isn't killing me yet, because I have other things to keep my thoughts occupied (like a three-day old baby). But I'm getting a little nervous.

Fingers and toes crossed for a 550 course before Christmas.

GD

Constellation
11th Oct 2006, 07:51
Hi Guys!

Currently working overseas and i'm up to bat come last week of November. If anyone can enlighten me on what's AC's compensation package like eg. starting monthly salary, productivity, retirement benefits etc. Also what's the initial aircraft type for the new hires? Cheers!:)

29chev
11th Oct 2006, 16:35
http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/canadian/air_canada.html

flyboy519
13th Oct 2006, 02:36
Hi guys ...

I got my AC call and heading back to Canada next month.

Question - No one has mentioned a sim eval. Does AC still do one ???

thanks for the info

FB519

airconcon
13th Oct 2006, 02:43
There is no sim. eval. for the selection process. Congrats on the call. My only advice, that an AC pilot gave me, was to go to the interview and be optimistic and smile lots. Good luck!!

doubleremix
13th Oct 2006, 14:40
I thought smiling wasn't allowed at AC? := :O

doubleremix
(nothing constructive to contribute)

sec 3
13th Oct 2006, 16:18
Flying skill not required at AC.Post secondary education is enough:E

brucelee
14th Oct 2006, 00:43
Then you would fit right in.

flyboy519
14th Oct 2006, 02:41
Hey AC guys ...

Quick question. Is there a difference between b767 / A340 RP payscale and b767 / a340 f/o payscale ???

fb519

Constellation
14th Oct 2006, 06:50
http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/canadian/air_canada.html

Thanks 29chev for the hyperlink to the hourly rates!

So a new hire will get 37.3K per year salary for the first year plus the guaranteed 65 hours a month? Anyone can explain the salary structure for Air Canada. Many thanks! :confused:

bzhpilot
14th Oct 2006, 13:22
Hey Constellation,

I doubt you 'll make 37.3 K per month (AC is not known for the best paid company in the world).
That would be more like 1st year is a salary of 37300 CAN$ on a 65 hours hours basis per month. If you go over this 65 hours I'm pretty sure you 'll get extra. And then you also add the per diem...might a bit different (not working for AC) but I'm sure I'm pretty close.
The next years, it's credit time system....

Constellation
15th Oct 2006, 13:34
Hey Constellation,
I doubt you 'll make 37.3 K per month (AC is not known for the best paid company in the world).
That would be more like 1st year is a salary of 37300 CAN$ on a 65 hours hours basis per month. If you go over this 65 hours I'm pretty sure you 'll get extra. And then you also add the per diem...might a bit different (not working for AC) but I'm sure I'm pretty close.
The next years, it's credit time system....

So that's only 37.3k per year plus per diem? Anyone from AC care to confirm?

thanks bzhpilot!

BartBandy
15th Oct 2006, 19:02
Believe it or not, that is TRUE.
Pretty pathetic.

readytocopy
17th Oct 2006, 23:15
How long from the time when someone gets a call from AC can you expect something in the mail or via e-mail from the company.

On Glideslope
18th Oct 2006, 20:50
DONE! And it feels great! Can't wait to start :D

Constellation
19th Oct 2006, 07:07
DONE! And it feels great! Can't wait to start :D

Congrats On Glideslope! I'll be doing the Interview Testing and Medical on the last week of Nov. keep us in the loop :ok:

er340790
19th Oct 2006, 14:15
That's only for the Cabin Crew....