PDA

View Full Version : Ground personnel and fumes....

Deal or No deal
31st Jul 2006, 22:25
What are the effects on ground personnel and the fumes they have to ingest in daily life???

I hear that diesel and JETA1 offer carcinogenic fumes as a result...

Tugs, gpu's, air starts and a/c engines all spurt out this stuff.....

So what's the verdict on ground crew and poison ingestion????

Mister-Sheep
31st Jul 2006, 22:59
Hi
I would say negligable from a pilots point of view. However, from a ground operatives point of view I would say v.serious. I have worked on the ramp at manchester and can say most of the vehicles are absolute crap and its very easy to suddely walk into a large cloud of diesel fumes, lovely. Cant imagine its worse than smoking though.

Mister-Sheep

Aloon
18th Aug 2006, 18:24
I once asked my nurse if there were any tests she could do to determain the amount of poisons I was ingesting at work... She didn't know of any... And that was the end of that!!

rhovsquared
18th Aug 2006, 20:10
1. OSHA regulations require that ALL employees be given upon request the MSDS
sheets for all potentially hazardous substances, furthermore if you feel the need, you should be properly fitted for a respirator.

2. We are all exposed to carcinogenic subtances, and long term danger to such exposures in the modern world are very complex; is cancer more common nowadays BECAUSE folks generally live longer? :E

3 Is the 'carcinogenicity' of specified substanced affrmed through real world data' Look at the asbestos industry as an an example :\ :\ :\

4. Most hydrocarbons especially those with a aromatic constituents ARE carcinogenic ;)

5. The human body is very capable of self repair [DNA repair enzymes for example] or via the immune system that according to Burnett's Immune surveillance theory [our bodies are continually 'making abnormal cells' but these are destroyed in 99.99% of cases :ok:

Eat right, excercise, sleep if you can and get your physicals in the meanwhile

To the Ramp on point-six
rhov :)

Flyboy543
23rd Aug 2006, 19:49
Standing at the front hold on a 737 with a gpu running isn't much fun i can tell you! Especially the old diesel gpu's used where I am, you should see the cloud of black smoke they kick out when you start them up! and we're breathing it in :sad:

rhovsquared
23rd Aug 2006, 22:33
Sorry OSHA's US, but still see the MSDS [material safety data sheet]and get fitted for a respirator,in the mean time a mask may help filter larger particulate matter.

NO PT :ok: :}

rhov :)