PDA

View Full Version : Storm Aviation SSTR

transilvana
27th Aug 2004, 16:57
I need some help of you ppruners

I have been invited by strom aviation on an assessment day to do the B737TR?

Do you know which companies do actually empploy SA pilots?
Have any one of you done this program?
They say that the B737 TR takes around 3 months, isn´t that too long for a TR?

I need all the help as possible

Best Regards

Vampire

Vimp
28th Aug 2004, 11:30
I’m also on the same selection see you there.

Three months includes all the peripheral courses, differences training from the 300 to the NG, base training and 10 sectors with Astraeus. Sectors can be up to four hours so may have up to forty hours flight time by the end.

osito
28th Aug 2004, 18:45
CAn you tell me something more about this program and how to apply?
Thank you

MiniMe
1st Sep 2004, 09:29
I think you are referring to the Global Aviation Program, including the ten sectors. I did it last year and got employment right after. It may be one of the very few ways to get into the right hand seat of a jet, and has worked for a good few people, but here are a few points to consider:

Expect to need around 5 months, sometimes more, sometimes less, as organisation is not their strong point, and as you are not on their payroll, it costs them nothing to keep you longer.

If you have connections with someone in management in Astraeus or someone in other airlines, make sure they know, as this helps. There was a student in the corurse after us who landed so hard during his base check that an engineer had to inspect and the O2 masks came out. - Needless to say, he passed, due to being well connected.
CrashDive here – first off, I will hold my hand up and express an interest in the company concerned ( being one of their pilots ); However, that not with standing, MiniMe what you allude to about nepotism and, particularly, about racism is truly beyond the pale ( and as such I have edited this section of your post – wherein it borders upon defamation ).
As a general piece of advice, might I suggest some ‘introspection’ before one attempts to introduce the 'race card' in place of what is actually a shortfall in ability !

Having said all that, most of the instructors are of a high standard, with no issues of theirs to push. You can genuinely have a good time with a good bunch of people. If you have no debts and no family to support, then this is the way forward.

B warned though, that the only firm contract they have is for Air Asia, flying the -300, some non-efis for 400 a month after tax (yes, that's pounds!!).

You can ask for anything in writing, don't be worried the'd not take you - they do like money - If they do put it in money, believe it to be true. If they don't...

Little Miss
1st Sep 2004, 18:09
I did my TR 737 as part of the Global scheme and am now employed with Air Asia. The pay is not as bad as stated above but it is not as much as you would get in England. But remember that out in Kuala Lumpur a little bit of money can go a very long way. It can take a while to finish the TR course and average tends to be from what I ve seen about 4 months. Good luck with it all.

Joe_Bar
1st Sep 2004, 18:39
Little Miss

May I ask some more info.

How long is the contract with Air Asia, and can you give some details about the cost of the 737TR, etc.

Thanks Joe

BigGrecian
1st Sep 2004, 19:32
May I ask whether you are paying for this via a self funding route? If so, I strongly recommend reading the "I will not pay for a TR" thread. - http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142778 -

AIRWAY
1st Sep 2004, 20:02
Hello

Any web addresses?? Tried doing a google search but nothing found... :confused:

Joe_Bar
1st Sep 2004, 20:30
www.stormaviation.com

AIRWAY
1st Sep 2004, 20:34
Something so simple :O

MiniMe
2nd Sep 2004, 12:31
Am surprised my post got edited, however I'll stand by what I said. I don't believe it was due to lack of aibility, as he went on to pass a few days after with another examiner, then went on flying the 737 and now flies the 757 for DHL.

Yes, Little Miss, the TR course takes 4 months, but that does not necessarily include the sectors and ancillary courses, or did it for you? Good for you if you are getting more, I didn't know some had gone out there yet. They have some chaps through Direct and EAgle who started a while ago.

Sorry, if I "played a race card", this was not my intention. Surely, when the small examiner commented on the Kenian crew leaving the DC10 sim the other day that you didn't want to be in the back of an aircraft if that lot was flying, he was commenting on their .......... Well, what was he commenting on, then??

Little Miss
2nd Sep 2004, 21:16
Mini Me, I was in the May course and finish this week. That included differences, SOP's, Slides and doors, wet drills and a 3 week wait for base training. The rest of the guys on the course finished long before me. I haven t left for the sunnier climates yet but leave very soon with contract in hand and know what I m letting myself in for (maybe!!!!)

Joe Bar - What would you like to know? Send me a PM and I ll answer what I can. Are you thinking of joining us? You ll know me if you come with us to Air Asia as I m the Girl Ha ha ha.

Joe_Bar
3rd Sep 2004, 11:11
Little Miss I have sent you a PM

Cheers Joe

SCOPE71
27th Mar 2005, 12:26
just wondering if anyone could help me with the required details for switching my aussie cpl to american standard.

Tinstaafl
28th Mar 2005, 00:48
Have you searched? There have been a number of threads covering the topic.

mike halls
29th Mar 2005, 16:10
hello scope,

there are plenty of threads on this type of question.
check out www.aussie-air.com they do A lot of
conversion stuff.

safe flying

mike

-IBLB-
26th Apr 2005, 22:44
check 14CFR61.157 and onwards.

If you have a unrestricted ICAO ATPL, you usually just have to take the written and a checkride.

-IBLB-

Streetfighter
16th Sep 2005, 10:29
Hi,

I have been invited for a simulator assesment for a sstr and 300 hrs line training with Wizzair. The assesment will be held at GECAT. Can anyone give some advice / how to prepare.

Thanks

SF2 HADOUKEN

lobsterbisque
16th Sep 2005, 16:03
yes, but the question is this: If after 300hours you go not get kept on can you get Job elsewhere? most of the airlines seem to want 1000 or 1500 TT with a minimum of 500 on type - what are your thoughts?

Yebo
7th Jan 2006, 16:00
Hi all,

Anyone on StormAviation cadets scheme?
Looking for information on this type of type rating scheme.

Happy new year

spinnygirl
29th Jan 2006, 17:47
Does anyone know the details for the Storm deal with Wizzair? I know that Wizz were recruiting back end of last year for guys with time on type so I'm guessing this may be more for the summer season - possibly a chance to turn a profit whilst getting extra crew members.

It looks similar to Astraeus in that it's more a self funded type rating with the "possibility" of a short term contract to build hours.

Would be very interested to know the hours offered in the contracts and also if they will take on low hours type rated guys

Thanks

Yebo
29th Jan 2006, 18:55
Hi,

What I know is a scheme of selfsponsored type rating with 300 hr line trainnig. You can apply online. 1500 hrs total time required, and must pass an assessment.

Heph224
31st Jan 2006, 22:41
Hi,

What I know is a scheme of selfsponsored type rating with 300 hr line trainnig. You can apply online. 1500 hrs total time required, and must pass an assessment.

just out of curiosity, how much would that cost?

Yebo
1st Feb 2006, 09:25
It is £25K plus tax all inclusive. Call them they will be happy to give details.
Keep well,
Yebo

Gufo
1st Feb 2006, 09:36
Sure they will be happy, you're pouring cash into their pockets!!! :eek:

Btw, last year these guys were turning down type rated people with hundreds and thousands hours on the bus; they preferred to keep it cheap and hire willing-to-pay pilots. Now, up to you, but I would like too see them grounded for lack of crews! :ouch: :p

Mr Wonka
1st Feb 2006, 12:29
Gufo

Your dead right, and seems that things are not changing. 2 good friends type rated and hours on type, turned down, and yet 1 other I have spoken to NOT type rated and no tp or jet hours is accepted. Yes he has got to pay for that type rating and seems is bonded for the additional line training.

Artificial Horizon
1st Feb 2006, 13:23
Geeeeee..... what a great deal, pay £25,000 + tax for the privledge of working for some second rate low cost airline ........Bargain:ok: :eek: :ok:

moist
3rd Feb 2006, 10:38
Slightly off topic, but not too much.
I have applied to Wizz and was invited for an interview in BUD a couple of years ago.
B737 Capt, 8000TT, (Currently skipper with UK LoCo), requested BUD base.
I said OK I'll come over, but just tell me what pay am I to expect?
Reply: "sorry we can't devulge that information". Naturally never went, but just curious as to what they pay their skippers, as the original ad was in Flight Int, so I figured they must be expecting to pay Western rates!

mmmmmmmmmmoist

A320rider
3rd Feb 2006, 17:03
Sure they will be happy, you're pouring cash into their pockets!!! :eek:
Btw, last year these guys were turning down type rated people with hundreds and thousands hours on the bus; they preferred to keep it cheap and hire willing-to-pay pilots. Now, up to you, but I would like too see them grounded for lack of crews! :ouch: :p

i would like to see them out of business!

Mr Wonka
5th Feb 2006, 11:49
Hello All

I must admit that I do NOT want to see wizz air go out of business like a320rider.

I think that Wizz air is exploiting the employment situation, just like many other employers, they can do this only because of the number of Pilots willing to pay out loads more money. If Pilots stop doing this and see how counter productive this is short term and long term, then you take the wind out of the sails.

I wonder though ! Where Wizz Air got this idea of requirement for pilots to type rate with Storm ? So who then is the real bady in all of this ?

Thoughts and ideas please !

Mr Wonka

pindakaas
5th Feb 2006, 13:46
Paying for a TR and even hours is not the way it's supposed to be. But I think paying for basic flighttraining is very little less wrong. But where does it stop?

I was a 170h guy who paid the TR with Storm and flew 500h with Wizz after this. I had a great time and I think it was great value for money. During my period in Wizz I was given full time accommodation, transport and an allowance for food. Not such a bad deal I think.

I am now flying for a well known UK operator. When looking back I think I have done well.

Posh boy
5th Feb 2006, 20:57
I don't post very often but I feel I need to warn a few of you here.

Yes pindakass.
That was long time ago. now you stay for 300 hours.
There is absolutely no guarantee of a contract at the end of it.
If you're lucky to get it you'll be taking home no more than £12000 a year after tax including sector due to near 40% tax you have to pay.
And if you think 300 hours will land you a nice job here in the UK , think again!
THE MARKET FOR AIRBUS PILOTS IN THE UK IS HEAVILY OVERSATURATED AT THE MOMENT!
EASY WILL NOT EVEN LOOK AT YOU IF YOU HAVE LESS THAN 500H!

TO ALL OF YOU WHO CONSIDER TYPE RATING ON AIRBUS
MY ADVICE IS DON'T DO IT!
If you think I exagerate contact all the operators of A320 in the UK and find out for yourselves what their recruitment plans are for the rest of this year.

And no I don't have A320 rating , I fly boeings.
I've come across a few guys recently ( 1 of them going buncrupt!)
And I hate to more of you going the same path.

pindakaas
6th Feb 2006, 11:36
Hi PB,

Indeed its 300h nowadays.
Everyone so far got offered a contract with Wizz after completing their 300/500h.

I must say it would be much easier to find a job with 500h as opposed to only 300h. But note that for contract work you'll need at least 1500TT or even more. So 500h is definitely NOT a free ticket towards any A320 job!

The salary ín Wizz when you finish your hours would be around 3500 euros before taxes. You can choose where to pay your taxes. Not such a bad salary I'd think. Enough to survive while building your hours......

Bobs-Your-Uncle
31st Jul 2006, 20:45
Just noticed an advert for this.....and guess how much they want!

26 big ones plus VAT!

are they having a laugh?

wigwag
31st Jul 2006, 21:11
Yes they are and all the way to the bank.

This must cover the type rating and line training at this price.I hear they are snowed under with applications too, some people :ugh:

Oh well best of luck to you all.

WW

:cool:

manuelvi
1st Aug 2006, 11:20
The price includes type rating plus 300hrs.
still a lot of money := :=

cheers

helldog
1st Sep 2006, 11:16
First of all let me say that I dont want to start an argument here about paying for this kind of thing. But Storm are listing a self funded type rating on the 757 or the 737 (not sure of the operator)for just under 30K with this you get 300 hours on type also. But then on the same page they are advertising for proper f/o slots and they want a minimum (as almost always) of 500 hours on type. Surely for that price they could let you fly for free for them for another 200 hours to at least set you on your way with 500 hours.

My point is how can these guys serriously ask for this kind of money knowing that basicaly you will still have a hard time getting a job in the real world unless you get another 200 hours. My guess is they know you will want these hours and they will offer them to you for yet more money. Hey if you can afford it good luck to you. :ok:

Superpilot
1st Sep 2006, 11:34
My point is how can these guys serriously ask for this kind of money knowing that basicaly you will still have a hard time getting a job in the real world unless you get another 200 hours

This is what we should be asking them.

unimuts
1st Sep 2006, 13:28
These companies are making fools out of you. So many pilots are so desperate storm are just taking you for all they can get. All £ 29 900 of it...

:D

dartagnan
1st Sep 2006, 13:52
I got a job offer on a "big jet" and I am NOT type rated.The offer includes training at my own cost, then I will be paid to fly the jet.

if I had paid my own type rating, and a company asks me now to fly in a different aircraft, it means I will have to pay for a second t/rating.

so the best is to have a job promess, or a contract before to fork money in a type rating.

so keep your money, if you have some left!

RMP2
1st Sep 2006, 14:16
Dartagnan,

Is it a verbal or written job offer? What kind of jet will you fly?

I know a couple of guys that had a job offer before doing their TR, and they are still on the ground...

if I had paid my own type rating, and a company asks me now to fly in a different aircraft, it means I will have to pay for a second t/rating.

I don't understand your argument...
If you had pay your own type rating, you would have applied to airlines using the same aircraft you are rated on. Well, that's what I did...why make it hard when you can make it simple?

By the way, if you have to pay for a second type rating, what's the problem?? It's not that expensive, and you may have a great deal if you go back to the same TRTO...

mistral_e
1st Sep 2006, 15:39
First of all let me say that I dont want to start an argument here about paying for this kind of thing. But Storm are listing a self funded type rating on the 757 or the 737 (not sure of the operator)for just under 30K with this you get 300 hours on type also. But then on the same page they are advertising for proper f/o slots and they want a minimum (as almost always) of 500 hours on type. Surely for that price they could let you fly for free for them for another 200 hours to at least set you on your way with 500 hours.

I agree with you, I had your same doubts too. It looks like you said, they look for people paying t/r over 737 and 757 and after they don't give them a chance to reach the barrier of the 500 hrs on type which is the actual market barrier from interesting CV and not interesting at all.
After those 300 hrs we can do just speculation but I think they won't give those guy a job while they will probably keep asking others money or just dump them again in the unemployment market . With just those 300 hrs I don't know if those guys will have so many chances to get another job without having to take out money from their wallet again...

But for sure Storm aviation will start the process again :

Check list:}
no t/r people - Look for
29.000 pounds- Ask them
300 hrs - make them fly
in the street - done

and here we go again... Bussiness:oh:

It doesn't smell good :suspect:

helldog
2nd Sep 2006, 08:53
How do they work this thing? Do Storm train you then send you out to one of their clients? Does the client get a cut of the profits? Because they are allowing 250 hour total time pilots fly where they normaly demand much higher time. Or do they still pay Storm a fee per hour or what?

Cabair351
28th Dec 2006, 14:19
Anyone been on the storm aviation assessment day?

would love to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance

scroggs
30th Dec 2006, 11:21
Assessment for what?

Scroggs

chrislikesblue
31st Dec 2006, 10:32
I am also interested in taking part in any assessment test(for type rating/line training scheme).
Anyone could provide us with any info?

persefany
31st Dec 2006, 11:05
yes, assesment for what????????

chrislikesblue
31st Dec 2006, 18:50
Did u read between the two parenthesis?
Assessment for type rating+line training with an airline,what else would we want to do the assessment for?

ALOHA
31st Dec 2006, 19:53
chrislikesblue Did u read between the two parenthesis?
Assessment for type rating+line training with an airline,what else would we want to do the assessment for?

You must be loaded then Chris, didn't u say that u already have 737 rating?

mikehammer
31st Dec 2006, 21:42
What do you mean "assessment for what?". I thought this was for wannabe pilots, frankly chaps I think you can read between the lines enough by now. Anyway now that someone has kindly answered your questions, whether you can read between those lines or not, how about giving them some answers to that originally posted?

scroggs
1st Jan 2007, 10:23
Storm Aviation are involved in training for a number of different organisations, aircraft and airlines, which is why I asked what assessment you were on about - they are not all the same. As chrislikesblue is after information about the Storm SSTR (which he could have found by doing a search), and Cabair351 has chosen not to enlighten us, I shall merge this thread with the pre-existing Storm SSTR thread.

Scroggs

Cabair351
2nd Jan 2007, 13:45
Sorry Scroggs,
been away for the holidays. The assessment i was enquiring about was for the A320 Cadet programme.

http://www.stormaviation.com/training/pilots.php

Hope that helps.

Cabair351