PDA

View Full Version : Can you help identify this aircraft?

Brooklands
31st Jul 2006, 20:36
Its not for me, its for a friend (Honest! :) )

His stepfather (arrowed left) was a Radio Operator/Rear Gunner on the type. The picture was taken in 1944

My initial thought is its a Wellington, but thats partly because it looks nothing like any of the other twin engined WWII types I know (Beaufighter, Blenheim, Mosquito), and I have this nagging feeling that it just may be something else.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/brookieswebsite/images/aircraft/unidentifiedaircraft2.jpg

Thanks

Brooklands

treadigraph
31st Jul 2006, 21:09
Does indeed look like a Wellington to me, or possibly a Warwick... Edited: I am certain it is a Wellington.

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/images/fa350_wellington_500.jpg

Kieron Kirk
31st Jul 2006, 21:26
Would agree that it is probably a Wellington.

Warwick had seven extra stations in each inner plane, twelve extra stations in the centre/rear fuselage but most telling five extra stations in the nose.

The photo would clearly show the lengthened nose if it were a Warwick.

chevvron
1st Aug 2006, 12:46
Didn't the Warwick have 4-blade props?

Philthy
1st Aug 2006, 15:32
Does indeed look like a Wellington to me, or possibly a Warwick...

C'mon Treadders, you weren't serious were you?

treadigraph
1st Aug 2006, 16:14
Not once I'd had a look at Google Images Philthy!

Kieron Kirk
1st Aug 2006, 16:24
Warwick Mks. two, three and five had 4 blade props.

m5dnd
1st Aug 2006, 16:39
Definatly a Wellington...

And with a title of "Brooklands" You should have known !!:ok: *

Come and see the famous Loch Ness Wellington at Brooklands Museum ..

M5DND

* Dont take this to seriously.

saman
1st Aug 2006, 17:45
I'm sure Brooklands knew it was a Wimpy - he surely wants to know the Mark, engine type (Perseus or Hercules) and prop manufacturer - over to the eggspurts!

Saman

Kieron Kirk
1st Aug 2006, 20:56
Wellington X ? Bristol Hercules VI or XVI. Curtiss Electric props ?

DH106
2nd Aug 2006, 05:49
I'm sure Brooklands knew it was a Wimpy - he surely wants to know the Mark, engine type (Perseus or Hercules) and prop manufacturer - over to the eggspurts!
Saman

Is he asking for help to try and identify THE aircraft - i.e. the serial?

Brooklands
2nd Aug 2006, 16:17
And with a title of "Brooklands" You should have known !!
:O :O :O :O :O :O

Thanks to everyone for the information.

I was only after the type - I think it would be asking a bit too much to ask for a serial number based on that picture.

My doubts were because I couldn't see any evidence of the geodectic structure, and I also thought that there was a long window above or just behind the wing, but perhaps that was only on certain marks. Like treadders I did wonder about the Warwick (although I couldn't remember what it was called), given the date.

Annoyingly I got rid of all my old copies of Aeroplane Monthly a few weeks ago, I'm sure I'd have found the answer in there.

Brooklands

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Aug 2006, 17:56
There WAS a long window along the side of the fuselage but, it seems, only on the Mk 1A, used mainly by 75 Sqdn (New Zealand).

Sorry, not much but that aeroplane has always intrigued me. Sadly I have mis-placed a book about the Wellington but I think I will have rummage around at the weekend.

PPP

Tartan Giant
3rd Aug 2006, 23:44
Hi Guys,

My answer would be, it is a Wellington:ok:

My Dad (RIP) flew as an WOP/AG on the said machine, here's a photo - note the same flying boots as per Brooklands

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/TartanGiant13/mso517.jpg

Cheers
TG