PDA

View Full Version : Army Air Crossroads, any pointers?

Muzza9999
31st Jul 2006, 17:52
The time has come in my short (heli) flying career that I am faced with the hideous prospect of three years flying a desk and using the manual of defence writing as an aileron. I only have 900 hours total, (Squirrel, Gazelle, Lynx) and genuinely have no idea what my chances are of employment outside. I am considering anything (and frankly would fly anything) but seem to be faced with much doom and gloom in the civvy jobs market. Can anyone out there shed any light on what my chances may be.

I hate to leave the forces but really feel it isn't really me anymore, I was only meant to be in for 6 years, but lost track of time.

I would really appreciate your advice.

Muzza

ShyTorque
31st Jul 2006, 19:08
I would say your chances are better than they ever have been in the last fifteen years. Do get your licence first before "pulling the yellow and black handle", though!

paco
1st Aug 2006, 01:48
Yeah, I only left home for coffee and came back 9 years later! :)

It's a big decision to think that far ahead, but Shytorque is right on both counts. Send me a PM about new training material.

Phil

w_ocker
1st Aug 2006, 01:54
Muzza,
Have you had a look at a lateral move to the Australian Army Aviation Corps? Better weather, keep flying (and on good machines - S70/MRH 90/Tiger/CH-47D etc etc) and better prospects in next year's world cup! I've been out of the Corps for a while, but there have been a few of your blokes come across recently I believe.
Good luck

teeteringhead
1st Aug 2006, 08:42
Or dare one suggest a transfer to the RAF??? You will be aware that lots have gone that route before - and one is an Air Vice Marshal! But many more are still flying......

ShyTorque
1st Aug 2006, 10:36
Surely Muzza's not that desperate? :ok:

paco
1st Aug 2006, 16:41
Yeah, the RAF would be a lateral move..... :)

Phil