PDA

View Full Version : Examination Sittings

boogie-nicey
31st Jul 2006, 14:52
I note that some of my fellow ppruners mention that you have 4 attempts at the ATPL exams. Yet I was under the impression that there were (or least used to be) 6 attempts. Has something changed recently or could it be that 4 attempts per subject are permitted but overall you can attend the examination centre 6 times.

Somewhat confused .....

helicopter-redeye
31st Jul 2006, 14:55
Six sittings in total.

Four shots at any one paper.

h-r

potkettleblack
31st Jul 2006, 15:21
Yep that's right. Check out LASORS and refer to J1.5 on page 340. Don't forget the 18 months from the first sitting as well.

boogie-nicey
31st Jul 2006, 15:59
thank you very much ......

sicky
31st Jul 2006, 16:22
What happens after the 4 attempts? is that it? no more pilot for that unlcuky chap?

Mercenary Pilot
31st Jul 2006, 16:25
Nah, it just means you have to start the exams again. fun fun fun:ok:

It happend to a mate of mine, hes done now though.

littco
31st Jul 2006, 16:26
You have to go back to the ground school for further training and resit all 14 exams!

littco
31st Jul 2006, 16:56
What a load of bollox :rolleyes:

Err that was just my opinion! I'll edit it for you!

Mercenary Pilot
31st Jul 2006, 16:59
I know some great pilots who have struggled with the JAA exam system :ok:

Jimmy The Big Greek
31st Jul 2006, 22:20
I agree with mercenary pilot. Even if you would fail more than 4 times and you would have to start over dont let it spoil your career.

My personal experience is that Social skills, the ability to make friends (contacts) are far more important regarding the success of a pilot.

boogie-nicey
1st Aug 2006, 14:03
Thanks guys, I haven't failed any yet but just wanted to be aware of what the current situation is like.

Mercenary Pilot
1st Aug 2006, 14:15
If you don’t feel 100% confident in taking a particular subject, don’t sit it and concentrate on the others that you are taking on that stage.

If "it'll be alright" are the most famous last words of a pilot..."I'll give it a go anyway" must be the famous last words for an ATPL student :p

:ok:

BlueRobin
1st Aug 2006, 21:35
Hi Boogie, another way of stating what MP says. Nigel at AFT when we met seemed pretty vigilant about who he let into the exam room, i.e. not before they are ready. I gather this helps with their pass stats. Does your FTO adopt the same attitude?

Good luck. How many more exams have you got to go?

I start with AFT a week Thursday and I thought I gave exams up 7 years ago! :eek: If there's one benefit vs academia, I don't have to write a dissertation or do coursework.

boogie-nicey
2nd Aug 2006, 08:56
I am due to sit my first round of Modular 1 exams, but as always I wish to research the ground I'm walking on so that there aren't any unexpected pitfalls.