PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Cheapest JAA / ATPL Frozen!!!

dynamism
31st Jul 2006, 14:19
Dear Gentlemen,

My first question is; Where is the Cheapest (JAA) ATPL Frozen Training?!!!
Does anyone know???

In South Africa or in U.S

Where? and What are the names of these cheap schools?

There are many discussions regarding that subject so I get confused.

I have been searching for the flight training for a while, therefore I found some schools in U.S. and S.Africa because of their compatible prices. But on many disccussion boards, I saw different explanations and suggestions.

I would kindly request you to illuminate me. I just want to know if it is possible for someone to have a JAA Licence from non-JAA state?

Costs are very different and varying according to geographies even in EU member states. For example you can see a cost of € 75.000 for 0 - ATPL in Finland and also you can see the same training just for $ 25.000 in U.S (Not FAA, JAA Approved)

Also I have two important questions:

1- What is the difference between studying flight training in a JAA full member country and non-JAA country
2- What is the difference between studying flight training in a JAA full member country and EU Member Country (Some JAA members are not the EU members, so which choice is musch advantageous?)

I want your help at this point.

a) How can I find the Cheapest (JAA) ATPL Frozen Training
b) How can I find the JAA Approved Schools in S.Africa and America.

Hope you wont tell me to apply to the National Civil Aviation Authorities of that Countries'...

thank you very much for you consideration.
Best Wishes
Andrea Bocelli

raviolis
31st Jul 2006, 14:23
thank you very much for you consideration.
Best Wishes
Andrea Bocelli

You'll need a Class 1 medical...which includes eyesight tests !! ;)

dynamism
31st Jul 2006, 14:32
You'll need a Class 1 medical...which includes eyesight tests !! ;)

Brilliant Mind... :cool:

geraldn
31st Jul 2006, 14:38
There is no such one place where you can cheaply do all your training unless you want to go down the integrated route(not the cheapest), however if you go modular you can mix and match different schools, unless you want to go to somwhere like oxford and go through their waypoint (modular route).

Just keep in mind that as far as i know you will have to do your Instrument Rating in a JAA country or have it converted in a JAA country,to get a JAA FATPL.

to get a JAA licence you have to do as mentioned above some of your training in a JAA country,being part of europe or not doesnt matter as long as the state is a JAA member and offers training under JAR-FCL.

potkettleblack
31st Jul 2006, 15:51
Your first step is to ask yourself a very important question - which country do I wish to issue my JAA licence. Having answered that then you need to consider each countries own interpretations of the JAA FCL rules and regulations. For example in the UK the CAA have a list of approved flight training organisations (FTO's). This is available on their website and should you wish to go down the UK licence issue route then you need to acquaint yourself with that list. Then you need to check if your US/SA schools are on it. Remember also that the list does change as schools gain/lose approvals so it isn't cast in stone.

You say that you might want to travel to the US to save some cash, well that is fine. Now assuming you are going down the modular route (as opposed to integrated) then as was pointed out above there is no 1 school that will give you everything you need. The CAA have a rule that the IR skill test must be conducted in JAA land ie: NOT the US.

To fly professionally you will need the following and this is the usual order that it is done in:-

1) PPL + night rating
2) ATPL ground school
3) Multi rating, CPL and IR
4) MCC

Now 1, 3 and 4 can sometimes be done at one school depending on what each one has approval for. You have various self study routes for the groundschool (called distance learning), plus inhouse residential versions as well. Schools such as Bristol, BCFT,Oxford, Cabair etc etc will all sell you a set of 14 manuals and let you get on with it. When you are ready you attend a brush up course of usually 2 weeks duration at their base and then travel to an exam centre to take the papers. In the US I am not aware of anywhere that you can do 4. Naples Air Center used to have approval to do 1,2 and 3 but has lost its JAA flying approvals for the moment.

Also there are various rules and regulations concerning the hours that you must have before moving on from step 1 above. For people contemplating going with the CAA then these are contained in a document called LASORS which is again on their website and has been linked numerous times on pprune so a search will find you that. It will also help you answer loads of other questions such as the format of the ATPL exams, number of sittings you are allowed, how long you have to pass them etc etc. All good reading for when you are losing the will to live.

Note that I haven't included hour building on my list. This is usually done after step 1. Some people keep flying all the way through the ATPL ground school and keep their hand in. Others feel that it distracts them from study. Clearly where you do it and how you go about it will depend cost and what suits your circumstances. Many of us who post here on pprune have saved some cash and gone to the US. You will probably want between 50-100 hours so the costs are significant. Some people buy shares in aircraft, some rent from a school. There are many ways to skin a cat.

There is also a sticky at the top of this forum which you need to read and get a full understanding of. To answer your question on cost, well there is no cheap place. If you find it please let us all know.

As a rough estimate I would expect that if you pass everything in minimum time and found the cheapest schools for each bit of the course then you won't have much change from £40,000. That excludes the living expenses, accomodation, flights to the US/SA, licence fees, ATPL exam fees, buying flying equipment (headsets, kneeboards, calculator, bags, pens/rulers, CRP5, torch, stop watch etc etc), beer money, landing fees and just about anything else you want to throw in.

Lucifer
31st Jul 2006, 17:02
You are asking yourself the wrong question - the cheapest is irrelevant. The quickest to the flight deck is most important in order to maximise your lifetime earnings, which entails neither going for the cheapest nor the most expensive, but instead the best quality and training for your needs.

If you look for the cheapest, you will end up with rubbish training and waste your time.

dynamism
3rd Aug 2006, 14:19
Thank you to all participants, I am waiting for other new comments. I would like to know the cheapest CPL training approved by JAA.