PDA

View Full Version : Degree, no degree?

PilotLevi
30th Jul 2006, 17:40
Umm, I really like helicopters and could possible think of it as a career. As of now, I'm 17 years old with pp asel. I'm going to try and get the H added within the next 10 months($$). Anyways, Should I go to college, and major in something else? Or should I just take out a loan and go through a part 61 school all the way? I have no clue what I want to do. What would ya do? :ugh:

B Sousa
30th Jul 2006, 17:49
You want to fly, great, but what happens if all of a sudden a few years down the road for some reason you cannot fly any longer............GET A DEGREE. It may help later on...
In fact combine both, look at Embry-Riddle, I wish I had..
www.erau.edu

PilotLevi
30th Jul 2006, 19:00
You want to fly, great, but what happens if all of a sudden a few years down the road for some reason you cannot fly any longer............GET A DEGREE. It may help later on...
In fact combine both, look at Embry-Riddle, I wish I had..
www.erau.edu (http://www.erau.edu)

I been looking at Embry alot, the only problem I have with them is 1) No helicopter program.(Im not rich I can't do both I will need loans) and 2) A little pricy. I also been looking at FIT and UND. UND is way to cold for me, but it has a helo program. =/ FIT, and ERAU looks the best for me. Any college you suggest taking a look at?

MK10
30th Jul 2006, 19:08
PILOTLEVI
why does your profile say you are 37yrs old????????/
mk10

PilotLevi
31st Jul 2006, 02:26
PILOTLEVI
why does your profile say you are 37yrs old????????/
mk10

lol I was in a hurry or something when I made this a few weeks ago.

SASless
31st Jul 2006, 02:56
Do a law degree....go to medical school....get an engineering degree....then buy an airplane or helicopter and fly for fun.

Alternatively....marry a big time lawyer...doctor or engineer....and use her money.

Get your education first....fly later....finish college then join the Air Force, Coast Guard, Navy, or Marines and fly there. I purposely left out the Army.

Don't get yourself a hokey "aviation" degree unless it is an MBA, or something that can be used in any industry.

Shawn Coyle
2nd Aug 2006, 01:09
I find it curious that if you want to fly for nearly any major fixed wing organization, that you need a degree to even get an interview. And to fly helicopters... (not wishing to slam all the excellent helicopter pilots out there, but I often wonder if the relative lack of technical expertise hasn't hurt us slightly in keeping up with our FW brethern)

Eldon
2nd Aug 2006, 13:20
My story:

After high school I went on to earn two degrees from Daniel Webster College...one through the fixed wing aviation side of things and one through the business program.

I then 'applied' the business degree to getting a suit and tie job, sitting in an office, earning money in San Francisco so I could pay for my helicopter add-on ratings.

Promptly after earning instructor status I quit the suit and tie gig and began my helicopter career...

5 years later...

"Business" is calling again...specifically investing...I'm MAKING (not earning) more money in single deals than I have for the 5 years COMBINED as a pilot.

To sum it up...flying for fun is a lot more fun than flying for work.

Also...this is my opinion...looking back in hindsight...don't bother with college...learn what you NEED...not what some college forces you to take in order to receive a piece of paper that just collects dust. (this is not to say colleges do not offer SOME useful courses...but to sit through 4+ years of school...limited value)

PM me if you want to talk more about this...flying, life, happiness, and the pursuit of wealth