PDA

View Full Version : Aussie obtaining US license... any tips?

ConwayB
30th Jul 2006, 11:25
Hello Prooners,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the process, pros, cons, requirements of obtaining a US license? I heard it was 5 hours and a flight test. Is that correct?
Anyone done it recently? Any recommendations?
I understand foreign students have to register with TSA prior to getting a visa. Is that hard to do (and no, I am not a threat to the US... except maybe on the freeways).
I have ATPL (H)/CPL (A) with Squirrell (ASTAR), Blackhawk, Chinook, MD500 background. I'd like to get a B206 endorsement simultaneously.
After doing a google search, I have made enquiries with a company in Hawaii but would not be averse to CA, AZ, NV etc.
Any recommendations and tips would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance and safe flying.
CB

rotorboy
30th Jul 2006, 15:13
All that is required from you is to go through the TSA process, they will issue you a private lic gratis, then take the CPL written ( order the disk and take practice exams on your laptop), then five hours of dual , and you will be ready to go.
Any good flight school can help you with the TSA stuff. Hawaii sounds like a nice place to be. Make sure the school has a pilot examiner on staff , makes it a lot easier. IMO it should not take you more than a few days an 2K usdf for the whole lot.

PM me if you want for some other school suggestions.

Dont waste your money on a 206 endorsement, there is no such thing here. With your time, someone will throw you in a too o six and ... starts the same as 500

RB.

HELOFAN
30th Jul 2006, 15:26
Not to sure of the process when you already have a start but it might pay to talk to a school that are in the game of training international students.
I am an Aussie but am starting at the beginning, and am in the process of getting my J1 visa that lets me work and study in the good ole USofA for 2 years.

There are a few different ways of being allowed in the states to study/convert as I understand it 1 with a J1 visa and that is only good for folks like me with no CPL and then there is the M1 visa that ( may ) suit you ...... I really dont know.

Either try the dept of immigration in the US .... interesting web site to navigate else try a school , there is only 2 helo school in Us that do it for me ( J1 Visa ) I cant remember the name of the other ( not school bashing Ihear they are very good ) but are in Califorina I believe or just above it, anyhoo they dont train in the 300's and I prefer florida so I am going to go to HAI.
www.heli.com

helpful and friendly, I am sure that if they will help you go where you need to go & what is required.

Good luck..... Hmm Blackhawks & Chinooks .. erm you are not previous from 5 aviation in townsville are ya mate?

HF

ConwayB
30th Jul 2006, 21:48
HF and RB, thanks for your answers. I found the FAA pages relating to the issuance of a US licence and RB, it looks as though you're right on the money. Thanks also for the advice re 206. There's a company in HI that does foreign students so I hope that will suffice.

HF, yes I am ex- 5 avn. Nice guess.

Thanks again, guys. Safe flying.

CB

rotorboy
30th Jul 2006, 22:19
If it is the flight school I am thinking of, there was a thread on them here not so long ago. I have never heard anything bad. The owner is a Pilot Examiner and an experienced pilot ( I believe he used to work for ERA). He should understand your needs well.

Plus HI , the beach , the beer and the bikinis sound pretty good to me.

Have fun

vpaw pilot
30th Jul 2006, 22:51
Hi Conway,

Leaving these shores? Holiday or permanent?

Stay safe...

:)