PDA

View Full Version : The touring life: Beds I have slept in...

Steve76
30th Jul 2006, 09:01
Trying to sleep last night I started doing a count of the number of different beds I have slept in to date this year.

Last year the total was 29 but this year is looking to be a record breaker with a total of 25 coming on shift yesterday. It will easily reach 26 by the end of this tour.

The total doesn't account for all the airline seats I have had to try and sleep in, nor the waiting lounges of countless airports.
Ahhhh... the touring life.

kissmysquirrel
30th Jul 2006, 09:03
Steve, i'm assuming you mean hotels/rigs/etc and not the amount of women you've met so far on your travels this year? Sounds like a touring life is fab!!:ok:

Steve76
30th Jul 2006, 09:10
Yeah didn't consider that one.
29 doesn't seem like a lot anymore! yuk yuk...
Mustering Guru must be in the hundreds for a year :}

verticalhold
30th Jul 2006, 10:09
Quick check through the logbook since the first of jan 2006 finds 89 different different beds, not counting Christ Almighty hundred hours starts when I sleep in the spare bed to avoid waking Mrs VH. Can't wait for the day when I can sleep in my own bed every night!

kissmysquirrel
30th Jul 2006, 11:13
So come on tell us Steve, did the counting send you to sleep?:sad:

SASless
30th Jul 2006, 14:09
Lordy...Lordy ya'll! There was a time in life when the goal was to sleep in a strange bed even if only for a few minutes. Thus having been a single man (or Geographical Bachelors) for most of the touring....that would skew the count for some of us. Should we Single guys assign penalty points for those occasions and stick to only the "assigned" beds?:E

rotorboy
30th Jul 2006, 15:15
43 and counting

Steve you dont like me anymore or what.

mustering guru
30th Jul 2006, 20:33
Steve

Actually I am having a slack year only about 15 fresh ones. I shouldnt work so damn much!

And as for different beds in regards to work well......about 27 so far and am moving again in the next few days....

Got to love touring!

Enjoy the mozzys Steve!

Going on diamond drills later in the week with the Astar.

MG.

Steve76
31st Jul 2006, 01:13
RB, sorry dude - just busy as you can imagine and this country is farked for internet connectivity. Did a couple of tours in a tent too...

Will kiss and make up later :) Mail Mustering Guru, he talks more than I do these days and he's a farken good bloke!

Not a lot of flying up here - in fact none which is OK cause I don't get paid to fly hours and if I don't fly it, it won't get dirty. Its possible I may end up back on the seismic before too long.

Its 8000ft, plenty of food, great gym, scenic, cool for PNG, sunny, Sat TV and Internet at times and another pilot to chat too. Its a lot like a fat farm for fat lazy bush pilots ;)

Later mates...

rotorboy
31st Jul 2006, 02:10
If you want to end up back on the seismic ( real siesmic) come back to CANADA, eh.

no worrys there, imagine you got your handsfull both on the homefront and in paradise.....

ill flash youan email soon.

Baz

MD900 Explorer
31st Jul 2006, 10:49
Steve76
Steve, if you were CFI you would'nt have to hot bed all the time..:E Mind you even tho you are closer to NZ, it is by the sounds of things a bit of a farkin effort getting to your office and staying there eh..:ok:
So whats the betting that you will be in Canada soon then eh..:E
Have fun and don't become a fat lazy bush pilot....:D
Catch ya later
MD :ok:

topendtorque
31st Jul 2006, 11:31
An interesating topic, and one which provides amusement for mrs TET at times. not that i do that much of it nowadays, strange beds i mean, the prob used always be where the bloody hell is the heads after a) lights out, and b) to reinforce the issue generator off. (to save fuel or something???)

sometimes 100+ locations a year.

I developed a technique of memorising my IFR route with eyes shut to handle such emerg and it is fail safe, but very amusing to someone observing me when it just so happens that there is enough light to see.

a fairly robust routine as the more some OTHER idiot tried to lead me astray with the demon drink b4 curfew the more demanding the mission profile.

SASless
31st Jul 2006, 13:28
TopendT,

You seemed to have met a fellow I recall from my travels....a little wee Aussie that makes the Pied Piper look a failure in leadership.

The wee callow fellow delighted in seeing others suffer following a night of frolic.

After spending a night in his company it was not navigation that was the problem....more like perambulation of any form.:{

mikelimapapa
31st Jul 2006, 14:53
TET,

You make an interesting point about finding your way to the head at night. I say this because I knew a girl in high school whose father was staying at a friends house that he was unfamilar with. He got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, opened the wrong door, fell down the basement stairs and died. It was a freak accident, but it shows you what can happen if your not familar with your surroundings.

remote hook
31st Jul 2006, 16:12
Steve a CFI???

You could sell tickets to watch that....lol

If it makes you feel any better Steve, I'm sitting in the bush, getting fat too.... Wee bit cooler here thoug!

Have fun.

RH

Steve76
2nd Aug 2006, 07:15
Mikelimapapa: That just cracks me up... I am still laughing.
TET: The head? My touring accomodation is just a donger (ATCO for you

Canuks) so finding the loo is a matter of just making it to the door. Often I don't even bother going outside, just crack it open and flop it out.

MD900 Explorer: You are still the best surrogate Pommy pilot I have met :) Just don't leave that island or the IQ level will plumet. Speaking of beds... there is one at my house for you and the lass anytime required.

RH: as for you - dammit, if I was your CFI at least you would be able to sling something larger than a 50ft line!

Can't believe there are guys out there with 43 - 100 beds a year (Even with MG only getting 15 kills a year these days)
Its incredible the amount of change we all put up with.

Safe flying friends.

topendtorque
2nd Aug 2006, 12:37
Sas,
I could maybe finger a few, a couple of whom could stand right up in a bell 47 and not touch the roof, one was--ahem --a kiwi??

MLP,
it was a trait discovered by accident but strongly re-inforced after I once spent a night out in the boonies, years ago.

arrived a bit late- cook made me welcome, 'like a feed?' "'yep", well nothing here 'cept watery stew',
"yeah, where's the boss?" - 'gone rooting some sheila from the local blacks camp- bastard'
- "yeah I reckon".

muster next day I reckon will cost him heaps - was a lunatic journey etc.

watery stew, slightly less watery tea, no sugar, threw my swag down, went to vent the bloody water during the night, all day no food of course, back to swag, next morning looked down from my vehicle, bloody jeeesuss, right in the middle of an old tin mine complete with fifty foot vertical old shafts.

after that map and memory for sure.