PDA

View Full Version : Filton Aeros or Bristol Flying Centre?

ST-EX
29th Jul 2006, 14:38
Hi, I have a bit of a dilemma:
I am currently trying to get my PPL with an aim to then proceeding with CPL etc. I started having lessons at Aeros Filton, which I have enjoyed very much(great airport, good instructor). My problem is that there are too few instructors there, meaning that I can only have 1 lesson a week-which is only one hour. So I'm getting frustrated at how slow it's taking.
I have been considering going to Bristol Flying Centre, which seems to be a bigger, flashier organisation, but still feel a sense of loyalty towards Aeros. I just want to have as many lessons as possible with the same instructor-can anyone offer any advice? Anybody in a similar position?
Thanks in advance for any replies!

matspart3
29th Jul 2006, 17:27
Have you thought of using Aeros main base at Gloucester? More instructors, runways, aeroplanes....

Steve N
29th Jul 2006, 19:07
You might have an initial wait but by booking well ahead and keeping booking ahead each time you fly it can be done. I did it at Aero's Filton sometimes flying 3 or 4 times a week. Get a tent. :)

Deano777
30th Jul 2006, 13:59
Hi ST-EX

I did my PPL at Bristol FC and am now flying with Aeros hour building & for the CPL/IR, Bristol will be no different for your PPL because they have not got as many planes to train on, and not as many PPL instructors, (well at least when I was there), as have already been mentioned the thing to do is to book well in advance, that's the only way to be sure of a slot, remember Bristol & Filton have to cater for a vast majority of potential pilots in the SW region of England as there are not many FTOs in the area unless you ventured to Kemble etc.
I also agree with the comments about flying from Gloucester, I have flown from Filton & Gloucester with Aeros and they are pretty similar, the only thing I found with Filton is the damn turbulance when landing with a SW or NW wind due to the hangars, you could say that's a good thing ;)
End of the day it's up to you, but the warriors at Aeros are well equipped, and are nice birds to fly.

If you want any more specific information feel free to PM me for my phone number

Rgds

Dean

ST-EX
30th Jul 2006, 15:54
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies-I did not realize that BFC was in a similar situation to Aeros. I think I will just book as many slots as possible for september and tell Aeros to call me if they get any cancellations. Aeros Filton is easier for me to get to, so I'd prefer to carry on with them.
I agree with the comment about the turbulence at Filton-with a crosswind as you come in to land over the A38, makes things very interesting!

runway09
30th Jul 2006, 18:46
ST-EX i am in exactly the same position. I have just started taking my PPL after having my trial at Aeros in Filton.

However i am finding it hard to get the amount of time in the air flying as i would like. By now i should have over 4 hrs of flying but this still at 1.5hrs. This is beacuse of the pants English weather with either bad vis or cloud base being too low and the instructor having to cancel my lesson.

Also i know one of their instructors has recently left leaving them in the lerch and understaffed. I know Flight ops keep shutting the runway at random times for maint to do 747 engine testing - Stupid really considering there is a testing area at the end of the runway (mall end).

I have another lesson booked for Weds and i really hope i will be able to get up then. It has started to cross my mind that another school might be the best way but as you, i feel a certain kind of loyalty to Aeros.

Chilli Monster
30th Jul 2006, 21:09
I know Flight ops keep shutting the runway at random times for maint to do 747 engine testing - Stupid really considering there is a testing area at the end of the runway (mall end).

747's won't fit there - that's why they're done on the runway

Deano777
30th Jul 2006, 21:33
ST-EX i am in exactly the same position. I have just started taking my PPL after having my trial at Aeros in Filton.

However i am finding it hard to get the amount of time in the air flying as i would like. By now i should have over 4 hrs of flying but this still at 1.5hrs. This is beacuse of the pants English weather with either bad vis or cloud base being too low and the instructor having to cancel my lesson.

Also i know one of their instructors has recently left leaving them in the lerch and understaffed. I know Flight ops keep shutting the runway at random times for maint to do 747 engine testing - Stupid really considering there is a testing area at the end of the runway (mall end).

I have another lesson booked for Weds and i really hope i will be able to get up then. It has started to cross my mind that another school might be the best way but as you, i feel a certain kind of loyalty to Aeros.

runway9

Stick with it and book lots of slots well in advance, if you think the weather is ****ty right now you try flying from Bristol, the amount of times I have departed on a nice day, and on return, from a distance you can see low stratus hovering above the mendips shrouding Bristol Airport. That said it's not all bad at Bristol, they had a couple of good instructors when I was there. As far as Aeros go instructors will leave, the same as they will from any FTO, when they find an airline job or the like they will go no matter where they work, Aeros do replace their instructors the same as any other FTO.
Like I said anyone want further info on either that I am probably not going to digress here then PM me

Dean

runway09
30th Jul 2006, 23:11
Thanks for the advice Deano.

I think i have just been unlucky so far. As you say i will just have to start booking more slots further in advance. As for the weather the last 2 slots i had booked were for 9am when the weather can be a bit dodgy.

Do any people have any advice as to which time in the day is best to book when booking lessons weather wise? I know weather is something we have no influence over but the last 2 early morning slots have not been good for me and i am going to steer clear of them from now on.

I shall presist and lets just hope the next few lessons i have booked wont be cancelled! :ok:

Deano777
31st Jul 2006, 00:24
No worries runway

Depends though really on the time of year, in the summer it tends to be nicer in the mornings and get's worse as the day wears on due to the diurnal effects of heating causing cumuluform build-up, whereas in the winter it is the mornings that tend to be worse due to the fact that the temperatures are colder at night causing low fog or stratus during the early hours before the sun has chance to heat up and raise the temperature. I tried to go for mid-mornings when i was learning, 11am onwards.

Dean

READY MESSAGE
31st Jul 2006, 15:00
Fly at Aeros Filton. Get the CFI as ur instructor, an all round top chap!

gcolyer
31st Jul 2006, 16:00
I have just moved to the Bristol area and i can't decide which club to join. I already have my PPL and night qualification with over 100 hours on 7 different aircraft.

I am used to paying next to nothing as they were all my mates aircraft. Now I don't live anywhere near my mate i have to come back to the land of paying.

Aero's is obviously the best price, my concern is the availability of aircraft. According io thier website they only have 2 wich are PA28-140 and 150. To be honest i would rather fly a 180 or somthing with a bit more grunt. Are two aircraft enough to service the use of students and solo hire pilots? I don't want to be having to book weeks in advanced.

BFC in my opinion are expensive £120 +vat for a 172!! but they have plenty of aircraft.

ANyone got any ideas to help me decide.

Deano777
31st Jul 2006, 20:23
Aero's is obviously the best price, my concern is the availability of aircraft. According io thier website they only have 2 wich are PA28-140 and 150. To be honest i would rather fly a 180 or somthing with a bit more grunt. Are two aircraft enough to service the use of students and solo hire pilots? I don't want to be having to book weeks in advanced.

BFC in my opinion are expensive £120 +vat for a 172!! but they have plenty of aircraft.

ANyone got any ideas to help me decide.
er, where did you get the idea from that Aeros only have 2 aircraft? they fly warrior 161s from Filton and have generally got 4, then at their Gloucester base they have more again, and Bristol Flying Centre have never had Cessna 172s (as far as I know), they only have 2 PPL training aircraft too in the form of a Cherokee 140 & a Warrior cadet (someone who knows correct me if that's changed)
gcoyler, if you want to take the right hand seat with me from Gloucester to get a feel for it then send me a PM

Dean

gcolyer
1st Aug 2006, 08:13
er, where did you get the idea from that Aeros only have 2 aircraft? they fly warrior 161s from Filton and have generally got 4, then at their Gloucester base they have more again, and Bristol Flying Centre have never had Cessna 172s (as far as I know), they only have 2 PPL training aircraft too in the form of a Cherokee 140 & a Warrior cadet (someone who knows correct me if that's changed)
gcoyler, if you want to take the right hand seat with me from Gloucester to get a feel for it then send me a PM

Dean

Aero's website (for filton anyway) only states 2 aircraft, and BFC have a 172 in their solo hire price list.

As for getting a feel are you refering to the club or to flying?

nasib
1st Aug 2006, 19:36
Aero's website (for filton anyway) only states 2 aircraft, and BFC have a 172 in their solo hire price list.
Unquote.
BFC don't have a 172. Bristol and Wessex do.
Nasib

gcolyer
1st Aug 2006, 19:47
Unquote.
BFC don't have a 172. Bristol and Wessex do.
Nasib

BFC told me to contact Bristol and Wessex as they don't hire out thier aircraft for private hire and that Bristol and Wessex use thier aircraft. I am going to take a guess that whoever i spoke to was wrong.

Deano777
2nd Aug 2006, 15:49
As for getting a feel are you refering to the club or to flying?

I'm talking about the club, I'm sure you have more than enough experience flying wise ;) (probably alot more than me), I have answered your PM as well :)

vulcanpilot
2nd Aug 2006, 21:18
I did my PPL at Aero's Gloucester despite living in Portishead at the time (Filton wasn't up and running then) and chose Aero's over B&W or BFC. I have flown out of Filton and whilst its an 'interesting' and occasionally challenging airfield to fly out of, I would recommend Glos. as the base to learn from.

Main reasons:

You have 6 runways to use so will very seldom be outside limits
It gives you an excellent grounding in joining and flying the circuit at a multi-runway airfield.
You seldom get the Wx issues you do at Bristol (and Filton sometimes)
You do not waste your engine time & wallet paper (tho they WERE on Flight Timers?) waiting for the big boys to stop fannying around
More aircraft and instructors on fleet at Glos.I wouldn't say Aero's were the best FTO (I now only fly in Jersey and can't speak highly enough of Jersey Aero Club and the instructors/aircraft) but they got me through my PPL(A) in the 90's and I formed some lasting friendships with other students and instructors.

Remember, its your money so you spend it how YOU want - book well in advance and don't let them muck you about (that goes for any FTO).

PS. Do they still have G-BPKR on fleet? Did my 1st Solo & QCC in it :ok:

Good luck and enjoy it.

Mark.

PPL(A)/Night

Deano777
2nd Aug 2006, 22:24
I did my PPL at Aero's Gloucester despite living in Portishead at the time (Filton wasn't up and running then) and chose Aero's over B&W or BFC. I have flown out of Filton and whilst its an 'interesting' and occasionally challenging airfield to fly out of, I would recommend Glos. as the base to learn from.

Main reasons:

You have 6 runways to use so will very seldom be outside limits
It gives you an excellent grounding in joining and flying the circuit at a multi-runway airfield.
You seldom get the Wx issues you do at Bristol (and Filton sometimes)
You do not waste your engine time & wallet paper (tho they WERE on Flight Timers?) waiting for the big boys to stop fannying around
More aircraft and instructors on fleet at Glos.I wouldn't say Aero's were the best FTO (I now only fly in Jersey and can't speak highly enough of Jersey Aero Club and the instructors/aircraft) but they got me through my PPL(A) in the 90's and I formed some lasting friendships with other students and instructors.

Remember, its your money so you spend it how YOU want - book well in advance and don't let them muck you about (that goes for any FTO).

PS. Do they still have G-BPKR on fleet? Did my 1st Solo & QCC in it :ok:

Good luck and enjoy it.

Mark.

PPL(A)/Night

Yes Mark they still have KR :) , nice bird she is too, Aeros runs on airbourne time + 10 minutes, traxfax records your airbourne time (airspeed over 40kts I think) and 10 minutes added for taxying etc, you're right you don't have the big boys at Gloucester but you do have to hold a tad on the ground especially, which running airbourne +10 is no problem because you don't pay for it.

Dean

vulcanpilot
3rd Aug 2006, 07:21
Yes Mark they still have KR :) , nice bird she is too, Aeros runs on airbourne time + 10 minutes, traxfax records your airbourne time (airspeed over 40kts I think) and 10 minutes added for taxying etc, you're right you don't have the big boys at Gloucester but you do have to hold a tad on the ground especially, which running airbourne +10 is no problem because you don't pay for it.

Dean

Yes, Traxfax - that's it. They were only just implementing this when I completed my training, but it seems a darned good idea. Wish a few more FTO's would use them.

Flying out of Jersey, it gets a tad expensive whilst sitting at the hold waiting for a stream of 73's, 146's and Trislanders to come in as we pay for tacho time & I imagine Bristol Lulsgate could be the same at times when the EZJet mob all come home.

I found Filton a bit odd TBH - very little other traffic which is not much use when learning to fly circuits, the chop off the hangers can be a bit daunting and the runway is so damned wide I found it mucks up your perspective in the flare a bit as your peripheral vision is used to the runway edge being visible :ooh: . Not sure how useful Filton is for PPL training TBH.

Glad they still have KR - she must be getting a bit tired now. I tried to avoid the 140 (G-SCPL) at all costs. Nice thing with Jersey is they have a couple of new(ish) Archers with twin GNS430 + twin-axis autopilot plus a Chippy to fly so you get a bit spoilt. Do miss the Arrow that Aero's had - did my VP & Retract on that.

Ah, those were the days :{

Mark.

PPL(A)/Night

Deano777
3rd Aug 2006, 12:17
Bristol Intl can be the same whilst you hold for the EZYs etc but to be fair Bristol fc used to knock off a few decimals for longs waits on the ground which was only fair.
I know what you mean about the width of runway at Filton, I always used to flare way too high :{ , and when I did my night rating we flew to Staverton and I used to flare a tad late due to the narrower runway :{
Why did you used to avoid G-SCPL? just interested as I am booked for 40hrs of hour building with her, I have flew about 6 of these so far and found her ok, would prefer a DME to be honest but apart from that she's been ok.
Sounds like you are spoilt at Jersey for equipment HAHA

vulcanpilot
3rd Aug 2006, 16:28
I know what you mean about the width of runway at Filton, I always used to flare way too high :{ , and when I did my night rating we flew to Staverton and I used to flare a tad late due to the narrower runway :{

Yep - that's exactly it - flare way too high and it all starts to go wonky:ugh: I did a couple of night landings at Staverton but 27/09 had no centreline lights which was a bit spooky after being used to 'lighting overload'

Why did you used to avoid G-SCPL? just interested as I am booked for 40hrs of hour building with her, I have flew about 6 of these so far and found her ok, would prefer a DME to be honest but apart from that she's been ok.

Dunno - a bit pokey, a bit slack and sloppy and it had a climb prop on when I flew it. It was also VERY tatty and naff-all nav fit. Much prefer a Warrior TBH as I am a bit wide across the shoulders so a 140 is a bit too cozy. Good hour builder tho I suppose. So, where do you 'go' to build your time? Loads of triangular nav-ex's :bored:

Sounds like you are spoilt at Jersey for equipment HAHA

Sure am - and the rates are pretty good too, though even Jersey has been hit with the fuel price hikes. Usually fly on the Standby rate which is even better. Plus its a proper International airport :\ and in Class-A airspace so it makes a much more interesting flying experience - and nice to be able to hop over to France in 20 mins, or Guernsey for a spot of lunch and alternative tax-free shopping :E :ok:

I found here there are only so many times you can fly into Halfpenny Green or Shobdon for tea and cake.

Have fun with your hours building and be safe:ok:

Mark.

PPL(A)/Night

Rick-The---Pilot
5th Aug 2006, 19:45
Im currently doing my PPL at Aeros Gloucestershire, although i actually live 5 minutes (literally) from Aeros Filton, at filton their instructors are limited, and their prices are higher, they are also booked right up as said. The weather is usually pretty crap and isn't helpful for when you first start out (i did a few trial lessons at filton for some fun, every time i did, there was a lot of haze/mist, gloucestershire has been all good weather every time ive been there), also the instructors shift around, so some are there for a few days, and only few are permanently there to my understanding.

I went to filton a few times, but after numerous failures at being able to fly due to weather or instructors being "ill or late" i tried gloucestershire and im about to do my first solo in 2 weeks or so with them, the instructors there are decent and helpful, the planes, atc, runways and airfield are brilliant, the land features also make flying circuits etc a lot easier, where as filton doesnt have much, other then the severn bridges, but they wont help you if your doing a circuit. Also, their instructors are permenent, i started out shifting around with instructors as i didnt mind, so i could have flied every day if i wanted, i usually book 2 or 3 lessons a week without problem, i have now picked my favourite instructor and will stick with him now untill i pass my PPL, but having a few instructors when you first start can be helpful, so you get into different habbits that others may not enforce and you get a different point of view, some may not think much and say that was good, when really you did something wrong, the one i picked is getting me into airline pilot habits and always points out anything i could have done better.

Ive also tried out BFC, the guys there say that bristol airport doesnt really want GA at the airport, so bristol have put landing fees up for GA aircraft, their prices are pretty high and for any one who hates smokers or the smell of it, beware, the place is filled with the smell of smoke. I did a trial lesson there, and wasnt very impressed, the instructors are also older and quite strict, not that bad for some, but as a younger pilot i dont like too much sterness like they have at bristol, i would give them a 2 out of 10, where as glos get a 10/10!

At glos theres also 6 runways, so you dont get excessive crosswind landings, and theres a lot more aircraft movement and ground movement at glos then there is at filton, so it gets you used to being cautious when taxying, starting up etc.

So try Aeros Gloucestershire! :D

whitebeard
6th Aug 2006, 01:34
Ive also tried out BFC, the guys there say that bristol airport doesnt really want GA at the airport, so bristol have put landing fees up for GA aircraft, their prices are pretty high and for any one who hates smokers or the smell of it, beware, the place is filled with the smell of smoke. I did a trial lesson there, and wasnt very impressed, the instructors are also older and quite strict, not that bad for some, but as a younger pilot i dont like too much sterness like they have at bristol, i would give them a 2 out of 10, where as glos get a 10/10!
Unquote
That was NOT at the Bristol Flying Centre! They do not do trial lessons any more.

Rick-The---Pilot
6th Aug 2006, 09:27
Actually, i dont mean the actual BFC place where they do CPL coarses, i was talking about the building next to it that does PPL training. But they are still known as BFC to some people.