PDA

View Full Version : Whats a pilots favourity food?

qdmaviation
29th Jul 2006, 11:59
Hi,

I am the operator of Caernarfon Airport and have just given notice to the operators of the cafe on the airport. I am now looking for new people to operate the Cafe which is very busy in the summer.

I am interested to hear what is the favourite food of pilots when I decide to redevelop the cafe.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sam Betley
Airport Manager
01286 830 800

Final 3 Greens
29th Jul 2006, 12:39
Bacon sarnies :D

Chesty Morgan
29th Jul 2006, 12:44
All day brekky:ok:

Big mug of strong tea:ok:

Whirlygig
29th Jul 2006, 12:45
Tea, tea and more tea!

Seriously, if you could give some thought to those who are allergic to gluten (Coeliac) and wheat, that's be grand.

Cheers

Whirls

hafez
29th Jul 2006, 12:58
Battered Mars Bar? Might be interesting :p

And I agree with Chesty Morgan, All day brekkie, can't go wrong at all!

chevvron
29th Jul 2006, 13:11
Beans and scrambled egg.

maggioneato
29th Jul 2006, 13:46
All day brekkie freshly cooked, bacon/sausage sarnies, chips with whatever, the sort of stuff that doesn't take ages to cook, the great unhealthy stuff I don't get at home, and nice friendly people to cook it. Not that the last lot were unfriendly. I notice no mention of salad. :ok:
Does that mean there is no food going at the moment, or are you about to don the apron Sam.

A2QFI
29th Jul 2006, 13:55
If it is possible to support your local suppliers it might be great for you sell decent bacon (not the supermarket junk full of water), free range eggs and that sort of thing. This would help your local colleagues, provide a quality product and you could charge a bit more for it on the basis that is good stuff. I guess you might have peaks and troughs of demand and what I am suggesting may not be practicable. A quality product at a good price has got to be a good start IMHO.

robinpiper
29th Jul 2006, 14:06
HP Beans , not heinz.

Leaves cockpits smelling fresher in my experience.

May not work for everyone!

172driver
29th Jul 2006, 15:53
Hamburgers - the 100 quid variety :E Nice steaks, all day brekkie (as mentioned above with REAL bacon :ok: :ok: !!) Given where you are located some fish perhaps (and I don't mean fish n'chips). In fact - anything but the usual horrendous sandwiches :=

Hireandhire
30th Jul 2006, 18:58
Baked potatos are easy to do in a microwave, with choice of fillings direct from the "all day breakfast" components.....often seen as a healthy option too.

regards
HnH
(I'd visit again if the aircraft was flyable!)

flyboyike
30th Jul 2006, 19:52
My requests:

French Toast for breakfast.

Hamburgers or Chicken Sandwiches for lunch.

Steaks or some such for dinner.

Make sure that the dishes all have aviation names, like French Toast would be "Caravelle", the hamburger might be "The B-17" or something.

BEagle
30th Jul 2006, 20:02
Why do so many pilots eat this awful lorry drivers' greasy spoon fodder?

You won't find that sort of peasant food at any typical French airfield restaurant!

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Jul 2006, 20:04
An alternative theory might be that anyone who's spending £200 to come and visit you could actually afford £15 for a decent meal ... particularly if their passengers are paying!

airborne_artist
30th Jul 2006, 20:40
How about some fine Welsh lamb? Roast leg, grilled chops, a hotpot or a casserole would all go down well IMHO. Served with boiled spuds, spring greens and carrots. Followed by cheese or apple pie and cream, with some decent coffee.

Human Factor
30th Jul 2006, 21:08
Curry.

... and for the benefit of those who monitor bandwidth, curry.

treadigraph
30th Jul 2006, 22:00
I seem to remember you got a really nice slice of home made fruit cake to go with your afternoon cuppa at Sandown a decade or two back - excellent if you are just peckish and not ravenous!

172driver
30th Jul 2006, 22:15
Why do so many pilots eat this awful lorry drivers' greasy spoon fodder?

Perhaps because that's what they are at heart ? ;)

Seriously - the restaurant can be a lot more important to the future of any airfield than meets the eye. On the continent there are any number of small fields that sport a good, sometimes excellent restaurant. These then attract locals, mostly not interested in aviation. Then two important things happen:

1) some of said locals do get an interest in flying and perhaps actually get a license

2) when the NIMBYs start their complaints about airfield noise (as they invariably do at some stage), aviation has already earned brownie points with the general public. Closing down a place you take your family to on a Sunday to watch These magnificent Men and Women in their Flying Machines is a lot harder than some sinister place where people in hi-vis vests (sorry, couldn't resist) go about their business behind a 'keep out' sign.

Chesty Morgan
30th Jul 2006, 22:18
I don't think it's been mentioned yet but a barbecue ALWAYS goes down well on a Friday evening. Cold beer, burnt meat. Ahhhh bliss!

bingoboy
30th Jul 2006, 22:43
Bacon and egg sarnie, well done chips and free coffee top ups.

For the exotic (ie the missus) - a welsh lamb (warm and freshly roasted) pannini or some such fancy bread with a tasty fresh salad in sesame oil.

For the baggage (ie sprogs) sausage (local) and beans (57).

Keef
30th Jul 2006, 22:57
Hello Sam!

I'm the bloke who used to live over the road in Llithfaen...

As they said: gourmet food isn't essential. All-day breakfast and equivalents - bacon sarnie, sausage sarnie, hot dog, burger - is what it takes. Mustard is essential for some.
Tea and coffee, and cold fizzies for hot weather.

Cake and sticky buns are a nice add-on, but must be fresh.

If the caterers can offer that AND some upmarket food as well, that's excellent. But don't fall for the "posh lunches, so no all-day brekkie" trick.

See you on August 19th - I hope there'll be food for the Studes Fly-In!

aerobatic_dude
30th Jul 2006, 23:15
All day brekkie, breakfast baps. The folk in Haverfodwest seem to have gotten the menu about right.

flyboyike
30th Jul 2006, 23:51
Bacon and egg sarnie, well done chips and free coffee top ups.

Pardon my typically American ignorance of the rest of the world, but what for the love of Wilbur Wright is a sarnie?

SkyHawk-N
31st Jul 2006, 01:00
Pardon my typically American ignorance of the rest of the world, but what for the love of Wilbur Wright is a sarnie?

A 'sarnie' is a sandwich.

flyboyike
31st Jul 2006, 01:09

Of course it is, whatever was I thinking!

hollywood285
31st Jul 2006, 08:35
Dare I put my head above the parapet and say the healthy option might go down well?

S-Works
31st Jul 2006, 10:07
6 Oysters with a sprinkle of lemon and a dash of Tabasco. Followed by either a whole seabass with a rocket and parmesan salad or a whole grilled lobster with truffle mayonaise and the same salad. Coffee and mints.

All available at Christies in Guernsey after a quick 1:20 flight down and a short cab ride.

Transport cafe style grease is not my idea of flying out for lunch!

Where ever possible I head for the CI or continent for my lunch trips. It makes the non flyers happier as well!!

172driver
31st Jul 2006, 10:21
6 Oysters with a sprinkle of lemon and a dash of Tabasco. Followed by either a whole seabass with a rocket and parmesan salad or a whole grilled lobster with truffle mayonaise and the same salad. Coffee and mints.

... and don't forget the crabs in Alderney :ok: :ok: :ok:

S-Works
31st Jul 2006, 11:22
... and don't forget the crabs in Alderney :ok: :ok: :ok:
I don't want to know where you got crabs........ :p

benhurr
31st Jul 2006, 11:39
Ah Haverfordwest faggotts, mushy peas chips and gravy - fond memories.

Leicester or Netherthorpe for all day brekkie.

Guernsey or Ostend for Oysters and posh nosh (and fuel and fags)

I want my aeroplane back and bin my proper flying job:{

Proper suet pudding like me granny used to make...

OK I am hungry now

172driver
31st Jul 2006, 11:58
I don't want to know where you got crabs........ :p

Well..... not from the Oxford English Dictionary :eek:

The crab ;) still tasted nice, though :ok:

gcolyer
31st Jul 2006, 12:09
I think the key is not to use standard supermarket toot. Instead use local farm produce, local veg, local salad.

Ban microwaves, especialy for baked tatoes...i mean how can it be a backed tatty if it is nuked?

My list:

1) Steaks
2) Burgers (not 2% meat type product 98% scrotum, flem, dandruff, floor sweepings)
3) Fish
4) Seafood platter
5) Grilled Chicken
6) Lamb
7) Salads (get a salad cook book, dont just bung a bit of green stuff a tomato and a bit of cucmber on a plate)
8) Home made lasagne

Tatties need to be real tatties hand peeled and chopped, not smash or aunt bessies frozen roasties (which are actualy deep fried)

I can go on forever.

Zulu Alpha
31st Jul 2006, 16:35
I like the food at Compton Abbas and Old Buckenham. A nice mixture of all day breakfast, nice burgers & salad (and chips), freshly cooked omelettes and salad plus Lasagne and salad and a few other daily specials.

I don't know if you've visited either of these airfields but they attract as many aviation enthusiasts by car as they do by air and always seem busy. This must mean that the restaurant has some customers when the weather isn't great for flying.

Nice toilets and pleasant surroundings also make a difference.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
31st Jul 2006, 22:27

Unless you are North of Lat 52 30 and South of Lat 55 00; in which case it's a butty.

Personally, I don't hold with all this foreign food. Give me a Lamb Madras every time.

aerobatic_dude
31st Jul 2006, 23:35
Must say, anytime i'm in Cork ( IE ) I must go to subway. Otherwise I wont be happy on the way home and i'll sulk if there's a xwind.

maggioneato
1st Aug 2006, 06:48
I've just thought on about the restaurant that used to be upstairs. That used to be so busy we had to book a table. Week end carvery would be excellent, but a lot of extra work. Is it even usable any more? Great view of all the thuds and goes.

Kolibear
1st Aug 2006, 20:22
We just been to The Crab & Lobster. Now theres an eaterie that lives up to expectation.

I think that the key lies in offering a good selection - the all-day brekkie, on a plate or in a sarnie; home made cakes rather than pre packed slices; jacket spud or cold meats & cheese and salad.

GullWing
2nd Aug 2006, 19:54
got to agree with everyone on the all day brekkie/curry/sarnies (not together of course!)

Just hope I get the PPL quickly so I can come all the way down the coast from Hawarden to sample your finest! :) :) Sounds like a good excuse for some brunch on a sunday!

Best of luck with it
GullWing

On-MarkBob
9th Aug 2006, 22:38
Spam, Spam, Chips, Beanz and Spam, for any good flying circus. Plenty of beanz, nothing like the wind behind you on a long flight!

Jinkster
9th Aug 2006, 23:18
in Wales - something traditonally Welsh, Scotland - Scottish etc etc

Anymore info required -I require free landing fee first :p

Deano777
9th Aug 2006, 23:54
Salad Sandwiches, with ham & cheese etc
Cold meats
Jacket potatos

Basically anything that means I can still pass my class 1 medical in 15 years time and not (as has already been mentioned) a lorry driver style cafe :)